GR: Can Units Tell You if Quantity is Covariant or Contravariant?

• I
  • Thread starter Twigg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Units
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of covariant and contravariant quantities in General Relativity and how to determine which is which. The speaker is seeking clarification on whether the units of a quantity can be used as a mnemonic for determining its covariant or contravariant nature. They also ask for counter-examples and mention that the 4-wavevector is a contravariant quantity despite having units of radians per meter.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Note: My GR is very cursory and rusty. The probability that I say something bogus in stating my question is very high. Thanks for your help in advance!

I have a dumb question. I'm only casually familiar with GR, and I have a hard time telling if quantities should be covariant or contravariant. Can I tell just by looking at the units? For example, I remember 4-velocity and 4-momentum are contravariant and both have units that include meters in the numerator (in the convention where (##x^0 = ct##). I remember that the 4-gradient ##\partial_{\mu}## is a covariant quantity and its units have meters in the denominator. Can I get away with using this trend as a mnemonic or will I get into trouble? If no, can you give counter-examples?

I know covariant vectors can be transformed into contravariant vectors via the metric, but when I'm doing a problem I need to know whether I should write ##X_{\mu} = (A,B,C,D)## or ##X_{\mu} = (-A,B,C,D)## given that I know the values of the components A,B,C,D. For instance, I know that I can write 4-momentum as a covariant vector ##P_{\mu} = \eta_{\mu \nu} P^{\nu}##, however when I'm doing a problem I have to know that P is naturally contravariant (in other words, ##P^{\mu} = (E/c, p_x, p_y, p_z)## and ##P_{\mu} = (-E/c, p_x, p_y, p_z)##, and not the other way around). Just to make sure, I'm not misunderstanding this, right?

Thanks for bearing with me, all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Twigg said:
If no, can you give counter-examples?
Four velocity has dimensions of speed, and the metric is usually dimensionless. ##g_{ab}U^aU^b=U_bU^b## has dimensions of speed squared, so ##U_b## must have the same dimensions as ##U^a##.

I'm not sure of a good mnemonic for what's co/contra variant, but perhaps others can suggest something.

Likes Twigg
Oh yep, that's valid. I done goofed o:)

Just saw another one: the 4-wavevector is contravariant though it has units of radians per meter.

1. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant quantities in GR?

Covariant and contravariant quantities refer to how a physical quantity transforms under a change of coordinates. In general relativity, covariant quantities transform in the same way as the coordinates themselves, while contravariant quantities transform in the opposite way. This is due to the curved nature of spacetime in GR.

2. How do units play a role in determining if a quantity is covariant or contravariant?

Units are essential in determining whether a quantity is covariant or contravariant. A covariant quantity has the same units in all coordinate systems, while a contravariant quantity has different units in different coordinate systems. This is because the transformation of units is different for covariant and contravariant quantities.

3. Can a quantity be both covariant and contravariant?

No, a quantity can only be either covariant or contravariant. This is because the transformation of a quantity must be consistent with the transformation of the coordinates in order to maintain the laws of physics.

4. How do I know if a quantity is covariant or contravariant?

The best way to determine if a quantity is covariant or contravariant is to look at its transformation law under a change of coordinates. If the quantity transforms in the same way as the coordinates, it is covariant. If it transforms in the opposite way, it is contravariant.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between covariant and contravariant quantities in GR?

Understanding the difference between covariant and contravariant quantities is crucial in general relativity, as it allows us to correctly describe the laws of physics in curved spacetime. It also helps us to properly define and calculate physical quantities in different coordinate systems, which is essential in many applications of GR, such as cosmology and black hole physics.