How Does the Charge Q Affect Forces Between Q1 and Q2?

In summary, a negative point charge Q_2 and a positive point charge Q_1 are placed near each other. When a negative charge Q is placed in the middle between the two point charges, the magnitude of the resultant forces on Q_1 and Q_2 doubles.

Homework Statement

A positive point charge [itex]Q_1[/itex] (4.0 µC) and a negative point charge [itex]Q_2[/itex] are placed near each other. When a negative charge [itex]Q[/itex] is placed in the middle between the two point charges, the magnitude of the resultant forces on [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] doubles. What is the charge of [itex]Q[/itex]?
(answer: -3.0 microcoulombs)

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law ([itex]|F|=k\frac{|Q_1||Q_2|}{r^2}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I've written down the equations for the resultant forces for [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] when [itex]Q[/itex] is present and when it is not. It's quite a lot of stuff to type, so I'm going to summarise the gist of it:

$$2|F_{R,Q2}|=|F_{R',Q2}|\\
-2k\frac{|Q_1||Q_2|}{4r^2}=k\frac{|Q_2|}{r^2}(|Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4})\\
\Rightarrow |Q|=-\frac{|Q_1|}{4}=-1.0 \ \mathrm{\mu C}$$
where [itex]2r[/itex] is the distance between [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex]

I hope someone can help me out here.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
1729 said:
$$2|F_{R,Q2}|=|F_{R',Q2}|\\
-2k\frac{|Q_1||Q_2|}{4r^2}=k\frac{|Q_2|}{r^2}(|Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4})\\$$
Be careful with the signs. Note in the first equation above the left hand side is a positive quantity. In the second equation, the left hand side is negative. How did that come about?

We are working with vectors that lie on the same line, but point into opposite directions. I've more or less defined the unit vector to point from Q_1 to Q_2, from left to right, that is.

1729 said:
We are working with vectors that lie on the same line, but point into opposite directions. I've more or less defined the unit vector to point from Q_1 to Q_2, from left to right, that is.
OK. So, your equation

##-2k\frac{|Q_1||Q_2|}{4r^2}=k\frac{|Q_2|}{r^2}(|Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4})## is a vector equation where a negative force means that the force is to the left.

Note that the problem states that the magnitude of the force on Q2 doubles. Does that necessarily mean that the force vector doubles?

I believe so. We are multiplying a vector by a number, by doubling the magnitude the force vector would double along with it.

If a baseball initially has a momentum vector of 10 kg⋅m/s due east, and then later you're told that the baseball has a momentum vector with twice the magnitude (20 kg⋅ m/s), what can you conclude about the direction of the final momentum vector of the baseball?

It also might help to think about the following. Suppose charge Q (in the middle) has a very small amount of negative charge. Would placing Q between Q1 and Q2 cause the magnitude of the net force on Q2 to increase or decrease?

TSny said:
If a baseball initially has a momentum vector of 10 kg⋅m/s due east, and then later you're told that the baseball has a momentum vector with twice the magnitude (20 kg⋅ m/s), what can you conclude about the direction of the final momentum vector of the baseball?
It's eastbound? I think I don't understand your analogy.

TSny said:
It also might help to think about the following. Suppose charge Q (in the middle) has a very small amount of negative charge. Would placing Q between Q1 and Q2 cause the magnitude of the net force on Q2 to increase or decrease?
The magnitude would very slightly decrease. Q_1 and Q_2 attract each other heavily, whilst Q and Q_2 would repel each other ever so slightly.

1729 said:
It's eastbound? I think I don't understand your analogy.
If all you know is the magnitude of a vector, then you don't know anything about its direction. So, even though the initial momentum of the baseball was eastward, there is no reason why the final momentum would also have to be eastward. Maybe the baseball got hit by a bat so that the final momentum is 20 kg⋅m/s westward. Or it got "popped up" so that it's final momentum is 20 kg⋅m/s upward. The only thing they tell you in the problem is that the magnitude of the final force on Q2 is twice the magnitude of the initial force on Q2.
The magnitude would very slightly decrease. Q_1 and Q_2 attract each other heavily, whilst Q and Q_2 would repel each other ever so slightly.
Yes, the net force on Q2 would decrease. And if you made Q a little more negative, the magnitude of the net force on Q2 would decrease even more. So, think about how it is possible for the magnitude of the net force on Q2 to end up being twice as much as it was before bringing in Q.

Likes 1729
I understand now. Since magnitude is irrespective of direction, we shouldn't consider the vector's direction when talking about its magnitude. Hence:
$$|k\frac{|Q_1||Q_2|}{2r^2}|=|k\frac{|Q_2|}{r^2}|\cdot||Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4}|\\
\Leftrightarrow 0 \ \mathrm{N} = |k\frac{|Q_2|}{r^2}|\cdot||Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4}-\frac{|Q_1|}{2}|\\
\Rightarrow |Q|=\frac{|Q_1|}{4}+\frac{|Q_1|}{2}=|-3.0 \ \mathrm{\mu C}|$$
Thank you for taking the time to explain!

1729 said:
I understand now. Since magnitude is irrespective of direction, we shouldn't consider the vector's direction when talking about its magnitude. Hence:
$$|k\frac{|Q_1||Q_2|}{2r^2}|=|k\frac{|Q_2|}{r^2}|\cdot||Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4}|\\
\Leftrightarrow 0 \ \mathrm{N} = |k\frac{|Q_2|}{r^2}|\cdot||Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4}-\frac{|Q_1|}{2}|$$
The first equation looks good, but does the second equation necessarily follow from the first equation? Cancelling common factors, these two equations are
$$\frac{|Q_1|}{2} =\left | |Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4} \right |\\
0 = \left | |Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4}-\frac{|Q_1|}{2} \right |$$

From the first equation, you can get $$0 = \left | |Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4} \right | - \frac{|Q_1|}{2}$$ What is the justification for writing this as $$0 = \left | |Q|-\frac{|Q_1|}{4}-\frac{|Q_1|}{2} \right |$$ I'm not saying it's wrong in this case, but in general it is not true that ##|x - y| - |z| = |x - y - z|##.

Likes 1729

1. What is a Coulomb resultant force?

A Coulomb resultant force is the net force acting on a charged particle due to the presence of other charged particles in its vicinity. It is also known as an electric force and is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How is a Coulomb resultant force calculated?

A Coulomb resultant force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the direction of a Coulomb resultant force?

The direction of a Coulomb resultant force is along the line connecting the two charged particles, and it can be attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the particles.

4. Can a Coulomb resultant force be zero?

Yes, a Coulomb resultant force can be zero if the charges of the two particles are equal and opposite, canceling out the force between them.

5. How does distance affect the magnitude of a Coulomb resultant force?

The magnitude of a Coulomb resultant force decreases as the distance between the two charged particles increases. This is due to the inverse square relationship in Coulomb's Law.