Countable sets | If k:A->N is 1-to-1, then A is

• Thread starter michonamona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, if a 1-to-1 function k maps a set A to the set of natural numbers, then A is at most countable, meaning it can be either finite or countably infinite. This means that there is a possibility for A to be either a set with a finite number of elements or a set with an infinite number of elements, depending on the specific mapping of k.
michonamona
Countable sets | If k:A-->N is 1-to-1, then A is...

Homework Statement

Suppose we found a 1-to-1 function k that maps the set A to the set N, where N is the set of natural numbers. What can we say about the set A?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 'A is at most countable.' I understand this. But my question is, is it also possible for A to be finite, as well as infinite? i.e. its possible for A to be either

{a1, a2, a3}

or

{a1, a2, a3, a4, a5,...}

all the way to infinity.

Thanks,

M

Physics news on Phys.org

Depends on what you mean by '1-to-1'. k(a1)=1, k(a2)=2 and k(a3)=3 is a 1-to-1 (if you mean injective) map from {a1,a2,a3}->N. But it's not onto (surjective). If you take '1-to-1' to be bijective, then sure, A is countably infinite.

k is injective and that's all we know. I just want to know if its possible, given that k is injective, for A to be finite or infinite, not whether if it actually is.

michonamona said:
k is injective and that's all we know. I just want to know if its possible, given that k is injective, for A to be finite or infinite, not whether if it actually is.

I already gave you an example where k is injective and A is finite. You give me an example where it's infinite.

Ok, suppose k is injective.

k(a1)=1, k(a2)=2, k(a3)=3, k(a4)=4, k(a5)=5, k(a6)=6,..., k(am)=m, k(a(m+1))=m+1,...

So k is a mapping from {a1, a2, a3, a4, a5, a6,..., am, a(m+1),...} --->N.

So thus, A is allowed to be a countably infinite set.

All right, now what's wrong with my argument?

michonamona said:
Ok, suppose k is injective.

k(a1)=1, k(a2)=2, k(a3)=3, k(a4)=4, k(a5)=5, k(a6)=6,..., k(am)=m, k(a(m+1))=m+1,...

So k is a mapping from {a1, a2, a3, a4, a5, a6,..., am, a(m+1),...} --->N.

So thus, A is allowed to be a countably infinite set.

All right, now what's wrong with my argument?

Why do you think there is anything wrong with it? The solution said 'A is at most countable'. So yes, A can be either finite or countably infinite. Isn't that what 'at most countable' means? What's the question again?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

All right then, I was just confused by the phrase "at most countable." It would have been clearer for me if they said "A is, at the very least, countable" but we don't know whether it's finite or infinite.

My question was whether its possible for A to be finite or infinite given that k is an injection from A to N.

Ok, then we agree. A is either finite or countably infinite. "at most countable" means the same thing as "A is, at the very least, countable". You knew the answer from the beginning, it was just the phrasing.

Awesome, thanks man!

Related to Countable sets | If k:A->N is 1-to-1, then A is

1. What is the definition of a countable set?

A countable set is a set that has a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers (N). This means that each element in the set can be paired with a unique natural number, and there are no elements left over.

2. How do you prove that a set is countable?

To prove that a set is countable, you must show that there exists a one-to-one function from the set to the set of natural numbers. This can be done by listing out the elements of the set and pairing them with a unique natural number, or by using a mathematical proof such as Cantor's diagonal argument.

3. What is the significance of a set being countable?

A countable set is significant because it allows us to easily compare the size or cardinality of different sets. It also allows us to define infinite sets, such as the set of all natural numbers, which would not be possible without the concept of countability.

4. Can a set be both countable and uncountable?

No, a set cannot be both countable and uncountable. A set is either countable, meaning it has a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers, or uncountable, meaning it does not have a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

5. How does the concept of countability relate to infinity?

The concept of countability is closely related to infinity. While countable sets may have an infinite number of elements, they are still considered to be "smaller" than uncountable sets, which have a greater level of infinity. Additionally, the concept of countability allows us to define and understand infinite sets in a concrete way.