Crocodile's blood good for you?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood
In summary, the article discusses how the blood of crocodiles and other reptiles may hold the key to developing powerful antibiotics. This is due to their remarkable ability to fight bacterial infections. The potential uses of this research include finding new sources for antibiotics and improving current treatments. The saliva of the Komodo Dragon was also mentioned as a potential source for anti-bacterial properties, despite its reputation for poor oral hygiene.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Ehm, if not actually the blood, the crocodile's remarkable ability to fight bacterial infections might be a new source for powerful antibiotics, according to this article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4155522.stm

Biology news on Phys.org
Crocodile's blood good for you... I would imagine its better for the crocodile :-p
I hope the research turns out well, of course from this point, it will be 12+ years befor we see any real out come. :frown:

Reptilian secretions are a hot field for anti-biotic research. Even the famous Komodo Dragon's saliva fights bacterial infection. Useful Monster

Perhaps they also should check out the blood to our dear dragon, the Komodo varan.
As I've heard, it isn't particularly assiduous in its use of toothbrush, so rotting pieces of meat filled with bacteria are commonly found wedged in between its teeth (I haven't checked whether this is true myself, though).
This rather bad oral hygiene is perhaps defensible if it has a very strong immune system, although I won't invite them to any parties unless they clean themselves properly.

Reshma said:
Reptilian secretions are a hot field for anti-biotic research. Even the famous Komodo Dragon's saliva fights bacterial infection. Useful Monster
Speaking of the devil..

Related to Crocodile's blood good for you?

1. Is it true that crocodile's blood is good for you?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that crocodile's blood is good for human health.

2. What are the supposed benefits of consuming crocodile's blood?

Some people believe that consuming crocodile's blood can provide a boost of energy and improve overall health. However, these claims are not supported by scientific research.

3. Are there any potential risks associated with consuming crocodile's blood?

While crocodile's blood is not known to be toxic, there is a risk of contracting infections or diseases from consuming raw blood. It is always safest to cook meat and avoid consuming raw blood.

4. Is there any cultural or traditional significance to consuming crocodile's blood?

In some cultures, consuming crocodile's blood is believed to have spiritual or medicinal benefits. However, these beliefs are not supported by scientific evidence.

5. Can crocodile's blood be used as a substitute for human blood?

No, crocodile's blood cannot be used as a substitute for human blood. While it does contain similar components, such as red blood cells and plasma, they are not compatible with human blood and could potentially cause harm if transfused.