Covariance matrix for transformed variables

In summary, the covariance matrix for the transformed variables can be found by multiplying the original covariance matrix by the appropriate transformation.
This sounds like a common application, but I didn't find a discussion of it.

Simple case:
I have 30 experimental values, and I have the full covariance matrix for the measurements (they are correlated). I am now interested in the sum of the first 5 measured values, the sum of the following 5 measured values, and so on. In total I want 6 values and their covariance matrix. The diagonal entries of the covariance matrix are easy - just sum the corresponding 5x5 blocks along the diagonal of the original covariance matrix. Do I get the other entries also as sum of the corresponding 5x5 blocks? I would expect so but a confirmation would be nice.

General case:
More generally, if my transformed variables are a weighted sum of the original variables (weights are not negative), how do I get the off-diagonal elements of the covariance matrix? As long as two transformed variables do not share a common measured value, I can scale everything in the covariance matrix to get back to the previous case. But what if they do? I was playing around with rotation matrices (going to a basis of transformed variables plus some dummy variables) but somehow it didn't work, and constructing 30x30 rotation matrices is ugly.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read it, simply relied on the source. However, it looks helpful. (If I understood you correctly and the main problem here is the diagonalization).

May I ask you whether you try to create a risk minimal DAX portfolio made out of five paper subportfolios? If so, then there is vast literature on the issue. E.g. I've found a dissertation Risk proportion and Eigen-Risk-Portfolio.

Edit: And https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_component_analysis provides a lot of information and links, including software tools.

I know about principal component analysis but that is not what I want to do. I could diagonalize the covariance matrix that way, but then I still have to produce a new covariance matrix for the target variables, which is yet another transformation that is very similar to the original problem, and I don't know how stable the principal component analysis would be.

The application is in physics.

I had a look at another special case interesting to me. Let Xi be the measured variables and Yi be the transformed variables. The original covariance matrix is C, the new one is D.

Let Y1 = X1+X2 and Y2=X2. Then ##D_{11} = C_{11}+ C_{12}+ C_{21}+ C_{22}## and ##D_{22}=C_{22}## and ##D_{12}=D_{21}=C_{11}##.
I don't find a transformation that would produce this result.

Perhaps I don't understand the question, but if you have the full covariance matrix, can't you find everything you need from properties like ##COV(X_1+X_2,X_3) = COV(X_1,X_3) + COV(X_2,X_3)## and ##COV(\alpha X_1,X_3) = \alpha COV(X_1,X_3)## ?

Or are we asking for how the consequences of those properties are implemented with block matrix manipulations ?

You are right, that is sufficient to cover all those cases. Thanks.

A nice transformation could simplify the practical side, but computers are good at adding tons of stuff anyway.

What is a covariance matrix for transformed variables?

A covariance matrix for transformed variables is a mathematical representation of the relationships between different variables after they have been transformed or normalized. It shows how the variables vary together and provides insight into the underlying patterns of the data.

Why is a covariance matrix for transformed variables important?

A covariance matrix for transformed variables is important because it allows us to identify and understand the relationships between different variables in a dataset. This can help us make better decisions and predictions based on the data.

How is a covariance matrix for transformed variables calculated?

A covariance matrix for transformed variables is calculated by taking the product of the transpose of the data matrix and the original data matrix, then dividing by the number of observations. This process yields a square matrix where the diagonal elements represent the variance of each variable and the off-diagonal elements represent the covariance between variables.

What does a positive covariance mean in a covariance matrix for transformed variables?

A positive covariance in a covariance matrix for transformed variables indicates that the two variables are positively related, meaning that they tend to increase or decrease together. This suggests a strong relationship between the variables.

Can a covariance matrix for transformed variables be used to identify relationships between more than two variables?

Yes, a covariance matrix for transformed variables can be used to identify relationships between more than two variables. It can be extended to include multiple variables by adding additional rows and columns to the matrix, with each row and column representing a different variable. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the relationships between multiple variables in a dataset.