Coupled inductor boost converter - Ripple current

In summary: Interesting! I've never seen that topology before, but I work with Buck converters a lot more than Boost converters. Can you say more about it?
juniorbvetran
I am trying to calculate the ripple current in boost converter for ∆i1 and ∆i2 between time intervals between DT and T, and also dependent on the voltage level (Vin or Vin-Vout). To find a formula for ∆i1 and ∆i2, two formulas have to be derived for them. This is done from the equation:
upload_2018-1-5_13-47-0.png

I derived equations for ∆i1 and ∆i2 as shown below, however I don't think this is right and I was wondering has anybody done this before that can provide some assistance, thanks!
upload_2018-1-5_13-48-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-5_13-41-20.png
    upload_2018-1-5_13-41-20.png
    83 KB · Views: 697
  • upload_2018-1-5_13-47-0.png
    upload_2018-1-5_13-47-0.png
    5 KB · Views: 1,123
  • upload_2018-1-5_13-48-14.png
    upload_2018-1-5_13-48-14.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,264
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tommy Drudy said:
I am trying to calculate the ripple current in boost converter for ∆i1 and ∆i2 between time intervals between DT and T, and also dependent on the voltage level (Vin or Vin-Vout). To find a formula for ∆i1 and ∆i2, two formulas have to be derived for them. This is done from the equation: View attachment 217893
I derived equations for ∆i1 and ∆i2 as shown below, however I don't think this is right and I was wondering has anybody done this before that can provide some assistance, thanks!
View attachment 217894
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post your schematic and time-domain waveforms with all of the times and such listed? Thanks, we should be able to help you on this.

BTW, is this for schoolwork?

Below is a screenshot of VL1 and VL2, it shows the voltage and ripple current when the switch is either on or off due to interleaving. The only unknown variables from the formula mentioned in my previous post is ∆i1 and ∆i2, which is replicated by the red line in this photo. That is why I am trying to derive an expression for the two ripple currents, in order to find their value at each point, ie DT, T/2, DT+T/2, and T.
upload_2018-1-5_17-21-55.png

This question is for a boost converter that I am trying to design as part of an assignment.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-5_17-9-3.png
    upload_2018-1-5_17-9-3.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 662
  • upload_2018-1-5_17-9-43.png
    upload_2018-1-5_17-9-43.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 699
  • upload_2018-1-5_17-21-55.png
    upload_2018-1-5_17-21-55.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,072
juniorbvetran said:
Below is a screenshot of VL1 and VL2, it shows the voltage and ripple current when the switch is either on or off due to interleaving. The only unknown variables from the formula mentioned in my previous post is ∆i1 and ∆i2, which is replicated by the red line in this photo. That is why I am trying to derive an expression for the two ripple currents, in order to find their value at each point, ie DT, T/2, DT+T/2, and T.
View attachment 217902
This question is for a boost converter that I am trying to design as part of an assignment.
You didn't attach the schematic yet. Is this a flyback topology Boost converter?

berkeman said:
You didn't attach the schematic yet. Is this a flyback topology Boost converter?
Apologies, the topology is below, no its not a flyback.
upload_2018-1-5_17-32-10-png.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-5_17-32-10-png.png
    upload_2018-1-5_17-32-10-png.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 663
Interesting! I hadn't seen that topology before, but I work with Buck converters a lot more than Boost converters. Can you say more about it? Where did you find it? I can see the motivation for using 2 inductors, but why use coupled inductors? Thanks.

berkeman said:
I did a little Google searching on your thread title, but this topology is different than what you have posted so far...

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/AN-5081.pdf.pdf
Ya I am not to sure, i just know the equations are used to derive the ripple current. I've had a good look around for a final derivation of the ripple current formula but there doesn't seem to be anything online.

I'm not intuitively seeing how the coupled inductor part would help the ripple current. Have you seen anything about the coupled inductor part of it?

If not, I'm sure others can chime in who have seen this topology before. Or worst case I can run a simulation on it this weekend at work (in all of my spare time... Ack). :smile:

berkeman said:
I did a little Google searching on your thread title, but this topology is different than what you have posted so far...

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/AN-5081.pdf.pdf
It looks like that (different) boost topology with coupled inductors is to get a higher boost ratio:
Conventional step up dc-dc converters or boost converters
are not suitable for high voltage conversion ratio since the
effective series resistor (ESR) of the boost inductor
prohibits the output voltage from increasing more than 10
times of the input voltage.In this article, a high step-up dc-dc converter
with tapped inductor or coupled inductor is introduced and its
operational principle and design procedure will be described
as well.

Where did you get your circuit from?

Last edited:

1. What is a coupled inductor boost converter?

A coupled inductor boost converter is an electronic circuit that uses an inductor to increase the voltage of a power supply. The inductor is connected to a switch that alternately opens and closes, causing current to flow through the inductor and creating a magnetic field. When the switch is opened, the magnetic field collapses, inducing a higher voltage in the circuit.

2. How does a coupled inductor boost converter work?

A coupled inductor boost converter works by using the inductor to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. When the switch is closed, current flows through the inductor and the magnetic field increases. When the switch is opened, the magnetic field collapses, inducing a higher voltage in the circuit. This higher voltage is then used to power a load or charge a battery.

3. What is ripple current in a coupled inductor boost converter?

Ripple current in a coupled inductor boost converter is the fluctuation of current that occurs due to the switching of the inductor. As the switch opens and closes, the current through the inductor also changes, causing a ripple effect. This ripple current can cause unwanted noise and stress on the components of the converter.

4. How can ripple current be reduced in a coupled inductor boost converter?

Ripple current can be reduced in a coupled inductor boost converter by using a larger inductor with a higher inductance value. This will help to smooth out the current fluctuations and reduce the ripple effect. Additionally, using a higher switching frequency can also help to reduce ripple current.

5. What are the benefits of a coupled inductor boost converter?

A coupled inductor boost converter has several benefits, including higher efficiency, smaller size, and lower cost compared to other types of boost converters. It also has the ability to handle a wider input voltage range and provides a higher output voltage with a lower input current, making it ideal for many applications.