Crafting Carbon-Based Life Form for Space

In summary, a carbon based life form that can live in the cold vacuum of space would be difficult to create and would not be considered a living organism.
hsdrop
Would it be possible to craft a carbon based life form throw dna manipulation and selective breeding that could live in the cold vacuum of space??
Also if I posted the thread in the wrong place I'm sorry I didn't know where else to place it.
Once again thank you to anyone that will tack the time to reply to my post.

Biology news on Phys.org
About the best you could do is to create one that can merely survive a trip through space, most likely through a suspension of most bodily and cellular functions. Call it hibernation if you'd like. Living in space implies metabolic activity and such. But the problem is that there is neither food nor air in space, so the creature would have nothing to live off of. Even photosynthetic organisms need air and other resources to live.

Likes rootone, hsdrop and BillTre
Here's a nice review article from a scientific journal on the subject:
Moissl-Eichinger et al. 2016 Venturing into new realms? Microorganisms in space. FEMS Microbiol Rev 40: 722. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/femsre/fuw015
An important concept in space microbiology or astrobiology is ‘habitability’, which is essentially an assessment of whether an environment can support the activity of a given organism, where activity might be maintenance, growth or reproduction. Due to the fact that we have only one example of a life-bearing planet so far, these considerations are restricted to life as we know it, even, if in some theoretical studies a broader approach has been considered (Baross 2006). For an environment in any location on Earth or elsewhere to be habitable, it must have several characteristics. They are:
  • availability of water, at least temporarily in a liquid state,
  • appropriate temperature conditions,
  • availability of an energy source,
  • carbon plus major other elements required by all known life forms (HNOPS) and
  • other elements required by a specific organism as trace elements.
https://academic.oup.com/femsre/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/femsre/fuw015

The article explores the limits of these conditions in known terrestrial organisms both under natural and experimental conditions.

You may also be interested in reading through a previous PF thread on the topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...le-to-earth-bacteria-thriving-on-mars.906191/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes hsdrop, BillTre, jim mcnamara and 1 other person
Yep, there is no significant amount of carbon in interstellar space, so no organic chemistry can happen.

Thank you for the article. I truly do appreciate the passing of info like we do on the forum hear.
rootone said:
Yep, there is no significant amount of carbon in interstellar space, so no organic chemistry can happen.
Does all organic chemistry have to be carbon bass?
I was under the notion that silicon based life might be possible out there some wair or even something that we just have not found yet.
sorry I'm not meaning to put your comet down at all. I'm just one of the individuals that believes that you have to keep an open mind if you are to discover anything new.

hsdrop said:
Does all organic chemistry have to be carbon bass?
I was under the notion that silicon based life might be possible out there some wair or even something that we just have not found yet.

The term "organic" has a specific meaning in biology and chemistry, where it means molecules containing carbon. All known examples of life are carbon-based, but it is not known whether life can be based on something other than carbon. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_compound

hsdrop said:
sorry I'm not meaning to put your comet down at all. I'm just one of the individuals that believes that you have to keep an open mind if you are to discover anything new.

Open-mindedness has nothing to do with this. It's simply just another example of how terminology differs between laymen and scientists. And also between forum members. :wink:

Likes hsdrop
hsdrop said:
I was under the notion that silicon based life might be possible
Silicon does have some similar chemistry to carbon but there are no known silicon analogs to anything like DNA.
One very big difference though is that whereas carbon oxides are gases and are soluable in water Silicon oxides are solids (at Earth like temperature) and not soluable,
This means that any silicon based biochemistry would have to evolve not in water, but in something like volcanic lava.

Likes hsdrop
It could be possible in the future to send a carbon based nanoelectromechanical human-like robot into space that uses mechanical parts that mimic genetic/cellular processes. Both technologies are under study. It would not be considered a life form, as it would be chemically inert. Powering and maintaining it would be much easier to do than for a human in space. Why would we need to do that though?

Likes hsdrop

1. How will a carbon-based life form survive in space?

Carbon-based life forms are well-suited for surviving in space due to their ability to adapt to extreme environments. They can withstand high levels of radiation, extreme temperatures, and low gravity. Additionally, their cells are able to repair any damage caused by these conditions.

2. What is the process of creating a carbon-based life form for space?

The process of creating a carbon-based life form for space involves selecting the appropriate genetic material, manipulating it to create desired traits, and then testing and refining the organism. This process may also involve incorporating specific adaptations, such as increased resistance to radiation or lower oxygen requirements, to better suit the needs of space travel.

3. Can a carbon-based life form be genetically modified for space exploration?

Yes, carbon-based life forms can be genetically modified for space exploration. This may involve altering their DNA to increase their resilience to harsh space conditions, or to give them specific abilities that would be useful in space, such as the ability to produce their own oxygen.

4. What are the potential benefits of using carbon-based life forms for space exploration?

Carbon-based life forms have many potential benefits for space exploration. They are versatile and can adapt to different environments, making them suitable for long-term space missions. They also have the ability to reproduce, which could be useful for establishing sustainable colonies on other planets. Additionally, their organic nature makes them more compatible with potential extraterrestrial life forms.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the creation of carbon-based life forms for space exploration?

There may be ethical concerns surrounding the creation of carbon-based life forms for space exploration, as with any form of genetic modification. It is important to consider the potential impact on the organisms themselves, as well as the potential consequences for other life forms in space. Proper ethical guidelines and regulations should be followed to ensure the responsible and ethical use of these organisms in space exploration.