Cross Product of vectors in vector mechanics by beer and johnston

In summary, the cross product of two vectors P and Q is given by the equation P x Q = P x Q', even though the angle between Q and P is not the same as the angle between Q' and P. This is because the change in magnitude and angle of Q' compared to Q exactly compensate for each other, as shown by the parallelogram geometry. This can also be demonstrated mathematically, but it can be better understood intuitively through the concept of the parallelogram areas.
chiraganand
Hi,

I was reading vector mechanics by beer and jhonston. I came across the equation wherein the cross prodcut of two vectors P and Q is given. It says P x Q = P x Q` . I am not bale to understand how dis is possible. Because as the vector Q changes even the angle teetha will change then how are both equal?

I am going by the procedure that if Q changes even teetha changes and thus the rhs can not be equal to LHS. I am attaching the two pages 77 and 78 of the book. The equation is given on page 78. Can someone please explain this to me

Attachments

• Vector Mechanics for Engineers - Statics and Dynamics, 9th edition.pdf
    170.8 KB · Views: 206
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the angle between Q and P is not the same as the angle between Q' and P. However, the length of Q is also not the same as the length of Q'. The cross product depends on both of these things. It might not be immediately obvious why these two changes exactly compensate for one another and leave the cross product unchanged, and it is possible to actually show it mathematically, but I think the intuitive description given in the text regarding the area of the parallelogram generated by P and Q (or P and Q') is a much better way of thinking about it. Keep in mind that Q and Q' are not two arbitrary vectors; they are related to each other in that their difference is parallel to P. That relationship implies that the parallelogram generated by P and Q has the same area as the one generated by P and Q'; this is depicted in Fig. 3.7.

By the way, if you still want to work it out mathematically, let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle between P and Q and [itex]\theta'[/itex] the angle between P and Q'. The aforementioned relationship between Q and Q' implies [itex]Q \sin \theta = Q' \sin \theta'[/itex]. If you can work that out, then it's obvious that the cross products with P are equal since you just have to multiply both sides of the previous equation by [itex]P[/itex].

Last edited:
chiraganand said:
Hi,

I was reading vector mechanics by beer and jhonston. I came across the equation wherein the cross prodcut of two vectors P and Q is given. It says P x Q = P x Q` . I am not bale to understand how dis is possible. Because as the vector Q changes even the angle teetha will change then how are both equal?

I am going by the procedure that if Q changes even teetha changes and thus the rhs can not be equal to LHS. I am attaching the two pages 77 and 78 of the book. The equation is given on page 78. Can someone please explain this to me

The vector Q' is larger in magnitude than the vector Q, but the angle between Q' and P is smaller than the angle between Q and P. For the parallelogram geometry that they discuss, the two changes exactly cancel out so that P x Q' = P x Q.

Chet

Thanks guys... but how can we be sure that the increase in magnitude and decrease in angle is exactly dat much to make it equal to the orignal cross product

chiraganand said:
Thanks guys... but how can we be sure that the increase in magnitude and decrease in angle is exactly dat much to make it equal to the orignal cross product
This is a geometry problem involving parallelograms that you should be able to work out on your own. Just drop a normal from each of the points Q and Q' to the line of action of P.

Chet

1. What is the definition of the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol and is also known as the vector product.

2. How is the cross product calculated?

The cross product of two vectors, A and B, can be calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, where the first row is i, j, and k (unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions) and the second and third rows are the components of vector A and B, respectively.

3. What is the physical significance of the cross product?

The cross product has several physical interpretations, including determining the direction of torque (rotational force) and calculating the area of a parallelogram formed by two vectors. It is also used in electromagnetism to describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

4. How is the cross product related to the dot product?

The cross product and dot product are two different operations involving vectors. The dot product results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector. However, they are related through the vector triple product, which states that the cross product of two vectors is equal to the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other two vectors.

5. Can the cross product be used in higher dimensions?

The cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors. In higher dimensions, the cross product can be generalized to the exterior product or the wedge product, which also results in a vector but has different properties and interpretations.