Creating a solution for all the answer choices

• Thread starter eri139
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choices
In summary, someone is trying to solve a physics problem but is having trouble with the root 3. They are considering saying it's an extra answer just to trick the test-taker, but may be able to find an alternative solution.
eri139

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/LYaudl1
upload_2018-11-13_23-3-54.png

Here is the question! Basically, we have to come up with a (reasonable) solution to all of the answer choices. It IS multiple choice, so only 1 answer is right (it is D), but we still have to find a way someone might have slipped up and made a mistake.

Homework Equations

p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I understand how to get C, D, and E. I drew a diagram and combined the vectors so the vector of the 3m mass is √2mV. And since that momentum is equal to 3mv, I solved to get v = (√2/3)V. Then for C that would just be someone making it in the opposite direction. And for E that would be solving until √2mV and leaving it as that. But I'm so lost on how someone would get 1/√3. Please help! I have been trying for 1.5 hours + and still haven't gotten anywhere.

https://imgur.com/a/mMhqV46

Here is the diagram I drew. It's basically an extension of the one in the question above.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-13_23-3-54.png
    upload_2018-11-13_23-3-54.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
eri139 said:
... I drew a diagram
SAYING that you have drawn a diagram is of no help to us figuring out what the issue is. Show the diagram.

phinds said:
SAYING that you have drawn a diagram is of no help to us figuring out what the issue is. Show the diagram.
Okay...I didn't include it because I didn't think it was necessary since the diagram itself isn't the issue. But I'll put it in the description above.

eri139 said:
how someone would get 1/√3
The √2 comes from geometry, but there appears to be no way that √3 can. What equation might someone have used that would involve taking a square root to find a speed?

haruspex said:
The √2 comes from geometry, but there appears to be no way that √3 can. What equation might someone have used that would involve taking a square root to find a speed?
Uh...forgive me if I sound really dumb, but I have no clue. I have NO idea where the root 3 could come from. I'm considering just saying it's an extra answer put in there just to trick the test-taker, since I can find no alternative.

eri139 said:
Uh...forgive me if I sound really dumb, but I have no clue. I have NO idea where the root 3 could come from. I'm considering just saying it's an extra answer put in there just to trick the test-taker, since I can find no alternative.
Detach your thinking from the present problem if you can. When, in solving kinetics problems, does one take a square root to find a speed?

haruspex said:
Detach your thinking from the present problem if you can. When, in solving kinetics problems, does one take a square root to find a speed?
Would it be KE = 1/2mv^2?

Edit: okay, so now I've tried doing it like that. Would this be "correct"? :
P 1&2 = P3
P3 = 1/2m3v^2
P1 &2 = 1/2m3V^2
1/2mV^2 = 1/2m3v^2
mV^2 = m3v^2
mV^2 = 3mv^2
v = V/√3

Enough to make some physics teachers turn red with rage? :biggrin:

Last edited:
eri139 said:
Would it be KE = 1/2mv^2?

Edit: okay, so now I've tried doing it like that. Would this be "correct"? :
P 1&2 = P3
P3 = 1/2m3v^2
P1 &2 = 1/2m3V^2
1/2mV^2 = 1/2m3v^2
mV^2 = m3v^2
mV^2 = 3mv^2
v = V/√3

Enough to make some physics teachers turn red with rage? :biggrin:
That's almost what I had in mind, but need to explain why it doesn't end up as √(2/3).
Maybe take components of the velocities of the two smaller masses before calculating the KEs: ½3mv2=2(½m(V/√2)2)?

haruspex said:
That's almost what I had in mind, but need to explain why it doesn't end up as √(2/3).
Maybe take components of the velocities of the two smaller masses before calculating the KEs: ½3mv2=2(½m(V/√2)2)?
Alright, I got it! Thank you for the help and putting up with me haha

1. How do you determine the best solution for all the answer choices?

The best solution for all the answer choices is determined by analyzing the problem and considering all the available options. This may involve conducting research, gathering data, and evaluating the potential outcomes of each possible solution. It is important to also consider the needs and preferences of the target audience before making a decision.

2. What factors should be taken into consideration when creating a solution for all the answer choices?

When creating a solution for all the answer choices, factors such as the problem's complexity, the resources available, and the target audience's needs and preferences should be taken into consideration. Other factors may include the timeline for implementing the solution, the potential risks and benefits, and the cost-effectiveness of each option.

3. How can you ensure that the solution you create will be effective for all the answer choices?

To ensure that the solution you create will be effective for all the answer choices, it is important to involve key stakeholders and gather feedback throughout the process. This will help to identify any potential issues or gaps in the solution and allow for adjustments to be made before implementing it. It is also important to test and evaluate the solution before fully implementing it to ensure its effectiveness.

4. What are some common challenges faced when creating a solution for all the answer choices?

Some common challenges faced when creating a solution for all the answer choices include limited resources, conflicting opinions and preferences among stakeholders, and unforeseen obstacles that may arise during the implementation process. It is important to anticipate these challenges and have a contingency plan in place to address them.

5. How can you ensure that the solution you create is sustainable for all the answer choices?

To ensure that the solution you create is sustainable for all the answer choices, it is important to consider the long-term impact and viability of the solution. This may involve conducting a cost-benefit analysis, identifying potential risks and challenges, and creating a plan for ongoing maintenance and support. It is also important to regularly review and update the solution as needed to ensure its sustainability over time.