Collisions in special relativity

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of conservation of energy and momentum in solving a physics problem involving photons. However, the equations presented were found to be incorrect due to mismatched physical dimensions. There is no reason for c(Pf'-Pf) to be equal to 1 as it has a physical dimension and 1 is dimensionless.
rashida564
Homework Statement
Collision between particles as shown in the picture below
Relevant Equations
Ei=Ef
Pi=Pf
Happy new year, I got very far in this question. I attempted to use conservation of energy first.
Ei=(Pfc)^2+mec^2 Where pf is the initial momentum of the photons
Ef=(γmec^2)+(pf'c)^2
Then used conservation of momentum
Pf=γmvcos(Θ)
Pf'=-γmvsin(Θ).
After that I added Pf and Pf'.
and used conservation of energy to find that (pf'-pf)(pf+pf)=(1-γ)me
which I substitute it's value back for pf+pf'.
simplified the expression to get that cos(Θ)-sin(Θ)=sqrt(γ-1)/sqrt(γ-1)c(Pf'-Pf)
from the question I believe that c(Pf'-Pf) should be equal to one or otherwise, I would've done algebraic mistake along the lines. But is there any reason why c(Pf'-Pf) should equal to 1.

Attachments

• collisi.PNG
    collisi.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 137
Physics news on Phys.org
rashida564 said:
Ei=(Pfc)^2+mec^2 Where pf is the initial momentum of the photons
Ef=(γmec^2)+(pf'c)^2
These equations are clearly false as the physical dimensions of the different terms are different.

rashida564 said:
But is there any reason why c(Pf'-Pf) should equal to 1.
It cannot be equal to one, it has physical dimension and 1 is dimensionless.

1. What is the concept of "collisions in special relativity"?

Collisions in special relativity refer to the study of interactions between particles or objects traveling at relativistic speeds, where the effects of time dilation and length contraction must be taken into account.

2. How do collisions in special relativity differ from classical collisions?

In classical collisions, the velocities of objects are typically much lower than the speed of light and the effects of relativity are negligible. In special relativity, the velocities of the objects are close to the speed of light, causing time and space to behave differently.

3. How does special relativity explain the energy-mass equivalence in collisions?

In special relativity, energy and mass are considered to be two forms of the same entity. When objects collide at high speeds, some of their energy is converted into mass, resulting in an increase in the total mass of the system.

4. Can special relativity predict the outcome of collisions?

Yes, special relativity can be used to predict the outcome of collisions by taking into account the velocities and masses of the objects involved. However, predicting the exact outcome can be challenging due to the complex nature of relativistic effects.

5. What are some real-world applications of special relativity in studying collisions?

Special relativity plays a crucial role in particle accelerators, where collisions between subatomic particles occur at very high speeds. It is also essential in understanding cosmic ray collisions in space and in the development of nuclear reactors.