Create movement from leveraging the propagation of magmatism

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of two electro-magnets aimed at each other, where one is turned on and the other is turned off. The magnetism propagates and when it reaches the second magnet, it is turned on in an attracting manner. It is then turned off while the first magnet is turned on in an opposite current, creating repulsion. The question is posed whether only the second magnet would be repelled in this scenario, and whether putting this setup inside a box and oscillating power at a certain frequency would generate one directional movement. The response is that without emitting anything to conserve momentum, this would not be possible and it is suggested to learn the equations that take into account the propagation of these forces.
seb7
TL;DR Summary
Create movement from leveraging the propagation of magmatism
Imagine two electro-magnets about a metre apart aimed at each other. We turn one of them on, and are able to watch the magnetism propagate in slow motion. The moment the magnetism reaches the second electro-magnet, we turn this on (in a manner in which it attracts), and turn the first one off. Am I correct in that only the second one would move towards the first one?

As the magnetism from the second electro-magnetic propagates back to the first one, the first one in turned on, but in an opposite current, creating repulsion, while the other electro-magnetic is turn off. Am I correct in that now only the electro-magnetic which is on is being repelled?

ie. would putting this setup inside a box, and oscillating power in this manner (at around 149mhz?) generate one directional movement?

Seb

Physics news on Phys.org
seb7 said:
would putting this setup inside a box, and oscillating power in this manner (at around 149mhz?) generate one directional movement?
If you mean, without emitting anything to conserve momentum, then no. You can't violate conservation laws.

PeterDonis said:
If you mean, without emitting anything to conserve momentum, then no. You can't violate conservation laws.
yep I understand this, but where's the flaw?

seb7 said:
where's the flaw?
I don't know. Have you tried to actually do the math?

PeterDonis said:
I don't know. Have you tried to actually do the math?
I don't know of any equations that take into account the propagation of these forces

seb7 said:
I don't know of any equations that take into account the propagation of these forces
Then your first step should be to learn them. Once you have, if you work through the math for the scenario you posed and still can't see how momentum is conserved, then you can start a new thread with a much more specific question based on actual math, and therefore a much better basis for PF discussion.

In the meantime, this thread is closed.

1. What is the process of leveraging the propagation of magmatism to create movement?

The process involves using the energy and force generated by the movement of magma within the Earth's crust to create movement on the surface. This movement can manifest as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other geological events.

2. How does magmatism contribute to plate tectonics and continental drift?

Magmatism is a driving force behind plate tectonics and continental drift. As magma rises and cools, it creates new crust at mid-ocean ridges, pushing the existing plates apart. This movement also causes subduction, where one plate slides under another, contributing to the movement of continents over time.

3. What are some examples of movement created by leveraging the propagation of magmatism?

Some examples include the formation of new islands and landmasses, such as the Hawaiian Islands, which were created by the movement of magma from a hotspot in the Earth's mantle. Other examples include volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, and the formation of mountain ranges.

4. Can magmatism be predicted and used to forecast future movement?

While scientists have a good understanding of the processes behind magmatism and its role in creating movement, it is difficult to predict exactly when and where these events will occur. However, ongoing research and monitoring of volcanic and seismic activity can provide valuable information for forecasting potential movement in the future.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with leveraging the propagation of magmatism to create movement?

There are inherent risks associated with any geological events, including those caused by magmatism. Volcanic eruptions and earthquakes can have devastating effects on nearby communities and infrastructure. It is important for scientists to continue studying and monitoring these events to better understand and mitigate potential risks.