Cows All the Way Down: A Smile-Inducing Contradiction

In summary, the conversation discusses a humorous post titled "COWS All the Way Down" that was submitted on March 30 but was intended for April 1st. The speaker admits to being fooled by the date and also mentions the correct term for the post as "cowy".
sbrothy
Gold Member
This one brought a smile to my face:

COWS All the Way Down.

I'm not sure whether this is astrology, climatology or down right nonsense, but I hope it gives you a smiley pause too.

Likes hutchphd and gmax137
Physics news on Phys.org
Submitted on March 30, just to appear on April 1st?

Likes sbrothy and BillTre
Borek said:
Submitted on March 30, just to appear on April 1st?
Yeah. It was obviously a joke but I must have been blind to not notice that date. Perhaps, avoiding writing April 1st is a way to trick gullible fools like me. Likely I'm just a scatterbrain who doesn't pay close enough attention.

Likes pinball1970
Also, the proper term is "cowy". For someone who likes to play Scrabble a little too much it's really embarrassing to misspell such a common word. :)

What is "Cows All the Way Down: A Smile-Inducing Contradiction"?

"Cows All the Way Down: A Smile-Inducing Contradiction" is a phrase often used in jest to describe the concept of infinite regression or an endless loop of cause and effect. It is a humorous take on the philosophical concept of the "turtles all the way down" theory, which suggests that the universe is supported by an infinite stack of turtles.

What is the origin of the phrase "Cows All the Way Down"?

The phrase "Cows All the Way Down" is a play on the phrase "turtles all the way down", which is attributed to philosopher Bertrand Russell. The exact origin of the phrase is unknown, but it is believed to have originated in the early 20th century and has been used in various forms in literature and popular culture.

Is "Cows All the Way Down" a real scientific concept?

No, "Cows All the Way Down" is not a real scientific concept. It is a humorous phrase that is often used to describe the idea of infinite regression or an endless loop of cause and effect. While the concept of infinite regression has been discussed in philosophy and mathematics, it is not a scientifically proven concept.

How is "Cows All the Way Down" related to the concept of infinite regression?

The phrase "Cows All the Way Down" is a humorous way of describing the concept of infinite regression, which is the idea that there is no ultimate cause or beginning. In this concept, each cause or explanation is itself caused by something else, creating an endless loop. The phrase is often used to illustrate the absurdity of trying to find a definitive answer or explanation for everything.

Why is "Cows All the Way Down" considered a contradiction?

"Cows All the Way Down" is considered a contradiction because it presents a humorous and nonsensical image of an endless stack of cows, while also referencing the philosophical concept of infinite regression, which is a serious and complex idea. The contradiction lies in the fact that the phrase is both humorous and thought-provoking at the same time.