Cross Product Properties Question

In summary, using various cross product and dot product properties, we can simplify the given equation (2A+B) · [(A-C) × (2B+C)] to -3 times the scalar triple product of A, B, and C. This results in a final answer of 6.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

[itex]A\cdot B\times C\quad =\quad 2\\ (2A+B)\quad \cdot \quad [(A-C)\quad \times \quad (2B+C)]\quad =\quad ?[/itex]

Homework Equations

Various cross product and dot product properties

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only managed to get so far, don't really know what to do next
[itex]A\cdot B\times C\quad =\quad 2\\ (2A+B)\quad \cdot \quad [(A-C)\quad \times \quad (2B+C)]\\ \\ =(2A+B)\quad \cdot \quad [(A-C)\times 2B\quad +\quad (A-C)\times C]\\ =(2A+B)\quad \cdot \quad [A\times 2B\quad -\quad C\times 2B\quad +\quad A\times C][/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sho Kano said:

Homework Statement

[itex]A\cdot B\times C\quad =\quad 2\\ (2A+B)\quad \cdot \quad [(A-C)\quad \times \quad (2B+C)]\quad =\quad ?[/itex]

Homework Equations

Various cross product and dot product properties

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only managed to get so far, don't really know what to do next
[itex]A\cdot B\times C\quad =\quad 2\\ (2A+B)\quad \cdot \quad [(A-C)\quad \times \quad (2B+C)]\\ \\ =(2A+B)\quad \cdot \quad [(A-C)\times 2B\quad +\quad (A-C)\times C]\\ =(2A+B)\quad \cdot \quad [A\times 2B\quad -\quad C\times 2B\quad +\quad A\times C][/itex]
The scalar triple product has a very useful cyclic property. X.(YxZ)=Y.(ZxX)=Z.(XxY). Switching the cyclic order swaps the sign.

haruspex said:
The scalar triple product has a very useful cyclic property. X.(YxZ)=Y.(ZxX)=Z.(XxY). Switching the cyclic order swaps the sign.
I tried that already, the problem is I end up getting this mess after distributing
[itex]2A\cdot A\times 2B\quad -\quad 2A\cdot C\times 2B\quad +\quad 2A\cdot A\times C\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times 2B\quad -\quad B\cdot C\times 2B\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times C[/itex]
and there's no way of using the triple scalar product to simplify that, other than the second term

Sho Kano said:
I tried that already, the problem is I end up getting this mess after distributing
[itex]2A\cdot A\times 2B\quad -\quad 2A\cdot C\times 2B\quad +\quad 2A\cdot A\times C\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times 2B\quad -\quad B\cdot C\times 2B\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times C[/itex]
and there's no way of using the triple scalar product to simplify that, other than the second term
The first, third, fourth and fifth terms simplify so much using that hint that they disappear immediately. Post an attempt at using it on the first term.

haruspex said:
The first, third, fourth and fifth terms simplify so much using that hint that they disappear immediately. Post an attempt at using it on the first term.
OH they simplify to 0. I was too focused on matching the given information with the terms.
[itex]2A\cdot A\times B\\ =\quad 2[A\cdot A\times B]\\ =\quad 2[A\times A\cdot B]\\ =\quad 0[/itex]
So we are left with
[itex]-2A\cdot C\times 2B\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times C\\ =\quad -2A\cdot 2[C\times B]\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times C\\ =\quad -4[A\cdot C\times B]\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times C\\ =\quad -4[A\times C\cdot B]\quad +\quad A\times C\cdot B\\ =\quad -3[A\times C\cdot B]\\ =\quad -3[A\cdot C\times B]\\ =\quad -3[-(A\cdot B\times C)]\\ =\quad -3(-2)\\ =\quad 6[/itex]

Sho Kano said:
OH they simplify to 0. I was too focused on matching the given information with the terms.
[itex]2A\cdot A\times B\\ =\quad 2[A\cdot A\times B]\\ =\quad 2[A\times A\cdot B]\\ =\quad 0[/itex]
So we are left with
[itex]-2A\cdot C\times 2B\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times C\\ =\quad -2A\cdot 2[C\times B]\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times C\\ =\quad -4[A\cdot C\times B]\quad +\quad B\cdot A\times C\\ =\quad -4[A\times C\cdot B]\quad +\quad A\times C\cdot B\\ =\quad -3[A\times C\cdot B]\\ =\quad -3[A\cdot C\times B]\\ =\quad -3[-(A\cdot B\times C)]\\ =\quad -3(-2)\\ =\quad 6[/itex]
Looks right.

haruspex said:
Looks right.
Thanks, it turned out to be so simple!

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and produces a third vector as the result. It is also known as a vector product or outer product.

2. What properties does the cross product have?

The cross product has several important properties, including the distributive property, the anticommutative property, and the property of producing a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

3. How do you calculate the cross product?

The cross product can be calculated using the formula:
a x b = (a2b3 - a3b2, a3b1 - a1b3, a1b2 - a2b1)

4. Can the cross product be used in any dimension?

No, the cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors. For vectors in higher dimensions, the cross product is not defined.

5. What are some real-world applications of the cross product?

The cross product has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating torque and angular momentum in mechanics, determining the direction of a magnetic field, and finding the normal vector to a surface in 3D graphics. It is also used in computer science for 3D transformations and in statistics for calculating the covariance of two random variables.