Position of a charge (out of 3) with a net force of 0

In summary, two point charges, q1=50 μC and q2=-25 μC, are placed 1.0 m apart. To find the position of a third charge, q3=20 μC, where the net force on it is zero, a quadratic equation is formed and a complex number solution is obtained. This may be due to the forces pointing in opposite directions.
doggydan42

Homework Statement

Point charges ##q_1=50 \mu C## and ##q_1=-25 \mu C## are placed 1.0 m apart.
Where must a third charge ##q_3=20 \mu C## be placed so that the net force on it is zero?

Homework Equations

$$\vec F=\frac{1}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0}\frac{|q_1q_2|}{r^2}\hat r$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##r_1## be the distance from ##q_1## to ##q_3##, and ##r_2## be the distance from ##q_2## to ##q_3##
$$\vec F=0=\frac{1}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0}(\frac{|q_1q_3|}{{r_1}^2}+\frac{|q_3q_2|}{{r_2}^2})
\\ -\frac{|q_2q_3|}{{r_2}^2}=\frac{|q_3q_1|}{{r_1}^2} \Rightarrow -\frac{|q_2|}{{r_2}^2}=\frac{|q_1|}{{r_1}^2}
\\ -{r_1}^2|q_2|={r_2}^2|q_1|$$
Plug in values:
$$-{r_1}^2|q_2|={r_2}^2|q_1| \Rightarrow -{r_1}^2(25 \mu C)={r_2}^2(50 \mu C)
\\ -{r_1}^2=2{r_2}^2$$

I am not sure if I missed something in my approach, but I do not know how to continue.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a sketch?
Can you describe in words where the charge should be?

The approach is good so far.

Would the charge be between ##q_1## and ##q_2##

If so, then I was able to get a quadratic equation, but I get a complex number.

$$r_1+r_2=1 m \Rightarrow r_1 = 1-r_2
\\ -{r_1}^2=2{r_2}^2 \Rightarrow -(1-r_2)^2=2{r_2}^2
\\ 1-2r_2+{r_2}^2=-2{r_2}^2 \Rightarrow 1-2{r_2}+3{r_2}^2=0$$
When using the quadratic formula, the discriminant becomes ##\sqrt{4-4(1)(3)}=\sqrt{4-12}=\sqrt{-8}##

Did I make a mistake somewhere? How can the position be complex?

If the charge is in between, in which direction do the two forces point?
Does this explain why you didn't find a solution?

Strictly speaking you should have considered the direction for the initial equation with the forces already. You only calculated the magnitude.

1. What is the significance of a charge having a net force of 0?

When a charge has a net force of 0, it means that the forces acting on the charge are balanced. This could be due to the presence of equal and opposite forces, or the charge being at rest in an electric field. In either case, the charge will not experience any acceleration.

2. How does the position of a charge affect its net force?

The position of a charge can affect its net force in two ways. Firstly, the distance between two charges affects the strength of the electric force between them, according to the inverse-square law. Secondly, the direction of the electric force depends on the relative positions of the charges and their signs.

3. Can a charge have a net force of 0 if it is moving?

Yes, a charge can have a net force of 0 even if it is moving. This can occur if the charge is moving with a constant velocity in a uniform electric field, or if it is experiencing equal and opposite forces in different directions.

4. How do you calculate the position of a charge with a net force of 0?

To calculate the position of a charge with a net force of 0, you need to consider the forces acting on the charge and their directions. Then, using the principles of vector addition, you can determine the position where the forces balance out and result in a net force of 0.

5. What are some real-life examples of a charge with a net force of 0?

A common example of a charge with a net force of 0 is a charged particle in a particle accelerator. The particle is kept in a circular motion by a magnetic field and a perpendicular electric field, resulting in a net force of 0. Another example is a charged object at rest on a non-conductive surface, where the repulsive force between the charges in the object and the surface is balanced by the force of gravity.