Coulombs Law: magnitude of the force between two point charges

You got it :)In summary, the magnitude of the force between two point charges, Q1 = -2e located at (-3.60 cm, +4.10 cm) and Q2 = -8e located at (-0.60 cm, -8.60 cm), calculated using the equation F = kq1q2/r^2, is 2.16 x 10^(-25) N. The distance between the two charges is 0.13050 m. The answer is obtained by converting the units to SI units and using the value of ke2 = 2.307x10-24N.cm2.
Pruddy

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitude of the force between two point charges, Q1 = -2e located at (-3.60 cm, +4.10 cm) and Q2 = -8e located at (-0.60 cm, -8.60 cm). Give your answer in the form "a.bc x 10^(y) N".

Homework Equations

F = kq1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) I changed the unit vectors to meters, then I added, squared, and got the square roots of the vectors to get r = sqrt(((-0.036 +(- 0.006))^2)+((0.041+(-0.08))^2))
b.) Then I multiplied the value of "K" by the value of "8e" and "2e" and divided all three values by r^2

Physics news on Phys.org

Pruddy said:

a.) I changed the unit vectors to meters, then I added, squared, and got the square roots of the vectors to get r = sqrt(((-0.036 +(- 0.006))^2)+((0.041+(-0.08))^2))
b.) Then I multiplied the value of "K" by the value of "8e" and "2e" and divided all three values by r^2
Sounds reasonable - what was your question?
[edit] see ehild below - it is not really all that clear what your reasoning is.

Converting everything to SI units first does help make sure you get SI units out. However, you don't have to.

Where qi=nie (n is an integer and e is the elementary charge) then |F1,2| = (ke2)n1n2/r2

Since: ke2 = 2.307x10-24N.cm2 you can do everything in cm.

Last edited:

Pruddy said:

Homework Statement

Determine the magnitude of the force between two point charges, Q1 = -2e located at (-3.60 cm, +4.10 cm) and Q2 = -8e located at (-0.60 cm, -8.60 cm). Give your answer in the form "a.bc x 10^(y) N".

Homework Equations

F = kq1q2/r2

Why did you add the two vectors? The Coulomb force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two point charges. How do you get the distance between two points from their location? ehild

Treat the two given points as two position vectors in 2D.

Find the magnitude of the displacement between these two position vectors !

That gives you "r"

Hi, hms.tech
Thanks for your reply. I solved the two positions as two vectors using pythogoras theory. For example sqrt(((-0.036 +(- 0.006))^2)+((0.041+(-0.08))^2)), I do not know if it gives this solution gives me the distance between two point charges.

If you don't know if the method gives the answer you want, then why did you use it?

In general, if you have points [itex]P=(p_x,p_y)[/itex] and [itex]Q=(q_x,q_y)[/itex] defined against an origin [itex]O=(0,0)[/itex], then the distance between them is the length of the vector from P to Q which is given by change in position

[tex]\overrightarrow{PQ} = \overrightarrow{OQ} - \overrightarrow{OP} = (q_x-p_x,q_y-p_y)[/tex]... that length would be: [tex]|\overrightarrow{PQ}| = \sqrt{(q_x-p_x)^2 + (q_y-p_y)^2}[/tex]... your working does not look like this.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have tried solving this problem several times but my answers are still wrong.I don't know if the error is from the radius or if i am supposed multiply each charge by 1.602 x 10^(-19), since e = 1.602 x 10^(-19)

Attemped effort:
8.99 x 10^(9) x 2(1.602 x 10^(-19)) x 8(1.602 x 10^(-19))/.13050^2

= 2.17 x 10^(-26)

I have solved this problem a billion times but its still wrong. Please someone help:cry:. I will really appreciate it...:happy:)

Pruddy said:
Hi,
I have tried solving this problem several times but my answers are still wrong.I don't know if the error is from the radius or if i am supposed multiply each charge by 1.602 x 10^(-19), since e = 1.602 x 10^(-19)

Attemped effort:
8.99 x 10^(9) x 2(1.602 x 10^(-19)) x 8(1.602 x 10^(-19))/.13050^2

= 2.17 x 10^(-26)

I have solved this problem a billion times but its still wrong. Please someone help:cry:. I will really appreciate it...:happy:)

The magnitude is wrong. Try again.

ehild

Alright. But this what I got for the distance (r)

r^2 = (-0.006m-(-0.036m))^2 + (-0.086m-0.041m)^2
=.01703
square root of .01703 = .13050

Just put it in your calculator again and make sure you don't mistype and that all your order of operations is correct. You're off by some power of 10, which usually means you just didn't enter the calculation correctly.

ehild said:
The magnitude is wrong. Try again.

ehild

I have resolved it and my answer is 2.17 x 10^(-25). But the answer is still wrong...

Pruddy said:
I have resolved it and my answer is 2.17 x 10^(-25). But the answer is still wrong...

If you calculate accurately, it is 2.16 x 10^(-25) N. Have you added the unit (N)?

ehild

I get 2.1676x10-25N ... how many sig fig should you keep?
What makes you think this is the wrong answer?

Simon Bridge said:
I get 2.1676x10-25N ... how many sig fig should you keep?
What makes you think this is the wrong answer?

Yes your right, the answer is correct... I was having a confusion with the units... Thank you

a.bc x 10^(y) N

ah riight. easy mistake ;)
One of the disciplines is to keep the units with the numbers when you substitute them into the equation. You get to use the laws of algebra on units too.

It's all good though.

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a basic principle of electromagnetism that describes the magnitude of the force between two stationary electrically charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How is Coulomb's Law expressed mathematically?

Coulomb's Law can be mathematically expressed as F=k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two point charges, k is the proportionality constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of measurement for electric charge?

The unit of measurement for electric charge is the Coulomb, named after Charles-Augustin de Coulomb who first discovered and quantified the relationship between electric charges.

How does the distance between two charges affect the magnitude of the force?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the force between them decreases.

What is the significance of Coulomb's constant?

Coulomb's constant, denoted by k, is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism that determines the strength of the force between two electrically charged particles. It is equal to 8.98755 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.