Counting Cosets in Abstract Algebra | Pinter's Self Study

In summary, the conversation is about the number of cosets in a group, where a coset contains all products of the form "ah" where a belongs to G and h belongs to H, a subgroup of G. The question is whether two different elements of G necessarily construct two different cosets. The answer is no, as the coset of an element in H is the subgroup itself, and multiplying an element of a subgroup by another element in the subgroup results in an element of the subgroup. This explanation helps clarify the misunderstanding about the number of elements in G and the number of cosets.
sdembi
Hi,
I am doing self study of Abstract Algebra from Pinter.
My doubt is regarding Chap 13 Counting Cosets:
A coset contains all products of the form "ah" where a belongs to G and h belongs to H where H is a subgroup of G. So each coset should contain the number of elements in H. Now the number of cosets should be the number of elements in G since each element of G is used to construct a coset. So the number of elements in all cosets should be number of elements in G*Number of elements in H - But the family of cosets is a partition of G and should have the same number of elements of G... there is definitely something wrong in the second-third line of this argument... but I am not able to pin it down

Physics news on Phys.org
sdembi said:
Hi,
Now the number of cosets should be the number of elements in G since each element of G is used to construct a coset.

Do two different elements of G necessarily construct two different cosets ?

For example, suppose the two elements of [itex] G [/itex] are [itex] h1, h2 [/itex] and that [itex] h_1 \in H [/itex] and [itex] h_2 \in H [/itex].

Thanks - The coset of h1 would be the set of elements h1*h and that of h2 would be h2*h for all h belonging to H - Not sure why they should not be different.
I am not able to understand why the number of cosets should not be equal to the number of elements in the set G. Am sure I'm missing something very basic.

If [itex] h \in H [/itex] then the coset [itex] hH = H [/itex]. If you multiply an element of a subgroup by another element in the subgroup then the product is in the subgroup.

Likes sdembi
Understood - Thanks a ton...

1. What is a coset in abstract algebra?

A coset in abstract algebra is a set of elements obtained by multiplying a fixed element by every element in a subgroup of a group.

2. How do you count cosets in abstract algebra?

To count cosets in abstract algebra, you first need to determine the size of the subgroup and the size of the original group. Then, the number of cosets is equal to the size of the original group divided by the size of the subgroup.

3. What is the significance of counting cosets in abstract algebra?

Counting cosets allows us to understand the structure of a group and its subgroups. It also helps us to identify important properties of the group, such as the order and index.

4. Can cosets have different sizes in abstract algebra?

Yes, cosets can have different sizes in abstract algebra. In fact, the size of a coset is always equal to the size of the subgroup.

5. Are there any applications of counting cosets in abstract algebra?

Yes, counting cosets has various applications in mathematics, computer science, and physics. For example, it is used in coding theory, cryptography, and particle physics.