Counteracting the inertia of Earth's rotation

In summary: If you want to avoid spinning with the Earth's surface and atmosphere, you'll have to fly with a ground speed of about ##1600 \ km/h## west (at the...
It would greatly simplify your grasp of all these scenarios if you (correctly) consider that everything - from the Earth's core up to the top of its atmosphere - is on average moving along with the rotation of the Earth (including all the air).

Likes russ_watters, Vic43 and PeroK
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
You'd need to translate that into English / Physics if you want a meaningful response.

You would be describing the very hard task of keeping a flying machine flying West fast enough to keep the Sun overhead? (on the Equator, of course). Or maybe using a powerful fan to achieve the same thing.

From your posts above, I get the impression that you have argued yourself into a corner in an attempt not to be wrong. PF is not the one who's out of step here.
Seems I've been using wrong terms and confusing language. Sorry, I'm not trying not to be wrong. I guess it came across like that as my language wasn't precise and that made it hard for people to get what I meant. All good now , I think I've got my answers - I was right with the outcome of the concept , just didn't articulate the concept well enough.

Likes Vanadium 50, sophiecentaur and berkeman
Do any of you guys know of an experiment that has been done regarding this scenario?

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Vic43 said:
Do any of you guys know of an experiment that has been done regarding this scenario?
Yes, aircraft fly in the sky all the time. I imagine that at some time some airliner has been traveling west at just the right latitude and speed to cancel out Earth's rotation completely. In fact, at 56.5 degrees north or south the Earth's rotational velocity is about 575 mph, which is about the average cruising speed of a typical airliner. Anyone flying west into parts of Denmark, Sweden, or Latvia (or huge areas of Russia) is roughly canceling out Earth's rotational motion.

Likes russ_watters, berkeman, PeroK and 1 other person
Vic43 said:
What scenario?
We live in the real world and understand the physics of the Earth. What experiment could disprove our understanding.

Likes PeroK and sophiecentaur
Drakkith said:
Yes, aircraft fly in the sky all the time. I imagine that at some time some airliner has been traveling west at just the right latitude and speed to cancel out Earth's rotation completely. In fact, at 56.5 degrees north or south the Earth's rotational velocity is about 575 mph, which is about the average cruising speed of a typical airliner. Anyone flying west into parts of Denmark, Sweden, or Latvia (or huge areas of Russia) is roughly canceling out Earth's rotational motion.
What would be observed looking down at the ground from the aircraft? And I suppose it would have occurred flying east aswell, wht would be observed in this case?

• Skeptical
Likes berkeman
Vic43 said:
What would be observed looking down at the ground from the aircraft? And I suppose it would have occurred flying east aswell, wht would be observed in this case?
It seems that you have lived your whole life, secluded in an apartment, without experience of transport in the real world. Do you ever go outside, to catch a train for example?

• Sad
Likes russ_watters, Bandersnatch and berkeman
Vic43 said:
You mean like getting rid of the Earth's atmosphere and using a rocket-powered drone?
No.
And I would not be in favor of it.

Baluncore said:
It seems that you have lived your whole life, secluded in an apartment, without experience of transport in the real world. Do you ever go outside, to catch a train for example?
Why are you being disrespectful chap? Ofcourse I've experienced transport. I just never seen the earth spin under a stationary craft (relative to a position outside our atmosphere like a star or whatever). If there was a wide train with a clear bottom that had a marker on the track underneath, that was travelling, and you had a drone travelling on the train , you let the drone travel a distance with the train so it was going at the same velocity , then you hovered the drone , it would be still going the same speed as the train , but if you then flew the drone in the opposite direction of travel until you got to the marker on the track and came to a hover over that point, I would assume that the train would then move under the drone?

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes weirdoguy and PeroK
Thread is paused for a bit for Moderation...

Likes sophiecentaur
Vic43 said:
Nothing special. It would look like you're flying normally no matter what direction you're flying in.

Edit: Sorry Berk, didn't see the thread was locked.

Likes berkeman
No worries Drak. :smile:

@Vic43 -- I don't think folks are being disrespectful, some are just getting a bit frustrated that you are only understanding some parts of the explanations.

In summary, the speed of the aircraft (it needs to be a plane, not a drone) with respect to a stationary reference frame is the aircraft's speed relative to the ground, plus the speed of the ground (and air) with respect to a stationary reference frame. So if you want the aircraft's speed to be zero in a stationary reference frame (call it the star background reference frame), the aircraft has to fly west at 1000mph at the equator with respect to the Earth's surface and the associated atmosphere. As Drak points out, you can fly slower at latitudes away from the equator and still remain stationary in the stationary reference frame.

Thread is reopened in case that is not clear enough.

Edit/Add -- and if you stand at the North or South Pole, all you have to do is spin slowly (in the correct direction) to remain stationary against the star background... :smile:

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Vic43 said:
just never seen the earth spin under a stationary craft
Why do you need it to, to understand the math? The math is very simple. An airplane flying flying east to west at the equator at 1,000 mph would see the sun remain stationary in the sky. A plane flying at 500 mph would see the sun move a (1000-500)/1000 = 50% of normal speed. What's the problem?

The world has supersonic aircraft. They've flown east and they've flown west. Has one ever flown west at exactly 1,000 mph at the equator? Why does it matter, to understand what they would see?

Note, you can approximate this at higher latitudes and slower speeds. I recently "saw" the sun travel backwards on a plane ride from the US to Asia. (in quotes because I had the shades closed, but I'm sure the pilots literally saw it.)

Likes berkeman
I recently flew from the east coast of the US to the west. My plane took off at 6PM (eastern time) and arrived at 8PM (pacific time, three time zones west of my departure). I watched the sun get low in the sky and then set for nearly 5 hours.

Likes berkeman
Thanks for the extra answers everyone, appreciated. I just want to make something clear, I am not trying to prove anything or anyone wrong , I just find the topic interesting.

Likes berkeman
Don't you think it'd be a crazy sight to see though? Even from a vantage point standing on the earth. Looking up at a plane flying stationary in relation to the sun/star. The plane would be in the sky from sun up to sun down (if it could keep the speed of 1000mph for that whole time)

• Sad
Likes PeroK
Vic43 said:
Even from a vantage point standing on the earth. Looking up at a plane flying stationary in relation to the sun/star. The plane would be in the sky from sun up to sun down (if it could keep the speed of 1000mph for that whole time
It wouldn't though. It would cross from horizon to horizon in 10-20 minutes perhaps, faster than would a normal airliner that doesn't fly at mach 1.4. If it crossed in front of the sun, it would be there only for a few moments.

Remember, from a vantage point standing on the earth, the observer is moving at 1000 mph relative to that aircraft.

I've been on such a plane, flying pretty much in pace with the sun, so it stayed more or less 'noon' the whole time. I just wasn't on the equator at the time, but more like over Greenland.

Likes berkeman
Vic43 said:
Don't you think it'd be a crazy sight to see though? Even from a vantage point standing on the earth. Looking up at a plane flying stationary in relation to the sun/star. The plane would be in the sky from sun up to sun down (if it could keep the speed of 1000mph for that whole time)
As @Halc says, the plane would not appear stationary to you, it would zoom by at high speed and a few seconds later you would hear a sonic boom (if you are at low lattitude where the speed is supersonic).

Reminds me of a fun story from when I was a little kid living in Pasadena in Southern California. We were in a crowd waiting for the Rose Parade to start, and I was looking up a light pole and noticed the high clouds above moving with respect to the top of the light pole. I said, "Hey dad, I can see the Earth turning under those clouds!" My dad smiled, and said, "No son, even though you don't feel any wind down here right now, there is wind up there where those clouds are, and it's just the wind pushing the clouds along above us."

Learn something new every day... :smile:

Vic43 said:
As others have pointed out, it would only be in your sky for a few minutes. Your portion of the sky,from east horizon to west horizon is only a few hundred km. The plane will cross that in minutes.

You will not see the plane stationary in relation to the sun.

Vic43 said:
Don't you think it'd be a crazy sight to see though? Even from a vantage point standing on the earth. Looking up at a plane flying stationary in relation to the sun/star.
It wouldn't. You need to draw a diagram. The plane would not be stationary relative to the Sun to a ground observer.
Vic43 said:
The plane would be in the sky from sun up to sun down (if it could keep the speed of 1000mph for that whole time)
You're not going to see the plane for all that time. It would have travelled half way round the Earth in that time. You can only see the Sun for 12 hours because it's so far away.

True my bad , I stand corrected on that one

Likes berkeman and PeroK