Creation operator and Wavefunction relationship

In summary, the operator \Psi_k \propto c_k + ac_k^{\dagger} can be shorthand for the single particle wavefunction \Psi(x) = c_k + ac_k^{\dagger}.
DeathbyGreen
Hello,

I've noticed that some professors will jump between second quantized creation/annihilation operators and wavefunctions rather easily. For instance [itex] \Psi_k \propto c_k + ac_k^{\dagger}[/itex] with "a" some constant (complex possibly). I'm fairly familiar with the second quantized notation, and from my understanding the concept of wavefunctions is essentially abandoned. The creation/annihilation operators simply add a particle into a state in the number basis. So what would be the way to "translate" some single particle wavefunciton [itex] \Psi_k [/itex] into second quantization, and what would the method/reasoning be?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DeathbyGreen said:
I've noticed that some professors will jump between second quantized creation/annihilation operators and wavefunctions rather easily. For instance [itex] \Psi_k \propto c_k + ac_k^{\dagger}[/itex] with "a" some constant (complex possibly) [...]
We'd have to see the full context that you're quoting. Sometimes a ##\Psi## like that is indeed an operator, not a state.

I see what you're saying; in this instance the [itex]\Psi(x) [/itex] is not a field operator, but a single particle wavefunction, like in the case [itex] H\Psi = \Psi E[/itex]. Is it legitimate to say that [itex]\Psi(x) [/itex] corresponds to a superposition of [itex] c_k[/itex]'s and [itex]c^{\dagger}_k [/itex]'s?

... in which case writing ##\Psi_k \propto c_k + ac_k^\dagger## is nonsense (assuming the ##c##'s are a/c operators).

Please give a reference, or post a link, showing the context of what you're trying to ask about.

Quantum field theory can be interpreted as many-particle quantum mechanics where the number of particles is allowed to change. But what's a little confusing is the fact that the expressions [itex]\psi(\vec{r})[/itex] and [itex]\psi^\dagger(\vec{r})[/itex] don't refer to wave functions, but to operators. There is a "wave function" associated with any state with a definite number of particles, although most treatments of quantum field theory don't talk about wave functions much. But it's definitely not correct to associate a wave function with a linear combination of creation and annihilation operators; a wave function is a complex number, not an operator.

Well, that's why one should mark what's an operator and what's a c-number wave function, i.e., ##\hat{\psi}(\vec{r})## (field operator) vs. ##\psi(\vec{r})## (complex-valued function).

DeathbyGreen said:
Hello,

I've noticed that some professors will jump between second quantized creation/annihilation operators and wavefunctions rather easily. For instance [itex] \Psi_k \propto c_k + ac_k^{\dagger}[/itex] with "a" some constant (complex possibly). I'm fairly familiar with the second quantized notation, and from my understanding the concept of wavefunctions is essentially abandoned. The creation/annihilation operators simply add a particle into a state in the number basis. So what would be the way to "translate" some single particle wavefunciton [itex] \Psi_k [/itex] into second quantization, and what would the method/reasoning be?
I would see it as a shorthand that omits the vacuum state from the RHS. A bit sloppy but understandable.

Likes DeathbyGreen

1. What is the definition of a creation operator?

A creation operator is a mathematical operator that acts on a wavefunction to create a new state with an additional particle.

2. What is the relationship between a creation operator and a wavefunction?

The creation operator and wavefunction are related through the commutation relation, which describes how the creation operator acts on the wavefunction to create a new state.

3. How is a creation operator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, creation operators are used to describe the creation of particles in a quantum system. They are commonly used in many-body systems and in the study of quantum field theory.

4. Can a creation operator be applied to any wavefunction?

No, a creation operator can only be applied to a wavefunction that describes a system with a certain number of particles. It cannot be applied to a wavefunction that describes a system with a different number of particles.

5. How does the use of creation operators affect the probability distribution of a system?

The use of creation operators affects the probability distribution by adding or removing particles from the system, thereby changing the overall number of particles and the probability of finding a certain number of particles in a given state.