In summary, the book uses the relation $$\oint (\mathbf{\hat{r}} \cdot \mathbf{r'} )d\mathbf{l'}=-\mathbf{\hat{r}} \times \int d\mathbf{a'}$$ to derive the magnetic dipole formula from the multipole expansion of the vector potential for a current loop. This relation is based on the identity (1.108) in the text, which states that for any constant ##\mathbf c##, $$\oint \left(\mathbf c \cdot \mathbf r' \right) d\mathbf l' = \mathbf a \times \mathbf c$$.
WeiShan Ng

Homework Statement

This is from Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics, where the book is deriving the magnetic dipole moment from multipole expansion of the vector potential
pic.png

The vector potential of a current loop can be written as
$$\mathbf{A(r)}=\frac{\mu_0 I}{4\pi} \left[ \frac{1}{r} \oint d\mathbf{l'} + \frac{1}{r^2} \oint r' \cos \alpha d\mathbf{l'} + \frac{1}{r^3} \oint (r')^2 \left( \frac{3}{2} \cos^2 \alpha - \frac{1}{2} \right) d\mathbf{l'} + \dots \right]$$
and the dipole is
$$\mathbf{A}_{dip}(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{\mu_o I}{4\pi r^2} \oint r' \cos \alpha d\mathbf{l'} = \frac{\mu_o I}{4\pi r^2} \oint (\mathbf{\hat{r}} \cdot \mathbf{r'} ) d\mathbf{l'}$$
The book then use the relation
$$\oint (\mathbf{\hat{r}} \cdot \mathbf{r'} )d\mathbf{l'}=-\mathbf{\hat{r}} \times \int d\mathbf{a'}$$
to get the magnetic dipole formula
$$\mathbf{A}_{dip} (\mathbf{r}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{\mathbf{m}\times \mathbf{\hat{r}}}{r^2}$$
where
$$\mathbf{m} \equiv I\int d\mathbf{a} = I \mathbf{a}$$

The problem is, I just couldn't figure out where we get the relation
$$\oint (\mathbf{\hat{r}} \cdot \mathbf{r'} )d\mathbf{l'}=-\mathbf{\hat{r}} \times \int d\mathbf{a'}$$ from? Can someone please shed some light on this? Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,310
Physics news on Phys.org
WeiShan Ng said:
The problem is, I just couldn't figure out where we get the relation
$$\oint (\mathbf{\hat{r}} \cdot \mathbf{r'} )d\mathbf{l'}=-\mathbf{\hat{r}} \times \int d\mathbf{a'}$$
Griffiths suggests using the identity (1.108) of the text which says that for any constant ##\mathbf c##, $$\oint \left(\mathbf c \cdot \mathbf r' \right) d\mathbf l' = \mathbf a \times \mathbf c $$ Griffths says to use this identity with ##\mathbf c = \hat{\mathbf r}##.

Last edited:
Likes WeiShan Ng

1. What is multipole expansion?

Multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to describe the behavior of a system in terms of multiple point sources. In the context of electromagnetism, it is used to represent the magnetic field of an object as a sum of different types of magnetic moments.

2. How is magnetic dipole moment derived from multipole expansion?

The magnetic dipole moment is derived from the first term in the multipole expansion, known as the monopole term. This term represents the overall strength of the magnetic field and can be calculated using the total current passing through the system and the distance from the center of the system.

3. What is the significance of magnetic dipole moment?

The magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field generated by an object. It is an important concept in electromagnetism and is used to understand the behavior of magnets, electric currents, and other magnetic materials.

4. Can the magnetic dipole moment be negative?

Yes, the magnetic dipole moment can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the magnetic field is opposite to that of the current flow. In other words, the magnetic field is pointing in the opposite direction to what is conventionally considered the positive direction.

5. How is the multipole expansion used in practical applications?

The multipole expansion is used in many practical applications, including the design of magnetic materials and devices such as electric motors and generators. It is also used in the study of the Earth's magnetic field and in medical imaging techniques such as MRI.