Crush weight for aluminum ladder rails

In summary, the individual is considering using Werner Aluminum ladders as a surface to move a heavy object across a lawn. The plan is to lay plywood on the ground and use two ladder sections as tracks, with a pipe roller system to move the object. There is a concern about the weight capacity of the aluminum rails and it is suggested to use a carpet instead. The question is better suited for tow truck operators and salvage ringers than engineers.
xpnstos
I am wanting to use some Werner Aluminum ladders as a surface to skid a refrigerator-sized object that weighs around 1500 lbs. across a lawn. The plan is to lay some 3/4 ply down on the ground creating a surface, then lay two ladder sections side by side & equal distance apart as "tracks" where I want to move the object using a pipe roller system to get this where I want to go. Will the aluminum rails hold 1500 pounds moving across them?

Engineering news on Phys.org
xpnstos said:
using a pipe roller system
You mean, laying cylindrical pipes across the rails to act as rollers? That would conentrate the weight onto the narrow area of contact between the pipes and the rails. You might be better off laying a carpet on the rails and dragging that along.

That's a good question for tow truck operators and salvage ringers. It is less good for scientists and engineers. A ME could calculate the crush weight if pressed, but it's less likely to guess this practical answer than the experienced tradesman.

An engineer can calculate how hard to hit the nail. The carpenter just does it.

What is crush weight for aluminum ladder rails?

Crush weight for aluminum ladder rails is the maximum weight that can be placed on the rails without causing permanent deformation or damage.

Why is crush weight important for aluminum ladder rails?

Crush weight is important because exceeding the recommended weight limit can compromise the structural integrity of the ladder, leading to potential safety hazards.

How is crush weight determined for aluminum ladder rails?

Crush weight is determined through testing and analysis by manufacturers, taking into account the material, design, and intended use of the ladder rails.

What is the typical crush weight for aluminum ladder rails?

The typical crush weight for aluminum ladder rails can vary depending on the specific ladder, but it is typically in the range of 250-300 pounds for a standard 2-3 step ladder.

What happens if the crush weight for aluminum ladder rails is exceeded?

If the crush weight is exceeded, the ladder rails may bend or break, posing a serious safety risk to the user. It is important to always follow the recommended weight limit for ladders.