Creating slag through magnetic compression

In summary: Pretty much ya, and by slag I was meaning that would it be possible to make slag or cause metal to melt using pressure/force from magnetism. I know it's possible through pressure and friction which causes it to heat up and thus melt but ya.
Thurirl
This is simply a top of the head idea that seems kinda cool but I don't really know what it could be good for. My idea was, would it be possible through the use of magnetic pressure can a metal be reduced to a slag or almost liquid like state? I know that more than likely it isn't possible due to magnets losing strength in high heat environments but if the heat issue could be bypassed then in the end could a solid metal be put under enough pressure through magnetic force to change states? Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, tried looking but couldn't quite find anything to answer my question. Again this is mainly out of curiosity of if will work or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic induction is used to heat (and melt) metals. Induction cooktops work this way. I'm not sure what you mean by magnetic pressure.

Likes Thurirl
ChemAir said:
Electromagnetic induction is used to heat (and melt) metals. Induction cooktops work this way. I'm not sure what you mean by magnetic pressure.

Ya this is exactly what I was meaning, and you I think by magnetic pressure I was meaning that through the use of the push and pull of magnetism create what would basically be a press or compressing force on the metal and then applying enough of said force to crush or squish the metal and possibly put enough force on it to change states from a solid state to a semi solid or even liquid like state. Kinda like the video but as more of a crushing force then induction.

If your aim is to smash or crush objects using emf consider Coilgun and Railgun .

220px-Coilgun_animation.gif

285px-Railgun_usnavy_2008.jpg

Likes Thurirl
Likes Klystron
Thurirl said:
My thoughts were more like a car crusher but with very powerful magnets instead of a giant pneumatic press.
My first thought also after reading the thread -- crushing old automobiles as in a junkyard -- but the title specifies slag. Crushing cars using electromagnets in place of hydraulic rams seems doable with current technology but likely much more expensive to build and operate?

[Edit: I just noticed this is a Sci-Fi forum not actual technology. Joke is on me!]

Last edited:
Klystron said:
My first thought also after reading the thread -- crushing old automobiles as in a junkyard -- but the title specifies slag. Crushing cars using electromagnets in place of hydraulic rams seems doable with current technology but likely much more expensive to build and operate?

[Edit: I just noticed this is a Sci-Fi forum not actual technology. Joke is on me!]
Pretty much ya, and by slag I was meaning that would it be possible to make slag or cause metal to melt using pressure/force from magnetism. I know it's possible through pressure and friction which causes it to heat up and thus melt but ya.

For metals, I'm not sure force from the B-field is really what causes heating. The heating is more from resistive losses due to the eddy currents generated in the conductive metal. Although I suppose this all depends on how you define force, something makes the electrons move, after all.

Likes Thurirl

1. What is magnetic compression?

Magnetic compression is a process in which a strong magnetic field is used to compress and heat a material, resulting in a high-pressure environment that can induce chemical reactions and phase changes.

2. How does magnetic compression create slag?

During magnetic compression, the high-pressure environment can cause the material to melt and react with other elements present. This can result in the formation of slag, which is a byproduct of the chemical reactions taking place.

3. What materials can be used to create slag through magnetic compression?

Magnetic compression can be applied to a wide range of materials, including metals, minerals, and even organic materials. However, the specific composition and properties of the material will determine the type of slag that is produced.

4. What are the potential applications of creating slag through magnetic compression?

Creating slag through magnetic compression has several potential applications, including waste management, purification of metals, and production of new materials with unique properties. It can also be used in the study of high-pressure environments and chemical reactions.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to creating slag through magnetic compression?

While magnetic compression has many benefits, there are also some challenges and limitations to consider. These include the high cost of equipment and energy required, as well as the need for precise control and understanding of the material's properties and reactions.