Creating a Shock-Absorbing Design for an Egg Drop

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a mechanism to prevent an egg from cracking or breaking when dropped from different heights. The design must have a mass of less than 300g and fit into a Sterillite Plastic box. It cannot simply be wrapped in something, reduce velocity, or have wings or parachutes. The egg will be dropped from 1.5m and then 10m, requiring it to withstand multiple trials. Suggestions include a frame with elastic bands to hold the egg, suspending the egg in a network of rubber bands in the box filled with water, and using a roll of toilet paper with duct tape to protect the egg.
Crazyhooligin
I need ideas to build a design that will prevent an egg from cracking or breaking.

Guidelines:
Design has to have a mass of <300g.
Must fit into a Sterillite Plastic box
Cannot simply be wraped in something (i.e. a pillow, bubble wrap, t-shirts)
Cannot reduce velocity (wings, Parachutes)

The egg will be dropped from around 1.5 m. at first, then it will be dropped from 10 m, so it should be able to withstand multiple trials. Thanks for your ideas!

Physics news on Phys.org
Design something with elestic bands in mind, like a frame, that holds the egg in the middle in some form of cage which is suspended from an outer frame using elastic bands. The idea of this excersise is to minimise impulse, so start thinking ablong the lines of how you could extend the time it takes for the egg to come to rest.

Throwing an egg against a wall < time to rest < throwing egg against loose sheet.

No wings? That's tough!

I take it that you cannot encase the egg in Jello or some other material?? Got to be a mechanical system of some kind?

yeah those are the only guidelines. I saw an interesting design on another site where you take a roll of toilet paper, place the egg in the center, stuff crumpled paper in the two ends and then duct tape the whole thing. I'm going to try it but suggestions are always welcome.

How about if you suspend the egg in the Sterilite box using a network of rubber bands, then fill the box with water to futher damp the movement of the egg under impact. You'll have to duct-tape the lid down securely because water is incompressible and it will tend to pop the lid on impact.

Related to Creating a Shock-Absorbing Design for an Egg Drop

1. How can I make sure my egg doesn't crack during the drop?

There are a few key factors to consider when creating a shock-absorbing design for an egg drop. First, you want to use materials that are light but strong, such as foam or bubble wrap. Next, you will want to create a cushioning system around the egg, such as a parachute or crumpled paper. Finally, make sure to test your design before the actual drop to make any necessary adjustments.

2. Is there a specific shape or structure that works best for absorbing shock?

While there is no one perfect shape or structure for shock absorption, there are a few designs that have proven to be effective. Some popular options include building a box with multiple layers of cushioning or creating a cone-shaped structure with a cushioned base. Ultimately, the key is to have a strong and lightweight outer shell with a cushioned interior.

3. How do I calculate the amount of cushioning needed for a successful drop?

The amount of cushioning needed for a successful egg drop will depend on a variety of factors, such as the height of the drop and the weight of the egg. To get a rough estimate, you can use the equation F=ma, where F is the force of impact, m is the mass of the egg, and a is the acceleration (in this case, gravity). From there, you can determine the amount of cushioning needed to reduce the force of impact to a safe level.

4. Can I use household items to create a shock-absorbing design?

Absolutely! In fact, some of the most successful egg drop designs have been made using common household items. For example, you can use items like cotton balls, tissues, or even plastic bags to create a cushioning system. Just make sure to test and reinforce your design to ensure maximum shock absorption.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when conducting an egg drop experiment?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when conducting any scientific experiment. When dropping an egg, make sure to have a clear and open space, away from any people or objects. If using a high drop, make sure to have a safety net or barrier in place. And always wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling materials or conducting the drop.