Coulomb's Law - Electric Force Between Two Copper Coins

In summary: Wow, this actually was the problem haha, finally got it. How stupid :PThanks so much!Glad to help! It's not a stupid problem though, it's common to make small slips that are hard to spot. That's why it's good to check things symbolically and conceptually first, instead of just plugging in numbers.
prosteve037

Homework Statement

We know that the magnitudes of the negative charge on the electron and the positive charge on the proton are equal. Suppose, however, that these magnitudes differ from each other by 0.00094%. With what force would two copper coins, placed 1.1 m apart, repel each other? Assume that each coin contains 3.2 × 10^22 copper atoms. (Hint: A neutral copper atom contains 29 protons and 29 electrons.)

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law:
[itex]\textit{F = k}_{e}\frac{{q}_{1}{q}_{2}}{{r}^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Although my final answer was marked incorrect, here are the steps I took to get there. Hopefully someone will be able to help me spot it out :P

First, since the magnitudes of charges between protons and electrons differ by 0.00094%...

[itex]\frac{|q_{proton}|}{|q_{electron}|}\textit{ = 0.0000094}[/itex]

[itex]\textit{|q}_{proton}\textit{| = 0.0000094 × |q}_{electron}\textit{|}[/itex]

[itex]\textit{|q}_{proton}\textit{| = 0.0000094 × (1.6 × 10}^{-19)}\textit{ C}[/itex]

[itex]\textit{|q}_{proton}\textit{| = 1504 × 10}^{-27}\textit{ C}[/itex]

(Assuming that protons were the ones with the lower magnitude)

So then that means for one copper coin atom with 29 protons and 29 electrons, ...

[itex]\textit{n}_{p}\textit{ = Number of Protons}[/itex] & [itex]\textit{n}_{e}\textit{ = Number of Electrons}[/itex]

[itex]\sum{Q}\textit{ = (q}_{proton}\textit{ × n}_{p}\textit{) + (q}_{electron}\textit{ × n}_{e}\textit{)}[/itex]

[itex]\sum{Q}\textit{ = [(1504 × 10}^{-27}\textit{ C) × 29 protons] + [(-1.6 × 10}^{-19}\textit{ C) × 29 electrons]}[/itex]

[itex]\sum{Q}\textit{ = -4.64 × 10}^{-18}\textit{ C}[/itex] Which is the charge that one atom holds.

Multiplying, ...

[itex]\textit{Q}_{coin}\textit{ = (-4.64 × 10}^{-18}\textit{ C) × (3.2 × 10}^{22}\textit{ atoms) = -148,479 C}[/itex]

So one coin, under the conditions of the problem statement, will have a charge of -148,479 C?... This seems very high...

Going further with this...

[itex]\textit{F = k}_{e}\frac{{{Q}_{coin}}^{2}}{{r}^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\textit{F = (8.99 × 10}^{9}\textit{ }\frac{{N}\cdot{m}^{2}}{{C}^{2}}\textit{) }\frac{{(-148,479 C)}^{2}}{{(1.1 m)}^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\textit{F = 1.6 ×10}^{20}\textit{ N}[/itex]

Again, this was marked as incorrect by the HW website. Where did I go wrong? I'll need to get the next attempt right or I'll only be getting half credit for getting the units right :/

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement says that the charges differ from each other by the given percentage, not that one is that percentage of the other. So if p is the percent difference, it would be something like qe - qp = (p/100) qe.

gneill said:
The problem statement says that the charges differ from each other by the given percentage, not that one is that percentage of the other. So if p is the percent difference, it would be something like qe - qp = (p/100) qe.

Ohh okay. But is all the other math good?

Here's what I get if I use this in the same method:

[itex]\textit{q}_{p}\textit{ - q}_{e}\textit{ = 0.0000094}[/itex]

Charge of Proton:

[itex]\textit{q}_{p}\textit{ = 940,000,000,000,016 × 10}^{-20}\textit{ C}[/itex]

Net Charge of a Copper Coin Atom:

[itex]\textit{Q}_{net}\textit{ = (29) (940,000,000,000,016 × 10}^{-20}\textit{ C - 1.6 × 10}^{-19}\textit{ C) =}\frac{ 0.0002726 C}{atom}[/itex]

Net Charge of a Copper Coin:

[itex]\textit{(0.0002726}\frac{ C}{atom}\textit{) × (3.2 × 10}^{22}\textit{ atoms) = 87,232 × 10}^{14}\textit{ C}[/itex]

Force Between Two Copper Coins 1.1 m Apart:

[itex]\textit{F = (8.9875 × 10}^{9}\frac{{N}\cdot{m}^{2}}{{C}^{2}}\textit{) }\frac{{({87,232 × 10}^{14} C)}^{2}}{{(1.1 m)}^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]\textbf{F = 5.65 × 10}^{47}\textbf{ N}[/itex]

Does this sound reasonable? It's waaayy bigger than what my previous attempts were, by orders of magnitude.

Thanks

Did you consider the fact that protons and electrons have opposite charge ? It seems not...

prosteve037 said:
Ohh okay. But is all the other math good?
The method looks okay after the charge difference is calculated. To be sure, you might consider doing the math symbolically first (just manipulate the variables) rather than plugging in numbers from the start. It's generally easier to spot algebra slips that way.

Here's what I get if I use this in the same method:

[itex]\textit{q}_{p}\textit{ - q}_{e}\textit{ = 0.0000094}[/itex]
A percent difference is generally expressed as follows. Suppose you have two quantities A and B and you wish to ind the percent difference between B and A. The formula would be:

[itex] p = \left( \frac{A - B}{A} \right) \times 100 [/itex]

Note that the numerical difference (A - B) is divided by the original value, A. Multiplying by 100 makes it a percent (per hundred) so don't forget to take it into account.

Markus Hanke said:
Did you consider the fact that protons and electrons have opposite charge ? It seems not...

I thought about this and wasn't sure. Would the sign of charge matter from the very beginning? I didn't consider it when calculating the percent difference but I did consider it in finding the net charge of each copper coin atom.
gneill said:
The method looks okay after the charge difference is calculated. To be sure, you might consider doing the math symbolically first (just manipulate the variables) rather than plugging in numbers from the start. It's generally easier to spot algebra slips that way.

A percent difference is generally expressed as follows. Suppose you have two quantities A and B and you wish to ind the percent difference between B and A. The formula would be:

[itex] p = \left( \frac{A - B}{A} \right) \times 100 [/itex]

Note that the numerical difference (A - B) is divided by the original value, A. Multiplying by 100 makes it a percent (per hundred) so don't forget to take it into account.

Ah, I forgot to account for the denominator [itex]\textit{q}_{e}[/itex].

I get 1.4 × 1010 N with the denominator accounted for. I've already tried that answer though, and it was wrong :[

Last edited:
prosteve037 said:

I get 1.4 × 1010 N with the denominator accounted for. I've already tried that answer though, and it was wrong :[

It's possible that the software is being picky about the significant figures and accuracy in the final digit. When I calculate the value in the same way I obtain 1.451 x 1010N, which might be rounded to 1.5 x 1010N for 2 significant figures.

gneill said:
It's possible that the software is being picky about the significant figures and accuracy in the final digit. When I calculate the value in the same way I obtain 1.451 x 1010N, which might be rounded to 1.5 x 1010N for 2 significant figures.

Wow, this actually was the problem haha, finally got it. How stupid :P

Thanks so much! :smile:

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Coulomb's Law relate to two copper coins?

In the case of two copper coins, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the electric force between them based on their respective charges and the distance between them. This can help us understand how the coins interact with each other due to their electric charges.

3. Why are copper coins used in the context of Coulomb's Law?

Copper is a good conductor of electricity and is commonly used in electrical circuits. In the context of Coulomb's Law, copper coins are used to represent charged particles due to their ability to hold a charge and their accessibility for experimentation.

4. How is Coulomb's Law used in real-world applications?

Coulomb's Law is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing electrical circuits and understanding the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry to study the effects of electric forces on different materials.

5. What are the limitations of Coulomb's Law?

While Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism, it has limitations in certain scenarios. It assumes that the charged particles are stationary and that there are no external forces acting on them. It also does not take into account relativistic effects at high speeds. Additionally, it only applies to point charges and does not account for the size or shape of the charged objects.