Cryptography Topics: Electronic Voting, Lattice Reduction | Recommendation

In summary: So if you are interested in homomorphic encryption, I would recommend studying both of these topics. In summary, the topics of electronic voting systems and lattices and lattice reduction are both related to Homomorphic encryption. The Paillier encryption scheme is used in electronic voting, while lattice based cryptosystems have recently taken a new turn with the construction of the first fully homomorphic encryption scheme by Craig Gentry. Both topics would be relevant to study for someone interested in homomorphic encryption.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am taking the course cryptography this semester and I will have a presentation at the end of the semester.

Could you give me some information about the following topics:
- An electronic voting system
- Lattices and lattice reduction

What are these topics about??

Which one would you recommend me??

Technology news on Phys.org
Also posted here: http://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/25140/topics-in-cryptography

(this isn't a bad thing, I'm just mentioning it so that future visitors can get to look at both links if they are interested in this thread)

mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I am taking the course cryptography this semester and I will have a presentation at the end of the semester.

Could you give me some information about the following topics:
- An electronic voting system
- Lattices and lattice reduction

What are these topics about??

Which one would you recommend me??

Hi mathmari,

I haven't studies any of these topics in detail, but from what I know both of these topics are tied to Homomorphic encryptions. For example the Paillier encryption scheme is used in electronic voting and lattice based cryptosystems took a new turn with the recent construction by Craig Gentry. This paper was the first fully homomorphic encryption scheme (which basically means it's homomorphic with respect to both addition and multiplication) and it uses a lattice based construction.

1. What is cryptography and why is it important in electronic voting?

Cryptography is the practice and study of techniques used to secure communication and data from third parties. In electronic voting, cryptography is important because it ensures that votes are kept confidential and cannot be tampered with, ensuring the integrity of the voting process.

2. How does lattice reduction work in cryptography?

Lattice reduction is a mathematical algorithm used in cryptography to solve certain problems related to integer lattices. It is used in various cryptographic systems, such as public key encryption and digital signatures, to make them more secure and resistant to attacks.

3. Can cryptography completely eliminate the possibility of election fraud in electronic voting?

No, cryptography alone cannot completely eliminate the possibility of election fraud in electronic voting. While it can greatly reduce the risk of tampering with votes, other measures such as proper monitoring and auditing are also necessary to ensure the integrity of the voting process.

4. What is the role of recommendation in cryptography?

Recommendation in cryptography refers to the process of evaluating and choosing the most suitable cryptographic algorithms and protocols to use in a particular system. This is important because not all algorithms are equally secure and some may be more suitable for specific applications than others.

5. Is it possible for electronic voting systems to use multiple layers of cryptography for added security?

Yes, it is possible for electronic voting systems to use multiple layers of cryptography for added security. This approach, known as "multiple encryption," involves using different cryptographic algorithms or protocols one after another to make it extremely difficult for an attacker to break the encryption and tamper with votes.