Creating a positron and a electron with a photon

In summary, the conversation discusses the impossibility of a photon creating a positron and electron on its own due to the violation of conservation of momentum. It is suggested that this can only occur if a heavy atomic core is introduced, but even then, the resulting energy of the nucleus would be almost zero. The possibility of the electron and positron being created at rest is also mentioned.
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

Hi everybody. I have to demostrate that a photon, no matter it's energy, will never be able to create a positron and an electron on it's own.

Homework Equations

E=Sqrt(m^2+p^2) as long as c=1
Conservation of energy Ei=Ef; initial energy is equal to final energy.
Conservation of momentum Pi=Pf; initial momentum is equal to final momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

This violates the conservation of momentum because if we go to the centre of mass, the photon will have momentum E; but in the same system, the total final momentum will be zero.
Is this enough to demostrate that the desintegration of a photon on its own in two particles is impossible?[/B]

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
Should be fine if you add that a photon with energy E and 0 momentum does not exist.
Alternatively, find a frame where the photon energy is too low.

Likes Frank Einstein
mfb said:
Should be fine if you add that a photon with energy E and 0 momentum does not exist.
Alternatively, find a frame where the photon energy is too low.
Thanks for the anwser.

I am also trying to demostrate that if we introduce a heavy atomic core, this will be possible, but the energy of the nucleus will be almost zero. All I can think of is that the core has the same momentum that the photon had before the colision; and since the mass of the core is huge compared with the energy of the photon, the energy of the core will be almost is mass; but I am not very sure if I can say that the electron and positron are created at rest.

Frank Einstein said:
but I am not very sure if I can say that the electron and positron are created at rest.
They don't have to, but they can. Usually their combined momentum points (roughly) in the same direction as the photon momentum, so the momentum transfer to the nucleus is even smaller than the photon momentum.

Likes Frank Einstein
Then I can solve the exercice properly. Thanks.

1. How is it possible to create a positron and an electron with just a single photon?

It is possible to create a positron and an electron with a single photon through a process called pair production. This occurs when a high-energy photon interacts with a nucleus or an electron and is converted into an electron-positron pair.

2. What is the energy threshold for pair production to occur?

The energy threshold for pair production to occur is 1.02 MeV (megaelectron volts), which is equivalent to the combined mass of an electron and a positron.

3. What happens to the photon after pair production?

The photon is completely absorbed in the process of pair production and its energy is used to create the electron-positron pair.

4. How does pair production contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Pair production is a phenomenon that can only be explained by the principles of quantum mechanics. It demonstrates the conversion of energy into matter, which is a fundamental concept in quantum physics.

5. Can pair production occur in any medium?

Pair production can occur in any medium, but the probability of it happening is higher in denser materials due to the increased likelihood of the high-energy photon interacting with a nucleus or an electron.