Center of earth Work problem (some calculus)

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of work and how it relates to the force of attraction on an object below Earth's surface. The conversation also included a calculation of the work done in moving a weight of ##w## lb located ##a## miles below Earth's surface up to the surface itself, using both the force equation and the kinetic energy equation. The conversation concluded with a discussion about the usefulness of defining an "absolute version" of work and how the concept of work and energy can provide an easier way to analyze a problem.
Sammbuch

Homework Statement

The force of attraction on an object below Earth's surface is directly proportional to it's distance from Earth's center.Find the work done in moving a weight of ##w## lb located ##a## miles below Earth's surface up to the surface itself. Assume Earth's radius is a constant r miles.

Homework Equations

##F = k*x##

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like someone to check this over. The work I have done so far (no pun intended). We are given that the force in magnitude is proportional to the distance, or ##F = k*x## where ##x## is the distance from the center of Earth to the object. Now the question is a little confusing, how to find k. I think we can assume they mean at the surface of Earth it weighs ##w ## lbs, therefore ##w = k* r## and ##k = w/r##, where ##r## is the radius of earth. We want the work for ##a## miles below the surface of earth.

We have the integral:
##Work=\int\limits_{r-a}^{r}\frac{w}{r}xdx= \frac{w(2ar-a^2)}{2r}##

This does not agree with book answer
##\frac{w}{2}(2ar-a^2)##

What did I do wrong?

Also as a check if this makes sense, I found the total work to move a mass of weight w lbs from the center of the Earth to the surface of the Earth is :
##\int\limits_{0}^{r}\frac{w}{r}xdx= \frac {1}{2}wr##

This implies if you drilled a tunnel through the surface of the Earth all the way to the opposite surface and dropped an object of weight w lbs, what would be the work done on the mass? ##2*1/2wr= wr##, where r is the radius of earth.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks correct to me. Note that the book's answer does not have the correct dimensions for work.

For your tunnel example, does the work for the first half of the trip (from surface to center) have the same sign as the second half (from center to surface at other side)?

Likes Sammbuch
that makes sense, dimensional analysis gives me ##mi*lb## or ##ft*lb## by multiplying by 5280.

As for your second reply does negative work make sense, i guess it does if you account for direction and choose up as positive.
If you allow for negative work, then the work should come out to zero?

But maybe there is an absolute version of total work, like we have total distance versus displacement. Then it will be twice the amount of work.

Last edited:
Work has the dimensions of force times distance.

If an object moves in the same direction as the direction of the force, then the work is positive. If it moves in a direction opposite of the direction of the force, then the work is negative.

I don't think there is any usefulness in defining an "absolute version" of work. Work is defined so that the net work done on a particle is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the particle. When you drop a particle into the tunnel, what is the overall change in kinetic energy from the initial drop point to the point at the surface on the other side of the earth? You want the total work to equal this change in kinetic energy energy.

ok so finding the net work using the gravity approach should come out to the same answer using the kinetic energy approach.
So you will have
##\int\limits_{-r}^{r}\frac{w}{r}xdx =0##
and the kinetic energy will be the same 0 speed at top and bottom ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2## gives us zero when initial velocity is zero.
i think kinetic energy always has to be positive.

Yes, kinetic energy is never negative. But, change in kinetic energy can be negative.

that makes sense

Last edited:
It is interesting that you can find the total or net work done using the much easier kinetic energy approach.
Due to total energy being conserved, it's like a yo yo (harmonic oscillator). The mass starts at speed of zero, and accelerates as it goes down the tunnel because the Earth is pulling on it, and reaches a maximum speed at the center of the earth. Then the speed slows down as it goes to the other opposite surface of the earth, until it reaches zero speed.

Last edited:
Yes. You will learn that work and energy are powerful concepts that often provide an easier way to analyze a problem compared to using force and acceleration.

What is the "center of earth Work problem" in calculus?

The "center of earth Work problem" is a type of calculus problem that involves determining the location of the center of mass of a solid object or system. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of objects and systems under the influence of different forces.

What is the formula for calculating the center of mass using calculus?

The formula for calculating the center of mass using calculus is:

x̄ = ∫ xρ(x)dx / ∫ ρ(x)dx

where x̄ is the x-coordinate of the center of mass, x is the variable representing the position, and ρ(x) is the density function.

What information is needed to solve a "center of earth Work problem" using calculus?

To solve a "center of earth Work problem" using calculus, you will need to know the shape and dimensions of the object or system, the distribution of mass within the object or system, and the forces acting on the object or system.

How is the center of mass related to the stability of an object or system?

The center of mass is an important factor in determining the stability of an object or system. If the center of mass is located above the base of support, the object or system will be stable. If the center of mass is located outside the base of support, the object or system will be unstable and may topple over.

What are some real-world applications of "center of earth Work problems" in calculus?

"Center of earth Work problems" have many real-world applications, including calculating the center of mass of buildings and structures, determining the stability of bridges and other engineering projects, and analyzing the flight patterns of aircraft. They are also used in fields such as astronomy, where they can help determine the center of mass of celestial bodies.