Crazy things Creationists have said

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation between two coworkers was about a Young Earth Creationist/Intelligent Design believer relating a recent conversation he had with a 'non-believer.' The believer claims that there is no such thing as evolution, that dinosaurs were made out of bones, that the Earth is only 7,000 years old, and that the universe is only 12,000 ly wide. The non-believer pointed out that there are people who believe in these things irrationally, and the believer said that it's those who take things to the extreme who are the problem.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I was just listening to the conversation between two co-workers. The one speaking is a Young Earth Creationist/Intelligent Design believer. He was relating a conversation he had with a "non-believer" the other day.

The bits I picked up were

"sure animals adapt to their environment, but there's no such thing as evolution. We're supposed to believe that we evolved from apes? What, some apes said "let's turn into humans, while the other apes decided to pass?"

When asked about dinosaurs "you can make anything you want out of a bunch of bones, there weren't any dinosaurs". "Now there were things called dragons, but they lived at the same time men did".

Then he was explaining why the Earth and humans aren't perfect. "God designed everything perfect, it's sin that has caused things to become imperfect".

Unfortunately I missed what he said about the big bang.

He did say that the Earth was at most 7,000 years old. :bugeye: :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
This guy deserves a medal. :rofl:

Evo said:
"sure animals adapt to their environment, but there's no such thing as evolution. We're supposed to believe that we evolved from apes? What, some apes said "let's turn into humans, while the other apes decided to pass?"

I think this is more or less the same argument put forward by people who did not believe in evolution during Darwin's time, which led to that infamous cartoon of Darwin atop a tree.

When asked about dinosaurs "you can make anything you want out of a bunch of bones, there weren't any dinosaurs". "Now there were things called dragons, but they lived at the same time men did".

Oh, yes. Dragons are real...even Discovery Channel made a show about them. :tongue2:

He did say that the Earth was at most 7,000 years old. :bugeye: :eek:
Right, and the universe is just over 12,000 ly wide.
(http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/08/14/its-a-small-universe-after-all/)

cyrusabdollahi said:
Sadly, people are that stupid when the follow religion.

Not quite. There are 'sane' people who are religious. It's those who take things to the extreme that are stupid. They neither know about their so-called religion nor do they know the facts [or just want to ignore it].

Last edited:
I have a friend who says the same kind of garbage Evo posted, and he's an engineering student!

I have another friend that does not believe in evolution and he's a biology major.

There are 'sane' people who are religious.

I have not met a single 'sane' religious person.

I'm floored that this hasn't been locked. What am I missing?

Locked for what? If people think the world is 7,000 years old there crackpots. Let's not dance around the obvious.

Why should a thread concerning rank idiocy be closed?

cyrusabdollahi said:
I have not met a single 'sane' religious person.

What's the yardstick(?) for measuring sanity here? You?:tongue2:
I've seen religious people who believe in Evolution and Big bang as well:wink:

Generic discussions of Intelligent Design creationism and evolution are allowable. I will remove the negative religious remark, although it wasn't about a "specific" religion, which is what is not allowed.

The thread is about people refusing to understand basic science, this is something that affects all of us.

He's telling people that dinosaurs are fakes.

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
What's the yardstick(?) for measuring sanity here? You?:tongue2:
I've seen religious people who believe in Evolution and Big bang as well:wink:

Go make me some gourma sabzi you crackpot!

neutrino said:
Not quite. There are 'sane' people who are religious. It's those who take things to the extreme that are stupid. They neither know about their so-called religion nor do they know the facts [or just want to ignore it].

Some people like to call it extreme, I like to call it fundamentalism.

It sounds like that coworker of Evo needs a better science education or to maybe look up the word "speciation."

cyrusabdollahi said:

Just note that I'm not defending them! Anyway as Evo mentioned she's going to remove negative religious remark:wink:

cyrusabdollahi said:
That's my wife you're calling a crackpot. If she happens to make any gourma sabzi, it's not going into the end of you you think.

Evo said:
Then he was explaining why the Earth and humans aren't perfect. "God designed everything perfect, it's sin that has caused things to become imperfect".
You might point out to this person that except for some unimportant details, this is pretty much a description of evolution.

Did you see the documentary "100 Reasons Why Evolution Is Stupid"? You should see it, you can find it on google and it is quite entertaining. The guy is correct on some points that in some ways science is a religion as well, but it is hilarious how he is so convince that evolution is 'stupid' :rolleyes:

I've seen it! And while even my grasp of evolution is superior to his, I actually agree with his underlying premise, that being that our schools are teaching our children stupid ideas. The 'evolution' taught in schools is exactly what he describes, and it has all the flaws that he describes. Just one more problem with our education system...

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
Did you see the documentary "100 Reasons Why Evolution Is Stupid"? You should see it, you can find it on google and it is quite entertaining. The guy is correct on some points that in some ways science is a religion as well, but it is hilarious how he is so convince that evolution is 'stupid' :rolleyes:

Did a PF mentor just claim that science was a religion? :rolleyes:

Let us examine it, shall we?

To call science a religion should immediately be recognized as an ideological attack, rather than one based on facts. It is a rather ignorant claim in attempting to discredit scientific research and development.

Does science make supernatural claims? No.
Does science differentiate between sacred and profane objects, places and times? No.
Does science have ritual acts focused on sacred objects, places and times? No.
Does science have a moral code with supernatural origin? No.
Does science employ religious feelings? No.
Does science amount to a dogmatic world view? No.
Does science engage in communication with the supernatural (prayer, meditation and so on)? No.
Is science a social group bound together by the above areas? No.

etc.

Courtesy of Austin Cline.

Beeza said:
Did you guys know a banana is an atheist's nightmare? This one is realllllly good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zwbhAXe5yk&mode=related&search=

The Creationist Nightmare

http://www.disabledhands.com/paperclip.jpg

A paper clip is not complex at all. Yet we know that it has been designed. Why? Because of its artificiality. That is how you infer design.

</off topic rant>

Well, at a minimum, I'm now convinced there is no intelligent life among those who post comments on youtube videos.

- Warren

Of course if we included COMPUTER science:

Does science make supernatural claims? Yes - if I turn it off and on it will magically fix itself.
Does science differentiate between sacred and profane objects, places and times? Mac vs PC.
Does science have ritual acts focused on sacred objects, places and times? It's the only way it ever works.
Does science have a moral code with supernatural origin? Linux.
Does science employ religious feelings? Vi vs emacs.
Does science amount to a dogmatic world view? see above.
Does science engage in communication with the supernatural (prayer, meditation and so on)? Sometimes it feels like that with Exchange server.
Is science a social group bound together by the above areas? well that and Star Trek.

Beeza said:
Did you guys know a banana is an atheist's nightmare? This one is realllllly good. It looks like the guy next to him is actually laughing.
This is a wind-up right? Especially since the cultivated banana can't reporduce in the wild it has to be grafter by man.

Before dismissing your argument out-of-hand by showing the woeful logical inconsistencies in it, I'd like to point out that it may apply to individual computer scientists, not computer science. In any case, the logical inconsistencies speaks for itself.

Wait, was it a joke? :biggrin:

mgb_phys said:

Does science make supernatural claims? Yes - if I turn it off and on it will magically fix itself.
Does science differentiate between sacred and profane objects, places and times? Mac vs PC.
Does science have ritual acts focused on sacred objects, places and times? It's the only way it ever works.
Does science engage in communication with the supernatural (prayer, meditation and so on)? Sometimes it feels like that with Exchange server.
Is science a social group bound together by the above areas? well that and Star Trek.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Evo said:
He's telling people that dinosaurs are fakes.

They are! I've never met one who is sincere.

You all can throw out all logical objections since "God the trickster" takes care of all that.

Ivan Seeking said:

I don't think it's particularly enlightened of you to extrapolate the qualities of all dinosaurs from the small subset of them you've personally encountered.

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: :rofl:

What was so funny is that this loon was talking to people that would consider themselves very devoutly religious, including one girl that's a minister and after he left they were all in utter disbelief about this guy's views on science. What's even scarier is that his wife teaches science in a public middle school. But hey, this is Kansas, home of science deniers. :yuck:

Also I didn't mention that he ended his rant with repeating Intelligent Design is the truth - twice.

Last edited:
Since we are pointing out ridiculous scientific illiteracy, I'll post these examples, even though they don't really have anything to do with religion:

1. A girl in one of my classes didn't know the moon had any gravity. Another one was equally surprised Jupiter had gravity.

2. My friend's mother actually wondered why the people in Australia didn't fall off the Earth, since they were "upside down." ...Seriously, I'm not making this up!

EDIT: This next one just happened on MSNBC:

3. The guy who owns one of Elvis Presley's old houses in Britain, believes that Elvis's "energy" is absorbed into the house. He then proceeded to try to use E=mc^2 to justify this belief...I had heard the physics education in the UK was going downhill, but I had no idea it already fell this low...:rofl::rofl::cry:

Last edited:
G01 said:
Since we are pointing out ridiculous scientific illiteracy, I'll post these examples, even though they don't really have anything to do with religion:

1. A girl in one of my classes didn't know the moon had any gravity. Another one was equally surprised Jupiter had gravity.

2. My friend's mother actually wondered why the people in Astralia didn't fall off the Earth, since they were "upside down." ...Seriously, I'm not making this up!

EDIT: This next one just happened on MSNBC:

3. The guy who owns one of Elvis Presley's old houses in Britain, believes that Elvis's "energy" is absorbed into the house. He then proceeded to try to use E-mc^2 to justify this belief...I had heard the physics education in the UK was going downhill, but I had no idea it already fell this low...:rofl::rofl::cry:
A lot of people, a lot of them, think that formula is evidence for life after death. It goes something like: "Einstein said energy can neither be created nor destroyed, therefore, the energy field we have around our bodies can survive even when the body dies."

mgb_phys said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Moridin said:

Did a PF mentor just claim that science was a religion? :rolleyes:

Let us examine it, shall we?

To call science a religion should immediately be recognized as an ideological attack, rather than one based on facts. It is a rather ignorant claim in attempting to discredit scientific research and development.

Did you miss my statement "in some ways"? We don't know all the facts and dogmas have been proven wrong over time.

Monique said:
Did you miss my statement "in some ways"? We don't know all the facts and dogmas have been proven wrong over time.

Oh, I thought that the phrase 'in some ways' was just an attempt to limit backlash.

Notice how you said that 'in some ways science is a religion as well'. That suggest that science and religion has one or more things in common that makes them related in a meaningful way. If the relationship is not meaningful, like saying that science and religion is related because they both have an 'e' in them or that they both include people who tries to explain things does not suggest that science is a religion, even "in some ways".

We do not know all the facts, but we know that we do not know all the facts and that is was separates science from religion. Science is aware of it has a strong mechanism of self-correction and makes use of evidence to support its findings. The concept of religion doesn't even come close.

Religion on the other hand generally discourages questioning dogma. Science doesn't claim that its findings are absolute but a approximation that will get better as more and more data is coming in and as the knowledge paradigms are passed. I'm sure you know this already.

The usage of science is not to say that something is true and that's that, but to show that scientific methods and facts are useful in making predictions and understanding the world.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/dogma

Individual scientists may be dogmatic, but science is hardly dogmatic as it completely goes against the very point of science. Isn't science the very cure for dogma, not dogma in itself?

Last edited:
Some areas in science are very theoretical, that is what I meant with in some ways. What I had in mind are areas like string theory or what happened during the origin of our universe. Believing in such theories is almost like believing in a religion: what evidence do we really have that the stories are true. This is also what the '100 reasons evolution is stupid' touches on. We say it is stupid that the universe began with a creator: who created the creator. Someone who believes in god says it is stupid that the universe began in a big bang: what set off the big bang? I'm not saying science is a religion, I'm saying that you need to be critical of the evidences otherwise science can be like a religion: we all like to believe these elegant theories as scientist and hope they are true.

Ofcourse the method is different and this is where science diverges from religion: through experimentation and observation we can come closer to the truth.

I think Monique's observation was perfectly valid at the casual level it was made. Science certainly fills the same personal voids in many people's lives as religion does in others and they pursue it with the same degree of absorption. It's what gives their lives the kind of purpose and meaning we'd only otherwise expect to see in a religion. Here at PF, for instance, you'll see some people ask quetions about the nature of Einstein's genius with the same burning fervor that people ask quetions about the existence of free will in religious conversations.