Egg Drop Project: Creative Designs with Limited Materials

In summary, a student needs help with ideas for their egg drop project, which requires building something that can withstand a 5 meter drop using only 2 sheets of printer paper and 1 meter of tape. The student considers using a parachute but is unsure if it will provide enough cushioning. They receive advice to roll one sheet of paper into a cylinder, place the egg inside, and tape the flaps closed. They are also instructed to make "legs" or braces for the cylinder using the other sheet of paper and to tape the egg and legs in the center to maintain equal distribution of weight. The summary ends with a question about the outcome of the project.
Killjoywannabe
Okay. I have to do the egg drop project tomorrow and I need help with ideas for designs.

Available materials:

2 sheets of printer paper
1 meter of tape

I have to build something that can withstand about a 5 meter drop. Additional materials can be 'purchased' with grade points, but only more paper or tape. Paper = 4 points Tape = 4 points New egg = 8 points

I was thinking a parachute but at the same time I don't think I can cushion the fall enough with just that.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Roll one piece of the paper into a cylinder. Put the egg inside and tape the cylinder flaps closed. Now, take the other piece of paper and make "legs" or braces for the cylinder, so that when you drop it, it will not tip over. Tape the legs to both sides of the cylinder. Also, be sure to tape the egg into the middle of the cylinder to keep the center of mass equal and prevent from tipping over. This goes for the legs too. They have to be equal on both sides.

Likes Suraj M
How did it go? Did it work?

1. How do I start the egg drop project?

The first step is to research and understand the basic principles of physics and engineering involved in the egg drop project. Then, brainstorm and sketch out potential designs that could protect the egg from cracking when dropped. Finally, gather your materials and start building your chosen design.

2. What materials can I use for the egg drop project?

The materials you use for the egg drop project are limited only by your creativity and the guidelines set by your teacher or competition. Common materials used include straws, popsicle sticks, rubber bands, paper cups, and cardboard. Make sure to choose materials that are lightweight but strong enough to protect the egg.

3. How can I make my egg drop project more creative?

Think outside the box and use unconventional materials, such as bubble wrap, cotton balls, or even balloons. You can also incorporate different shapes and structures into your design, such as triangles or arches, to distribute the force of impact and protect the egg.

4. How can I test my egg drop project before the final drop?

It's important to test your egg drop project before the final drop to make any necessary adjustments. You can test it by dropping it from a height similar to the final drop, or by using a simulation tool such as a virtual egg drop app. You can also have a friend or family member hold your project and drop it while you observe its landing.

5. How do I measure the success of my egg drop project?

The success of your egg drop project is measured by whether or not the egg remains intact after being dropped. If the egg cracks or breaks, your project is not successful. However, if the egg survives the drop, you can also consider other factors such as the creativity and functionality of your design, as well as any additional criteria set by your teacher or competition.