Covariant derivative in coordinate basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of ##\nabla_{\mu} A^{\mu}## at coordinate basis and the proof of the expression ##\nabla_{\mu} A^{\mu} = \frac{1}{\sqrt(|g|)}\partial_{\mu}(|g|^{1/2} A^{\mu})##. The person also mentions using the coordinate expression for the Christoffel symbols and wonders if it is the most general expression.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Captura de tela de 2022-05-15 06-19-28.png

I need to evaluate ##\nabla_{\mu} A^{\mu}## at coordinate basis. Indeed, i should prove that ##\nabla_{\mu} A^{\mu} = \frac{1}{\sqrt(|g|)}\partial_{\mu}(|g|^{1/2} A^{\mu})##.

So, $$\nabla_{\mu} A^{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} A^{\mu} + A^{\beta} \Gamma^{\mu}_{\beta \mu}$$

The first and third terms of Christoffel will cancel, so $$ = \partial_{\mu}A^{\mu} + A^{\beta} \frac{g^{\mu x}}{2}(\partial_{\beta}g_{x \mu})$$

Now, using the fact that ##\delta g = g g^{\mu v} \delta g_{\mu v}##, we can easily find that $$\frac{g^{\mu x}}{2}(\partial_{\beta}g_{x \mu}) = \frac{\partial_{\beta}(|g|^{1/2})}{|g|^{1/2}}$$

After substitute this at our main expression, we can recover ##\nabla_{\mu} A^{\mu} = \frac{1}{\sqrt(|g|)}\partial_{\mu}(|g|^{1/2} A^{\mu})##.

The problem is, i have no idea what assumption i have made so that my result applies only to coordinate basis! That is, the problem ask for prove it at coordinate basis , so i guess it should be true only at these type of basis. But i haven't assumed nothing, just manipulate the terms and got the result. What am i missing? Is this expression really general like i have found?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have used the coordinate expression for the Christoffel symbols.

Likes LCSphysicist
Orodruin said:
You have used the coordinate expression for the Christoffel symbols.
I know there are another expressions for Christoffel symbol, like:
$$\Gamma^{i}_{jk} = - \partial e^{i}/\partial x^{j} e_{k}$$
But i didn't know that this expression i have used is not the most general. What is the most general expression for it so? (namely, the one that makes no reference to any frame)

What is a covariant derivative in coordinate basis?

A covariant derivative in coordinate basis is a mathematical tool used in differential geometry to measure how a vector field changes along a given direction in a curved space. It takes into account the effects of the curvature of the space on the vector field.

How is a covariant derivative in coordinate basis different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to a variable, while a covariant derivative in coordinate basis measures the rate of change of a vector field with respect to a direction in a curved space. It takes into account the effects of the curvature of the space on the vector field, while a regular derivative does not.

What is the formula for calculating a covariant derivative in coordinate basis?

The formula for calculating a covariant derivative in coordinate basis is given by:

$${\nabla _{v}X}^{a} = {\partial _{v}X}^{a} + {\Gamma _{bc}}^{a} {v}^{b} {X}^{c}$$

where $X^{a}$ is the vector field, $v^{b}$ is the direction, and ${\Gamma _{bc}}^{a}$ are the Christoffel symbols of the second kind, which represent the curvature of the space.

What is the significance of the covariant derivative in coordinate basis in physics?

The covariant derivative in coordinate basis is an important tool in general relativity, which is the theory of gravity. It is used to describe the curvature of spacetime and how it affects the motion of particles and objects. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and fluid dynamics, to study the behavior of fields and particles in curved spaces.

How is the covariant derivative in coordinate basis related to the concept of parallel transport?

The covariant derivative in coordinate basis is closely related to the concept of parallel transport, which is the idea of moving a vector along a curve without changing its direction. The covariant derivative can be thought of as a way to measure the failure of parallel transport in a curved space. In flat space, the covariant derivative reduces to the regular derivative and parallel transport is always possible. In curved space, the covariant derivative takes into account the curvature of the space and the failure of parallel transport, providing a more accurate measure of how a vector changes along a given direction.