Create Truth Table for Controller Outputs: S1, S2, R1, R2

In summary, the question asks for a truth table of the controller outputs enable/direction based on the inputs S1, S2, R1, and R2. Some outputs can be marked as "don't care" to minimize the number of gates in the circuit. The question also clarifies that inputs indicating non-floor destinations should be marked as impossible and the corresponding outputs as "don't care". For the second part of the question, the direction output can be 1 0 if the lift is already on the 1st floor. For the last part, the suggested output is 0 X unless the lift occupant should be punished for pressing the wrong floor.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

The question is mostly in the picture, it has tables associated with it so I couldn't put it here.QUESTION: Make a truth table of the controller outputs enable/direction, as a function of the inputs S1, S2, R1, and R2. Since you have not been given the explicit output for some inputs, to minimize the number of gates in the circuit, it is desirable to mark these outputs as “don’t care”, denoted by “X” and meaning that either a 0 or 1 is acceptable.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused at the question,

should my truth table be something like..

S1 | S2 | R1 | R2| Enable Direction
0 0 0 0 X X
0 0 0 1 ? ?
0 0 1 1 ? ?
0 1 1 1 1 0
1 1 11 0 X
I have an input for (R1 R2 ) 0 1, but no input for S1 and S2. Should I put X X again or am I doing this wrong? If either side has no input(aka 0 0) should I put X X for both enable and direction?

For the next part, 0 1 1 1... should it be 1 0? Meaning I am on second floor, and want to go to ground floor. I want it to move down two floors, but the direction command only says go down 1 floor for the 0 input.

For 1 1 1 1... should it be 0 X? I want the door to open but direction doesn't have to do anything.

Attachments

• S0.png
    S0.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
First identify all the impossible inputs, and mark the outputs as don't care. Impossible is if either the source or destination bit pair indicates a non-floor.

Re the second question, 1 0 is fine, because once the lift gets to the 1st floor it will have a new Current Floor, and hence get a new instruction, which will be to go down again.

Re your last question, that sounds best, unless we wish to punish the lift occupant for pressing the wrong floor by trapping them in the lift. :wink:

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a mathematical table used to show the outputs of a logical expression for all possible combinations of input values.

2. Why is a truth table important in controller design?

A truth table is important in controller design because it helps visualize and understand the behavior of a system and its outputs based on different input conditions. This allows for efficient and accurate design of control systems.

3. How do S1, S2, R1, and R2 relate to the truth table for controller outputs?

S1, S2, R1, and R2 represent the input conditions of the controller, and the truth table shows the corresponding outputs for each combination of these inputs. This allows for the prediction and analysis of the controller's behavior.

4. Can a truth table be used for more complex controller systems?

Yes, a truth table can be used for more complex systems with multiple inputs and outputs. It may become more difficult to visualize and interpret, but the basic principles of a truth table still apply.

5. How can I use a truth table to troubleshoot my controller system?

A truth table can be used to identify any inconsistencies or errors in the controller's behavior by comparing the expected outputs based on the truth table to the actual outputs of the system. This can help pinpoint any issues and guide the troubleshooting process.