Cross Section Formula in Peskin and Schroeder

In summary, the equation states that the integral over ##d^2b## in the expression:$$d\sigma = \left(\Pi_f \frac{d^3 p_f}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_f}\right) \int d^2b\left(\Pi_{i=A,B} \int \frac{d^3 k_i}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{\phi_i(k_i)}{\sqrt{2E_i}} \int \frac{d^3 \bar{k_i}}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{\phi
Wledig
On page 105 of Peskin and Schroeder's book it says that the integral over ##d^2b## in the expression:

$$d\sigma = \left(\Pi_f \frac{d^3 p_f}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{2E_f}\right) \int d^2b\left(\Pi_{i=A,B} \int \frac{d^3 k_i}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{\phi_i(k_i)}{\sqrt{2E_i}} \int \frac{d^3 \bar{k_i}}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{\phi_i(\bar{k_i})}{\sqrt{2\bar{E_i}}}\right) \times e^{ib(\bar{k_B}-k_B}(<p_f|k_i>)(<p_f|k_i>)^{*}$$

equals ##(2\pi)^2\delta^{(2)}(k_{B}^{\perp}-k_{B}^{\perp})##. I didn't understand why that is so. Can someone explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, ##b## is the parameter impact, which is perpendicular to the beam direction (let's call it ##z##). Then, ##\vec{b}\cdot\vec{k}=\vec{b}\cdot\vec{k^{\perp}}## and, since the only dependence in ##b## is in the exponential, this is the typical definition of ##\delta(\vec{k})##.

Likes vanhees71
Not quite get it. Why doesn't it reduce to merely ##(2\pi)^2\delta^{(2)}(k_B-\bar{k_B})##? Or is that the same thing as ##(2\pi)^2\delta^{(2)}(k_{B}^{\perp}-\bar{k_{B}^{\perp}})##? If so, why?

Well, ##\vec{k}## is a 3d vector, does ##\delta^2(\vec{k})## make any sense to you?
Let's simplify things, your problem is with the following integral:
$$\int dx dy e^{i\vec{r}\cdot \vec{k}}, \qquad \text{with }\vec{r}=x\hat{x}+y\hat{y}$$
Try to do it with all the details and you'll see that it gives ##(2\pi)^2\delta^2(\vec{k}^\perp)## with ##\vec{k}^\perp=k_x \hat{x}+k_y\hat{y}##.

Likes Wledig
I understand now, should've kept track of all my vectors. Thanks a lot for helping me out.

Can I bother you a little more? I got a bit further on the deduction of the formula, but now I'm stuck at:

$$ \int \bar{dk_{A}^{z}}\delta(\sqrt{ \bar{k_{A}^{2}}+m_{A}^{2}}+\sqrt{ \bar{k_{B}^{2}}+m_{B}^{2}}-\sum E_f)|_{\bar{k_{B}^{z}}=\sum p_{f}^{z}-\bar{k_{A}^{z}}} $$
$$ = \frac{1}{|\frac{\bar{k_{A}^{z}}}{\bar{E_A}}-\frac{\bar{k_{B}^{z}}}{\bar{E_B}}|}$$

Is there any property of the delta function that could lead to this? I really can't see how to get this result.

Last edited:
Wledig said:
Can I bother you a little more? I got a bit further on the deduction of the formula, but now I'm stuck at:

$$ \int \bar{dk_{A}^{z}}\delta(\sqrt{ \bar{dk_{A}^{2}}+m_{A}^{2}}+\sqrt{ \bar{dk_{B}^{2}}+m_{B}^{2}}-E_f)|_{\bar{k_{B}^{z}}=\sum p_{f}^{z}-\bar{k_{A}^{z}}} $$
$$ = \frac{1}{|\frac{\bar{k_{A}^{z}}}{\bar{E_A}}-\frac{\bar{k_{A}^{z}}}{\bar{E_B}}|}$$

Is there any property of the delta function that could lead to this? I really can't see how to get this result.
Yes, it's one of the most important relations of the ##\delta##, at least when computing cross-sections and decay widths:
$$\int \delta(f(x))dx = \sum_{x_0}\frac{1}{f'(x_0)}\int\delta(x-x_0)dx$$
where ##x_0## are all the solutions of the equation ##f(x)=0##, and ##f(x)## is a continuously diferentiable function that fullfills ##f'(x)\neq 0##.

Let me advise you that ##\delta## functions come all the time in QFT and QM, so if you are not very used to it, maybe would be a nice idea to go first into another book. Anyway, we are here to help.

Likes Wledig
Thanks again!

Gaussian97 said:
$$\int \delta(f(x))dx = \sum_{x_0}\frac{1}{f'(x_0)}\int\delta(x-x_0)dx$$
Sorry I forget an absolute value in the equation, it should be
$$\int \delta(f(x))dx = \sum_{x_0}\frac{1}{|f'(x_0)|}\int\delta(x-x_0)dx$$

1. What is the cross section formula in Peskin and Schroeder?

The cross section formula in Peskin and Schroeder is a mathematical expression that calculates the probability of a particular particle interaction occurring in a given experiment. It takes into account the energy and momentum of the particles involved, as well as any other relevant physical parameters.

2. How is the cross section formula derived?

The cross section formula is derived from quantum field theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It involves complex mathematical calculations and relies on fundamental principles such as conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What is the significance of the cross section formula in particle physics?

The cross section formula is an essential tool in particle physics as it allows scientists to make predictions about the outcome of experiments and compare them with experimental data. It also helps to validate and refine existing theories and models of particle interactions.

4. Can the cross section formula be applied to all particle interactions?

While the cross section formula is a fundamental concept in particle physics, it is not applicable to all particle interactions. It is most commonly used for high-energy processes involving elementary particles, but it may not accurately predict the behavior of more complex systems such as atoms or molecules.

5. Are there any limitations to the cross section formula?

Like any mathematical model, the cross section formula has its limitations. It assumes that the particles involved in the interaction are point-like and that the underlying physics is described by quantum field theory. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity, which is a significant factor in certain interactions.