Creation of our universe from zero energy?

In summary, there have been hypotheses proposed about the creation of our universe from a quantum fluctuation and the possibility of a second universe with opposite particle momenta. However, it is not possible for two particles with opposite momentum to be created with zero energy. PF discourages personal speculation and suggests discussing existing hypotheses in the literature.
entropy1
If the creation of our universe went alongside with creation of a second universe wherein each particle in our universe had a counterpart particle in it with opposite momentum, could those universes (our+second one) be created from zero energy?

Space news on Phys.org
There have been hypotheses proposed in which the universe popped into existence from a quantum fluctuation - like a virtual particle/antiparticle pair spontaneously appearing.

@entropy1 I'm confused - are you saying there must be more Universes, not just one? Or are you asking could there be two or more?

jim mcnamara said:
@entropy1 I'm confused - are you saying there must be more Universes, not just one? Or are you asking could there be two or more?
Let's say that I pose a mirror-universe that started off as the mirror image (wrt momenta of particles) of ours. Like a pair of universes. Of course there could be any number of different universes besides that. But my point is our universe (pair). I suspect that the creation of two particles that have opposite momentum can be created with zero energy, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
I suspect that the creation of two particles that have opposite momentum can be created with zero energy, but I'm not sure.
Why in the world would you suspect that? Do you see oppositely charging elephants popping up all around you?

Bandersnatch said:
Why in the world would you suspect that? Do you see oppositely charging elephants popping up all around you?
Ok. That was very dumb of me I suppose...

entropy1 said:
Ok. That was very dumb of me I suppose...
The energy has to come from somewhere, although your idea is correct, virtual particles appear as oppositely charged pairs in our current universe. If a virtual particle big bang is your belief then an equal antimatter universe is pretty much a given.
Plus I do believe the Elephants have been shown to be standing on Turtles, not running away.

entropy1 said:
the creation of two particles that have opposite momentum can be created with zero energy

This is not possible. Anything that has momentum must also have energy.

@entropy1 as @DaveC426913 mentioned in post #2, there are hypotheses in the literature more or less along the general lines you refer to. PF discussion should be based on one of those hypotheses in the literature. Trying to construct your own hypothesis without being intimately familiar with what is already in the literature (a) is not likely to be fruitful, and (b) runs afoul of PF's policy against personal speculation.

If you can find a particular hypothesis in the literature that you have questions about, feel free to open a new thread on that. This thread is closed.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. How did the universe come into existence from zero energy?

The most accepted theory is the Big Bang, which suggests that the universe began as a singularity with infinite density and zero energy. This singularity then expanded rapidly and created all matter and energy in the universe.

2. What is the role of energy in the creation of the universe?

Energy played a crucial role in the creation of the universe. As the singularity expanded, it released a tremendous amount of energy, which eventually cooled down and formed matter. This matter then clumped together to form stars, galaxies, and eventually, planets.

3. Is there any evidence to support the theory of the universe originating from zero energy?

Yes, there is a significant amount of evidence that supports the Big Bang theory. One of the most convincing pieces of evidence is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover heat from the initial expansion of the universe. Additionally, the abundance of light elements, such as hydrogen and helium, also supports this theory.

4. Can we create a universe from zero energy in a lab?

Currently, we do not have the technology or understanding to create a universe from zero energy in a lab. The conditions required for the Big Bang to occur are beyond our current capabilities. However, scientists continue to research and explore this concept through experiments and simulations.

5. What are some alternative theories to the Big Bang regarding the creation of the universe from zero energy?

Some alternative theories include the Steady State theory, which suggests that the universe has always existed and is continuously expanding, and the Oscillating Universe theory, which proposes that the universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction. However, the Big Bang theory remains the most widely accepted explanation for the creation of the universe from zero energy.