Crude estimation of a magnetic quadrupole

In summary, the experiment was conducted to determine the radial magnetic field Br(r) produced by a magnetic dipole. The magnetic moment of the dipole was found, and the next step is to determine the contribution of the quadrupole order to the magnetic field. The ratio of BD/BQ was estimated to be 3, indicating that the dipole order contributes 3 times more to the magnetic field than the quadrupole order. The 1:6 ratio between the magnet's size and the distance from the Hall's magnetic sensor suggests that the contribution of the quadrupole order will be small.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

I ran an experiment to determine Br(r), where Br was the radial magnetic field produced by a magnetic dipole. Having found the magnetic moment of the dipole, I would now like to determine the contribution to the magnetic field of the next order in the expansion (viz. the quadrupole). I have no information on the magnetic moment itself of the quadrupole nor do I possesses any information on the current density J. I am interested in a very crude estimation, if possible. I do, however, know that the ratio (magnet's size : distance from Hall's magnetic sensor) was ~1:6, on average.

Homework Equations

See attachment. First moment is that of the dipole. Second is of the quadrupole.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formulae in the attachment, I estimated the ratio BD/BQ to be 3. Hence, the contribution of the dipole order to the magnetic field was 3 times that of the quadrupole order. I performed the estimation thus:
BD = 2*1/2*mD/R3, whereas BQ = 3/2R3 * 2 * 4/3 * mD * 1/6
It seems too small a ratio to me. Could anyone please help me determine whether this is indeed reasonable? I'd truly appreciate some prompt advice.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio you found is reasonable given the information that you have. The 1:6 ratio suggests that the magnet's size is much smaller than the distance from the Hall's magnetic sensor, which means that the contribution of the quadrupole order will be much smaller than that of the dipole order. This is reflected in your calculation, where the ratio of BD/BQ is 3.

1. What is a magnetic quadrupole?

A magnetic quadrupole is a configuration of magnetic fields that consists of two pairs of opposite magnetic poles, with each pair being equidistant from each other. This creates a quadrupole moment, which is a measure of the strength and orientation of the magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic quadrupole estimated?

A magnetic quadrupole can be estimated using the concept of magnetic moments, which is the product of the strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the poles. By measuring the magnetic moments at different points around the quadrupole, the overall strength and orientation can be determined.

3. What applications does a magnetic quadrupole have?

Magnetic quadrupoles have various applications in fields such as particle accelerators, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, and magnetic storage devices. They are also used in scientific research to study the behavior of atoms and molecules in magnetic fields.

4. How accurate is the crude estimation of a magnetic quadrupole?

The accuracy of the crude estimation of a magnetic quadrupole depends on the precision of the measurements and the assumptions made in the estimation process. In general, it provides a good approximation of the overall strength and orientation of the magnetic field, but more sophisticated techniques may be needed for more precise measurements.

5. Are there any limitations to the crude estimation of a magnetic quadrupole?

Yes, there are limitations to the crude estimation of a magnetic quadrupole. One limitation is that it assumes a perfectly symmetrical configuration of magnetic fields, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the estimation may be affected by external factors such as magnetic interference from other sources.