Creation annihilation operators - expanding brackets

In summary, creation and annihilation operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum system. They are expanded using commutation and anti-commutation relations to derive important properties of the system. Expanding brackets with these operators allows for simplification and prediction of particle behavior. They can be used for any type of particle, but the commutation and anti-commutation relations may differ. Additionally, creation and annihilation operators relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle by describing the limitations on our ability to measure a particle's position and momentum simultaneously.
yaj
I would like to normal order the following product of creation-annihilation operators, set up in Maple 16 as follows. The problem is, Maple won't perform "expand" (lowercase e) on the last step below (evaluating sigma3(x) :=[op1+op2]*[op3+op4]*[op5+op6] ); , which makes setting up the entire previous operator groups useless. Appreciate any help.
Thanks
yaj

> with(Physics);
> Setup(mathematicalnotation = true);
print(`output redirected...`); # input placeholder
[mathematicalnotation = true]
> am1 := Annihilation(p, 1, notation = explicit);
am1 := a-[p[1]]
> ap1 := Creation(p, 1, notation = explicit);
ap1 := a+[p[1]]
> op1 := am1*exp(-i*p[1]*x);
op1 := a-[p[1]] exp(-i p[1] x)
> op2 := ap1*exp(i*p[1]*x);
op2 := a+[p[1]] exp(i p[1] x)
> am2 := Annihilation(p, 2, notation = explicit);
am2 := a-[p[2]]
> ap2 := Creation(p, 2, notation = explicit);
ap2 := a+[p[2]]
> op3 := am2*exp(-i*p[2]*x);
op3 := a-[p[2]] exp(-i p[2] x)
> op4 := ap2*exp(i*p[2]*x);
op4 := a+[p[2]] exp(i p[2] x)
> am3 := Annihilation(p, 3, notation = explicit);
am3 := a-[p[3]]
> ap3 := Creation(p, 3, notation = explicit);
ap3 := a+[p[3]]
> op5 := am3*exp(-i*p[3]*x);
op5 := a-[p[3]] exp(-i p[3] x)
> op6 := ap3*exp(i*p[3]*x);
op6 := a+[p[3]] exp(i p[3] x)

> sigma3(x) :=[op1+op2]*[op3+op4]*[op5+op6];
sigma3 := Physics:-*(

[a-[p[1]] exp(-i p[1] x) + a+[p[1]] exp(i p[1] x)],

[a-[p[2]] exp(-i p[2] x) + a+[p[2]] exp(i p[2] x)],

[a-[p[3]] exp(-i p[3] x) + a+[p[3]] exp(i p[3] x)])

Physics news on Phys.org

> expand(sigma3(x));
Physics:-*(

[a-[p[1]] exp(-i p[1] x) + a+[p[1]] exp(i p[1] x)],

[a-[p[2]] exp(-i p[2] x) + a+[p[2]] exp(i p[2] x)],

[a-[p[3]] exp(-i p[3] x) + a+[p[3]] exp(i p[3] x)])

In order to perform the "expand" operation on the product of creation-annihilation operators, you will need to use the "expand" command from the Physics package. This command is specifically designed to work with operators and will allow you to expand the product in the desired form. The correct syntax for this command is "expand(expression, operators)". In this case, the expression is "sigma3(x)" and the operators are "a-[p[1]]", "a+[p[1]]", "a-[p[2]]", "a+[p[2]]", "a-[p[3]]", and "a+[p[3]]". Therefore, the correct command to use is "expand(sigma3(x), {a-[p[1]], a+[p[1]], a-[p[2]], a+[p[2]], a-[p[3]], a+[p[3]]})". This should give you the desired expanded form of the product of operators.

Related to Creation annihilation operators - expanding brackets

What are creation and annihilation operators?

Creation and annihilation operators are mathematical operators commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum system. The creation operator adds a particle to a state while the annihilation operator removes a particle from a state.

How are creation and annihilation operators expanded?

Creation and annihilation operators are expanded using the commutation and anti-commutation relations. These relations describe how the operators interact with each other and with the states in the system. By expanding the operators using these relations, we can derive important properties of the system such as energy levels and transition probabilities.

What is the significance of expanding brackets using creation and annihilation operators?

Expanding brackets using creation and annihilation operators allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve for important parameters in a quantum system. This technique is especially useful in understanding the dynamics of particles in a system and predicting their behavior.

Can creation and annihilation operators be used for any type of particle?

Yes, creation and annihilation operators can be used for any type of particle, whether they are bosons or fermions. However, the commutation and anti-commutation relations may differ depending on the type of particle being studied.

How do creation and annihilation operators relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. Creation and annihilation operators are used to describe these properties of particles in a quantum system and can help us understand the limitations placed on our ability to measure them simultaneously.