Creating Vacuums: Moving Through Any Space?

• Thread starter wilha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, when something moves through space, it creates an area of high pressure in front and low pressure behind. This can cause a slight vacuum, but not a complete absence of air. When a car drives by at high speeds, the air rushes in to fill the low pressure area behind it, causing a shaking effect on surrounding objects. This is why it is dangerous to "draft" behind a truck on the highway. NASA has even used this principle to create a high vacuum laboratory in orbit.
wilha
Try to picture this.

When moving through space (i mean any space, not necessarily outer space) , does one create vacuum just by moving through it ?

i.e
When a car goes by at a high speed, does it create short vacuums as it passes by, and the air around it fill that void behind the car after it goes by ?

Physics news on Phys.org
A slight vacuum, yes. A moving car creates an area of high pressure in front and low pressure behind.

Lets say I am in a car and it is stopped at a red light, and a bunch of cars zip by next to my car but at really high speeds, the shaking experience of my car, is it cause by a "slight" vacuum, or something different ?

wilha said:
Try to picture this.

When moving through space (i mean any space, not necessarily outer space) , does one create vacuum just by moving through it ?

i.e
When a car goes by at a high speed, does it create short vacuums as it passes by, and the air around it fill that void behind the car after it goes by ?

A number of years ago NASA put a structure in orbit called "Wake Shield." It was shaped like a large concave disk and its purpose was to create a better vacuum (lower particle density) behind the shield as it orbited the earth. They could use the volume behind the shield as a high vacuum laboratory in which they could do things like vacuum deposition on a target substrate or growing crystals. I never did hear of results from the experiments.

[Edit: I just found this link.]

http://ipp.nasa.gov/innovation/Innovation15/InnovWelcome.html

Last edited:
wilha said:
Lets say I am in a car and it is stopped at a red light, and a bunch of cars zip by next to my car but at really high speeds, the shaking experience of my car, is it cause by a "slight" vacuum, or something different ?

The shaking happens because as the other car rushes past you there is lower pressure behind it. Your car is interfering with some of the surrounding air and preventing it from flowing into the low pressure area. As the surrounding air tries to rush into the area it flows around your car and pushes on it. As the other car drives off the low pressure area dissipates and the shaking stops. This happens very rapidly and doesn't last long. That's why you feel a sudden jolt and not a continuous jostling.

This effect can be quit pronounced behind a big rig truck and can be startling and dangerous. That's why I stay away from trucks when I'm on the freeway. Even when you're driving next to the back of a truck on the highway the turbulence caused by this effect can be severe.

This is time to introduce a caution of the "Don't try this at home" sort. There is a very dangerous practice called "draughting", wherein someone tries to save a lot of fuel by tucking in behind a tractor-trailer on the highway. There is a very high chance of that resulting in death, so don't do it.

wilha said:
i.e

Essentially yes...but depends what you mean by vacuum. There's definitely an area of low pressure behind a moving car, and air does rush into fil the "void". But it's by no means a complete absence of air. Just less of it. Even the best vacuums we can ever make have some molecues floating around, and the area behind a car is far from that.

Hey bobc2, thanks for that link. Really interesting :D

Thanks guys

Related to Creating Vacuums: Moving Through Any Space?

What is a vacuum?

A vacuum is a space devoid of matter, meaning it has no particles or atoms present. It is created when all the air or gas is removed from a given space.

How is a vacuum created?

A vacuum can be created in several ways. One common method is by using a vacuum pump to remove air or gas from a container, creating a low-pressure environment. Another way is by cooling gases to extremely low temperatures, causing them to condense and form a vacuum.

What are some practical applications of creating vacuums?

Vacuums have many practical uses in science and technology. They are used in the production of electronic devices, vacuum-sealing food for preservation, and in medical procedures such as suctioning during surgeries.

Can vacuums exist in nature?

Yes, vacuums can exist in nature. The vastness of outer space is considered a vacuum because it has very low gas density and is mostly devoid of matter. There are also small pockets of vacuums on Earth, such as deep underwater or in caves with extremely low air pressure.

Are vacuums completely empty?

No, vacuums are not completely empty. They may not have any particles or atoms present, but they still contain energy and electromagnetic fields. Additionally, quantum mechanics suggests that there may be virtual particles constantly popping in and out of existence in empty space, making it not truly empty.