Abstract Algebra: Solving with Cosets

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a subgroup H of a group G and the permutation fg on the set of left cosets of H in G. Part (1) of the question asks to find the set of elements in G that map to the same coset aH under fg, while part (2) asks to find the set of elements in G that map to the identity permutation on G/H. The attempt at a solution involves finding the set {g in G : g = aha-1 for some h in H} for part (1) and exploring the use of normality for part (2).
ZZ Specs

Homework Statement

Suppose H is a subgroup of G. For g in G, define fg : G/H > G/H by fg (aH) = gaH for a in G, where G/H is the set of left cosets of H in G.

I know that fg is a well-defined permutation. However, we have not established (yet) that G/H is a group.

2 parts to the question:

1) for a given aH in G/H, find the set {g in G : fg(aH) = aH }

2) find the set {g in G : fg = the identity permutation in G/H}

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part (1), finding the solution set {g in G : g = aha-1 for some h in H}.

However, I struggle with part (2), as we have no information on a or H so I'm not sure what counts as a solution. I feel that normality may be involved but I cannot find out how to use it.

I know we want g such that fg(aH) = gaH = aH for all cosets aH ; this is the identity permutation. By equality of cosets, we can say that a-1ga = h for some a in G and h in H, or that g = aha-1 for some a in H and g in G, but I'm not sure if this consitutes a solution.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZZ Specs said:

Homework Statement

Suppose H is a subgroup of G. For g in G, define fg : G/H > G/H by fg (aH) = gaH for a in G, where G/H is the set of left cosets of H in G.

I know that fg is a well-defined permutation. However, we have not established (yet) that G/H is a group.

2 parts to the question:

1) for a given aH in G/H, find the set {g in G : fg(aH) = aH }

2) find the set {g in G : fg = the identity permutation in G/H}

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part (1), finding the solution set {g in G : g = aha-1 for some h in H}.

However, I struggle with part (2), as we have no information on a or H so I'm not sure what counts as a solution. I feel that normality may be involved but I cannot find out how to use it.

I know we want g such that fg(aH) = gaH = aH for all cosets aH ; this is the identity permutation. By equality of cosets, we can say that a-1ga = h for some a in G and h in H, or that g = aha-1 for some a in H and g in G, but I'm not sure if this consitutes a solution.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

The only difference between 1) and 2) is that for 1) it has to be true for single value of a. For 2) it has to be true for all values of a in G.

Last edited:

1. What is abstract algebra and how is it different from regular algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of mathematical structures and operations. It is different from regular algebra in that it focuses on the general properties and structures of mathematical objects, rather than specific numbers or equations.

2. What are cosets in abstract algebra?

Cosets are sets of elements that are defined based on a specific subgroup of a larger group. They are formed by taking one element from the subgroup and multiplying it by every element in the larger group. Cosets are useful in solving equations and understanding the structure of groups.

3. How do you solve equations using cosets?

To solve equations using cosets, you first need to identify the subgroup and the larger group. Then, you can form cosets by multiplying an element from the subgroup by every element in the larger group. The solution to the equation will be the common elements in all of the cosets.

4. Can cosets be used in real-world applications?

Yes, cosets have applications in various fields such as computer science, cryptography, and physics. They can be used to understand the structure of symmetrical patterns, code breaking, and particle interactions, among other things.

5. Are there any limitations to solving with cosets?

While cosets can be a useful tool in solving equations in abstract algebra, they may not always be applicable or efficient. Some equations may not have a solution using cosets, and in some cases, other methods may be more effective. It is important to understand the limitations and uses of cosets in order to use them effectively.