Could you recommend a project to me please?

• Thread starter osnarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the conversation discussed ideas for a large programming project that could be completed outside of a class. Suggestions included building a traffic simulator, creating a calculus tool, making a game or joining an open source project. The individual expressed interest in exploring open source projects for programming practice.
osnarf
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if somebody could give me some ideas for a relatively large programming project to work on that will take some time to complete. It's not for a class or anything, I just want to work on my programming, so it doesn't have to be any specific topic or type of problem.

Thanks again.

EDIT: actually, if you could suggest a project that would best be coded using MATLAB and also a project that would best be coded using a lower level language, that would be even better.

Technology news on Phys.org
This is impossible to answer, because we don't know what interests you.

You could do a computer project related to pretty much anything - math, science, sport, music, gardening, whatever.

Start by thinking about things in the real world that interest you. Then think how a computer could be useful in that situation. There's your project...

You can do a project on virtually everything!

Some example:
- Build a traffic simulator that shows roads and intersections and which can be used to simulate a lot of traffic. You can even build a program that optimalizes your network. (this was my freshman project on programming)
- If you like math, then why not build a tool that can handle mathematical functions and perhaps be able to derive, integrate, factor, find zeroes,... A calculus tool if you will.
- Build a program that gives you a monte carlo simulation of some popular game, like monopoly. To figure out what place on the board has the highest probabilty to end up.
- Make a game like tetris or a game that builds and solves mazes.

You see, you can do a project on a lot of things. So, what topic do you like best? Maybe we can give you better suggestions...

You could also join in any of hundreds of open source projects out there and contribute greatly.

Hi, thanks for your ideas everyone, sorry I was away.

I think I'm going to check out open source actually, sounds interesting.

Related to Could you recommend a project to me please?

1. What is the purpose of a project recommendation?

A project recommendation is a suggestion for a specific research or experimental project that aligns with your interests, skills, and goals. It can help guide you in choosing a project that is both engaging and achievable.

2. How do you determine which project to recommend?

I determine project recommendations based on your research interests and background, as well as the resources and equipment available. I also take into consideration the feasibility and potential impact of the project.

3. Can you recommend a project outside of my field of study?

Yes, I can recommend a project outside of your field of study if it aligns with your interests and if you have the necessary background and resources to pursue it. Exploring different fields can also lead to unique and innovative ideas.

4. Are there any specific criteria you look for in a project recommendation?

When recommending a project, I consider factors such as the potential contribution to the scientific community, the feasibility of the project, and its alignment with your skills and interests. I also take into account any specific requirements or guidelines set by your institution or funding organization.

5. Is it possible to receive multiple project recommendations?

Yes, it is possible to receive multiple project recommendations. I can provide a list of potential projects that align with your interests and goals. However, it is ultimately up to you to choose the project that best fits your needs and resources.