CPU Register Components: Buses and 1 Byte

• Thread starter nabil__
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary: There is no specific book, but you might want to try "Computer Architecture, A Quantitative Approach, Second Edition" by David Patterson.
nabil__
In a CPU there are eight wires (buses) connected to the register components.
which means the data can travel 8 bits as a time ? if the register is 32 bit and the value i want to store in a specific register the data must be travel 4 times in a row and store the binary value to a register?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the wires really represents one bit, then yes.
However, I've never heard of such weird CPU architecture where 32 bit registers had only 8 bit internal buses. Could you please give more details?

Alternative is, that actually it's a 64 bit CPU where the 'wires' would represent a byte. Then to transfer 32 bit would require just one cycle of 'half-bus'.

OK it's just a simple 8 bit CPU. Kind of like part of the good old 6502 (with some differences).
There is no 32 bit register: those are four independent 8 bit registers. Let's name them R0 to R3. There is one more 'accumulator' register providing one input for the 8 bit ALU, and also there is one 'result' register for the output of the ALU.

The ALU requires two input byte. One is provided by the accumulator, which you have to load with the data you want to use: one is provided by the register block.
All the addressing and such is missing.

What's now happening on the picture is that according to the 'instruction' the control unit sets the ALU to do something between the content of the accumulator and R0.
The result available from the 'result' register.

Rive said:
All the addressing and such is missing.
You mean "Instruction Address Register" & "Memory Address Register" ?
Apart from those what else is missing ? Can i follow this diagram to learn ?

Last edited:
Can't tell: compared to a 6502-like architecture there is only a few things missing (also, there are a few extra): compared to a 8085 or Z80, many things are missing or connected the wrong way.
It would be good to know if there was a specific CPU family for the diagram or it's just a sketch.

For 6502 reference you can check here. Apart from the explanation and some sequences there is also a data path there.

Rive said:
I want to learn more briefly. Is thee any book you can suggest me which might be good fit for me.

1. What is a CPU register?

A CPU register is a small amount of memory within the central processing unit (CPU) that is used to quickly store and access data and instructions during processing.

2. What are the components of a CPU register?

The components of a CPU register include a set of flip-flops that store data, a decoder that selects a specific register, and a multiplexer that chooses between reading and writing data.

3. What is a bus in relation to CPU registers?

A bus is a communication pathway that connects the CPU register to other parts of the computer, such as the memory and input/output devices, allowing for the transfer of data and instructions.

4. How many bits are in a 1-byte CPU register?

A 1-byte CPU register contains 8 bits, which is the standard size for most modern computer architectures.

5. What is the purpose of a 1-byte CPU register?

A 1-byte CPU register is used to store small amounts of data and instructions that are frequently accessed by the CPU, allowing for faster processing speeds compared to retrieving data from external memory sources.