Covariant versus Contravariant

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between covariant and contravariant vectors. Contravariant vectors are often referred to as just vectors, while covariant vectors are known as one forms. These two concepts are dual to each other and are defined by their transformation properties under coordinate transformations. More recently, vectors are equated with equivalence classes of curves or differential operators, while one forms are seen as functions of vectors into real numbers.
codeman_nz
Hi everyone,

I am having a little trouble with the difference between a covariant vector and contravariant vector. The examples that I come across say that an example of a contravariant vector is velocity and that a contravariant must contra-vary with a change of basis to compensate.

So if you have a velocity that is measured in m/s and you want to measure it in km/s then the velocity shrinks. Is that because you increased the co-ordinate system to km and so that velocity must shrink to compensate for that increase? Or am I thinking of it the wrong way?

Physics news on Phys.org
More modern terminology has contravariant vectors simply being called vectors and covariant vectors being called one forms. Covariant vectors (one forms) are best thought of, in my opinion, as simply functions of contravariant (vectors) vectors into real numbers. In other words, one forms are functions, e.g. f(), which accept a vector argument and returns a number: f(v)=real number.

The two are dual to each other, and are defined in the classical literature by the transformation properties of their components under coordinate transformations. More recently, one tends to work more conceptually and equate vectors with either an equivalence classes of curves (1-1 mappings from R into the manifold) or with differential operators because there is a 1-1 isomorphism between these concepts. One forms are then simply defined and thought of as above, i.e., functions of vectors into real numbers.

What is the difference between covariant and contravariant?

Covariant and contravariant are two different types of transformations that are used in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They describe the way in which an object or variable changes with respect to a change in coordinates.

What is a covariant transformation?

A covariant transformation is one in which the coordinates of an object or variable change in the same direction as the change in coordinates. In other words, if the coordinate axes are rotated or transformed, the coordinates of the object or variable will also be rotated or transformed in the same way.

What is a contravariant transformation?

A contravariant transformation is one in which the coordinates of an object or variable change in the opposite direction as the change in coordinates. In other words, if the coordinate axes are rotated or transformed, the coordinates of the object or variable will be rotated or transformed in the opposite way.

How are covariant and contravariant related?

Covariant and contravariant are two different types of transformations that are inversely related to each other. This means that if a transformation is covariant, its inverse is contravariant, and vice versa.

What are some examples of covariant and contravariant transformations?

An example of a covariant transformation is the change in position of an object in a rotating reference frame. An example of a contravariant transformation is the change in momentum of an object in a rotating reference frame.