Creating a Magnetic Snow Globe: Lightweight Options

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a magnetic globe with a diameter of 30 cm, similar to a snow globe, that is magnetic on the outside. The use of an electromagnet is suggested as a way to make it light and the discussion also includes considerations for the direction and strength of the magnetic field. The potential use for the globe is also mentioned, and two examples of similar products are provided. Suggestions for creating the globe include gluing disk magnets to a balloon, but more information is needed for better quality answers.
Behrouz
I'm trying to make a magnetic globe (magnetic from outside) with diameter of about 30 cm. Please imagine it as a snow globe, while it is magnetic as well :). I'm wondering about the options to make it, as light as possible.
Please feel free to suggest tags here, if I'm missing anything or I have put the message in the wrong thread :)
Thanks.
Behrouz

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any preferences for the direction and strength of magnetic field?

A good way to make such a globe is to have an electromagnet. The current will depend on the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

How do you plan to utilise the globe? Can it have wires wound around it on the outside? Or should the mechanism of creating the B-field be hidden inside the globe?

Likes Dale
Behrouz said:
I'm trying to make a magnetic globe (magnetic from outside) with diameter of about 30 cm. Please imagine it as a snow globe, while it is magnetic as well :). I'm wondering about the options to make it, as light as possible.
Please feel free to suggest tags here, if I'm missing anything or I have put the message in the wrong thread :)
Thanks.
Behrouz
If you want to make it light then you should be thinking in terms of electromagnets.

Behrouz said:
I'm trying to make a magnetic globe (magnetic from outside) with diameter of about 30 cm.

You could glue disk magnets to the surface of a balloon.

If you want better quality answers, you'll have to explain better what you are trying to accomplish.

Likes Dale

1. What materials do I need to create a magnetic snow globe?

To create a magnetic snow globe, you will need a clear plastic or glass globe, water, glycerin, glitter or fake snow, a small magnet, and a base or platform to hold the globe.

2. Can I use any type of water for my snow globe?

It is recommended to use distilled water for your snow globe to prevent any impurities or minerals from clouding the water or damaging the globe over time.

3. How do I make my snow globe lightweight?

To make your snow globe lightweight, you can use a plastic globe instead of glass, and use less water and more glycerin. Adding more glycerin will make the liquid thicker and the snow or glitter will fall slower, making the snow globe feel lighter.

4. Can I use any type of glitter or fake snow?

It is best to use fine glitter or fake snow in your snow globe to prevent clogging the water and to create a more realistic snowfall effect. You can also mix different sizes and colors of glitter for a unique look.

5. How do I attach the magnet to the base of the snow globe?

You can use strong adhesive or hot glue to attach the magnet to the base of the snow globe. Make sure the magnet is securely attached so it can hold the globe in place without falling or tipping over.