Power required to drive a DIY electromagnetic air compressor

In summary, an electromagnetic air compressor operates using attraction and repulsion forces created by electromagnets. It takes almost no energy to move a magnet slowly along a horizontal frictionless surface, but to create a powerful enough force to compress air, a single stage compressor needs a piston that is a permanent magnet and is pushed and pulled through the cylinder by two electromagnets.
Marc bacon
I'm trying to calculate the battery requirements for an experimental home built air compressor. I understand that electromagnetic air compressors operate using attraction and repulsion forces created by electromagnets using the basic magnetic principle that like poles of two magnets repel and opposite poles attract. I 'm trying to calculate two things. Firstly the force required to repel a permanent magnet, which acts as a piston, through a cylinder with diameter 2cm and length 30cm. Secondly how much electrical power in watts it would take to create sufficient magnetic force to repel the piston at one end and attract at the other end.. I believe the SI unit for magnetic force is N (Newton meters). Is there a formula I could use to determine these two measures? .

Physics news on Phys.org
Marc bacon said:
Firstly the force required to repel a permanent magnet, which acts as a piston, through a cylinder with diameter 2cm and length 30cm
Hi Marc bacon.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

But you're wanting the magnet to do a lot more than just move itself---you want it to compress air in the process, and that's what will consume energy!

If it weren't compressing air, then it takes almost no energy to move a magnet slowly along a horizontal frictionless surface.

Is this going to be single-stage compression? What pressure are you aiming for? How many litres/hour of compressed air are you planning for?

I can't help you, but I'm sure these figures will be needed in any estimate.

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply and welcome :-) yes my initial idea was a single stage compression. But that looks unlikely, multiple stages seem more realistic. I'm aiming for 8- 10 bar. If the project is feasible with 24 or 48 volt lithium batteries from one cylinder I'm hoping for more than 300 litres an hour. I'm counting on one compression stroke taking much less than one second.

This might be cheating, but reciprocating compressors are pretty common devices, so you can google for one that meets your requirements and see what the power input is.

Likes Marc bacon
upload_2016-8-20_19-33-39.png

P - Piston (permanent magnet)
N - North
S - South

Hi Russ,
Thanks for your feedback. I've googled and googled but would you believe there are currently no commercially available tubular electromagnetic air compressors, unless I'm missing something. There are many planar ones used for clutches, fish tanks and aquariums etc. These operate over very short distances. I'm trying to replicate a hand pump to pump up bicycle tyres, hence the cylinder 2cm diameter by 30cm length. By reciprocating piston do you mean one that uses a crankshaft? I'm trying to avoid that. The diagram above shows what I'm trying to achieve. Its a sort of free piston that gets pushed from and pulled to alternating poles of two electro magnets. The piston is a permanent magnet and the electromagnets change polarity from north to south and back to north and so pushes and pulls the free piston through the cylinder which I'm hoping will be powerful enough to compress air. The cylinder has a input valve for sucking in air and an output valve for compressing air into a tank. Any thoughts on how I could calculate these two variables? (force and watts)

(1) Google ' Solenoid driven air compressors '

(2) To get long working strokes you need at least two solenoids working push pull .

(3) A better arrangement is to use several solenoid sections packet switched .

Last edited:
Likes Marc bacon
I opened my Womack fluid power designers manual and there is a chart for what you are asking.
1 scfm of air in a single stage compressor @ 150psig will require .218 hp
Efficiency of all compressors are considered to be 85%
I think you can look at almost all air motors and compressors and find this to be pretty accurate, hope it helps a little.

Likes Marc bacon
Marc bacon said:
upload_2016-8-20_19-33-39-png.104906.png

P - Piston (permanent magnet)
N - North
S - South

The piston is a permanent magnet and the electromagnets change polarity from north to south and back to north and so pushes and pulls the free piston through the cylinder which I'm hoping will be powerful enough to compress air. The cylinder has a input valve for sucking in air and an output valve for compressing air into a tank.
Don't forget that electromagnets and permanent magnets alike all come with a North and a South. So if the piston has one end N and its other end S, then the polarities at the cylinder extremes should work together: both simultaneously N or simultaneously S.

Likes Marc bacon
RonL said:
I opened my Womack fluid power designers manual and there is a chart for what you are asking.
I think you can look at almost all air motors and compressors and find this to be pretty accurate, hope it helps a little.

Hi RonL , thanks for your feedback and yes its a great help. Are you sure that this type of compressor will work as efficiently as an ICE or electric motor? If so: then as 1 scfm requires .218HP then 5 scfm will require around 1.1HP @ 150psi, after taking into account 15% losses I will need around 750 watts which will be feasible to run on a 48 volt 15 amp/h battery. If the compressor will run at 1,500 rpm I can get around 140 litres a minute and just over 2 litres per second if my calculations are correct.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
Don't forget that electromagnets and permanent magnets alike all come with a North and a South. So if the piston has one end N and its other end S, then the polarities at the cylinder extremes should work together: both simultaneously N or simultaneously S.

upload_2016-8-21_14-57-25.png

Hello, Yes the piston will have both a north and south pole as shown above. Will this affect the efficiency? Is this why this type of compressor isn't commercially available?

RonL said:
Engineering toolbox has a calculator that gives you the theoretical minimum: 0.210 hp. That's close enough to what you pulled off the table.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/horsepower-compressed-air-d_1363.html
Marc bacon said:
I've googled and googled but would you believe there are currently no commercially available tubular electromagnetic air compressors, unless I'm missing something.
Marc bacon said:
Hi RonL , thanks for your feedback and yes its a great help. Are you sure that this type of compressor will work as efficiently as an ICE or electric motor?
These calculations were from the standpoint of the air. The air doesn't know anything other than that it got compressed by a piston, so the methods are functionally identical from the air's point of view. For a DIY project efficiency is always problematic, but I don't see a reason why a linear motor should be less efficient than a normal rotating one if it is constructed well.

Likes RonL
upload_2016-8-21_14-57-25-png.104924.png

That's still not right. [emoji86]

The cylinder's end poles need to be the same.

What is a DIY electromagnetic air compressor?

A DIY electromagnetic air compressor is a device that uses electromagnetism to generate compressed air, which can then be used for various purposes such as inflating tires or powering pneumatic tools. It is typically made from easily accessible materials and can be built at home.

How does an electromagnetic air compressor work?

An electromagnetic air compressor works by using the principles of electromagnetism. The device consists of a coil of wire and a permanent magnet. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet, producing a force that compresses air in a chamber.

What is the power source for a DIY electromagnetic air compressor?

The power source for a DIY electromagnetic air compressor can vary, but it is typically a battery or a power supply. The amount of power required will depend on the size and design of the compressor, as well as the desired level of air compression.

What are the advantages of using a DIY electromagnetic air compressor?

One of the main advantages of a DIY electromagnetic air compressor is its low cost and accessibility. Since it can be made from common materials, it is a budget-friendly option for those who need compressed air for small projects. Additionally, it is a clean and efficient way to generate compressed air.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a DIY electromagnetic air compressor?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using a DIY electromagnetic air compressor. This includes wearing protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, to prevent injury from flying debris. It is also important to follow the instructions carefully and avoid overloading the compressor, as this can lead to overheating and potential hazards.