Coupling two modules in comsol

In summary, the conversation revolves around coupling two different modules of COMSOL. The individual is trying to use u, the solution of Module 1, as a subdomain settings parameter in Module 2. They have successfully used u and 0.95*u, but when they add a vector, it does not work. They are seeking help and clarifying that the length of the vectors is the same. They are also asked for the version they are using and offer to provide more detailed explanation about their process.
jig saw
Hi,

I want to couple two different modules of COMSOL. For example u is the solution of Module 1 and I want to give 0.95*u+a as subdomain settings parameter in module 2. Here a is a vector. I have succeeded with u and 0.95*u to use as subdomain settings parameter of module 2 but when I add a , it does not work.

Can anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
u is also a vector, try adding them component by component.

Which version are you running? I'll try to offer better advice once I get to my desk (don't have COMSOL on my laptop).

NeoDevin said:
u is also a vector, try adding them component by component.

Which version are you running? I'll try to offer better advice once I get to my desk (don't have COMSOL on my laptop).

I am using COMSOL 3.4.
Let me explain in detail,
I have saved a vector a previously. Then from current solution of module 1 is u
In the subdomain settings of module 2 I have written
a+0.95*u
As the length of each vector is same, it should add them component by component. But it does not work.

1. How do I couple two modules in COMSOL?

To couple two modules in COMSOL, you first need to ensure that both modules are open in the same COMSOL session. Then, in the Model Builder, right-click on the "Couplings" node and select "Add". From there, you can select the two modules you want to couple and choose the type of coupling you want to apply.

2. What types of couplings are available in COMSOL?

There are several types of couplings available in COMSOL, including multiphysics couplings, geometric couplings, and parametric couplings. Multiphysics couplings allow for the transfer of physical quantities between modules, while geometric couplings enable the sharing of geometric entities. Parametric couplings allow for the transfer of parameters between modules.

3. Can I couple modules that have different mesh sizes?

Yes, you can couple modules that have different mesh sizes in COMSOL. However, this may lead to some challenges in terms of accuracy and computational efficiency. COMSOL offers techniques such as adaptive meshing and mesh refinement to help address these challenges.

4. How do I know if my coupled model is accurate?

To ensure the accuracy of a coupled model in COMSOL, it is important to perform a convergence study. This involves running the simulation with different mesh sizes and checking for convergence of the results. Additionally, you can compare your results with analytical or experimental data to verify the accuracy of the coupled model.

5. Can I change the coupling between modules after setting it up?

Yes, you can change the coupling between modules in COMSOL even after it has been set up. To do so, simply right-click on the coupling node in the Model Builder and select "Edit". This will allow you to modify the coupling type, parameters, and other settings as needed.