Crystal momentum in a lattice.

In summary, increasing the crystal momentum by a reciprocal lattice vector does not change the wave function, even though the spatial frequency of the wave changes. This is due to the periodic nature of the wave function, which is the product of a periodic function and an exponential function. The wave vector serves as a label for the wave function and does not have physical meaning, while the product of the wave function and its complex conjugate has physical significance. In the "empty" crystal, the wave function is a simple wave and adding a reciprocal lattice vector to the wave vector will result in a new band. However, the wave function can still remain unchanged by altering the periodic function. This is known as Umklapp scattering and occurs when an electron is Br
emily1986
Background information:
The wave function for an electron in a crystal lattice is modeled by a Bloch wave. A Bloch wave is a function with the periodicity of the lattice multiplied times a complex exponential function. This exponential function has a wave vector k, called the crystal momentum, which can have any value. To my knowledge this k independent of the configuration of the lattice. Assume the potential of the atoms in the lattice are weak. If we take the potential to zero, the piece of the Bloch wave that holds the lattice periodicity disappears and we are left with the exponential (i.e. a plane wave).

Question:
Increasing the value of the crystal momentum by a reciprocal lattice vector does not change the wave function. But obviously, a function modulated by e^(i⋅16⋅π⋅r) would be much different than a function modulated by e^(i⋅2⋅π⋅r). The spatial frequency of the former is much higher. How could this not make a difference? I know it has something to do with breaking of symmetry, and a Bloch wave not being an eigenstate of the momentum operator. Perhaps the wavefunction is only sampled periodically so it doesn't make a difference? I'd like to see the mathematical justification, but couldn't find a clear explanation in Ashcroft or on the web. I'm mostly interested in how two functions with a different crystal momentum could mathematically be the same. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
emily1986 said:
Question:
Increasing the value of the crystal momentum by a reciprocal lattice vector does not change the wave function. But obviously, a function modulated by e^(i⋅16⋅π⋅r) would be much different than a function modulated by e^(i⋅2⋅π⋅r). The spatial frequency of the former is much higher. How could this not make a difference?

Perhaps the wavefunction is only sampled periodically so it doesn't make a difference? I'd like to see the mathematical justification, but couldn't find a clear explanation in Ashcroft or on the web. I'm mostly interested in how two functions with a different crystal momentum could mathematically be the same.

The crystal is periodic with the lattice vector, so you get the same situation if you shift the origin by a lattice vector a. The wavefunction has to be periodic, too, it is the same at x and at x+a.
In the "empty" crystal, the wavefunctions are simple waves in the form ψ=ei(kx-ωt) (in one-dimensional case). It does not change if you add integer multiple of 2pi/a to the wave vector.
But the frequency and the wavevector are related, and adding a reciprocal-lattice vector to k will change the angular frequency, producing a new band.

ehild said:
The crystal is periodic with the lattice vector, so you get the same situation if you shift the origin by a lattice vector a. The wavefunction has to be periodic, too, it is the same at x and at x+a.

According to my understanding, the wave function is periodic, but does not have the same periodicity as the lattice. For example take a look at this one dimensional example.
400px-Bloch_function.jpg

The wave function is not the same at x and x+a, correct? The modulation of the exponential term screws up the periodicity. If we imagined a wave function with a larger value of k, we'd see a higher frequency of modulation. Yet it would still be physically the same, but why?

You are right, I mixed things. The wavefunction in its Bloch form is the product of a periodic function U(x) and the wave part eikx. According to the periodic boundary condition, the wavefunction is periodic with L, the size of the crystal, which is the number of the cells N multiplied by the lattice parameter, a. This condition gives the allowed values of k= 2pi/a (n/N). n is integer.The wave vector is a "label" of the wave function, and the energies depend on it. The wavefunction itself has no physical meaning. Physically ψψ* has meaning, and it is the same everywhere in the "empty" crystal.The wave factor cancels. It does not matter how many ripples you get between the lattice points.

Last edited:
In the link I gave, I should have specified more clearly to look at the following picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_...iewer/File:1D-Empty-Lattice-Approximation.svg
You can clearly recognize the free electron parabolas, however, there exist shifted copies centered in each Brillouin zone. If you switch on an interaction, the parabolas will cease to be parabolas and the degeneracy points on the boundaries of the BZ will be lifted as a band gap forms. If the interaction is small, if an electron is accelerated and crosses the band gap, it will jump from the lower to the upper band (which corresponds to the motion of the free particle), but with increasing band gap, the electron will stay on the lower band. We speak of Umklapp (from German "flip over") scattering as the electron gets Bragg scattered from the lattice, transferring momentum to the lattice.

emily1986 said:
If we imagined a wave function with a larger value of k, we'd see a higher frequency of modulation.
Not necessarily. Let's say you start from a Bloch wave is of the form ##\exp(ikx)u(x)##. If you increase k to k+G, then ## \psi=\exp( ikx +iGx)(x)## where ## u## has the periodicity of the lattice. However in the case of an empty lattice the u are of the form ##u=\exp(iG'x)##. So you can find another wavefunction with a different function u' and ##G'=-G##, so that the wavefunction will remain unchanged.

What is crystal momentum?

Crystal momentum is a concept in condensed matter physics that describes the momentum of a particle within a periodic lattice. It takes into account both the linear momentum and the periodicity of the lattice, and is often used to describe the motion of electrons in a solid.

How is crystal momentum related to Bloch's theorem?

Bloch's theorem states that the wavefunction of an electron in a periodic potential can be written as a product of a plane wave and a periodic function. The crystal momentum is the wavevector of the plane wave component of the wavefunction, and it determines the periodicity of the wavefunction in the lattice.

What is the significance of crystal momentum in band structure calculations?

In band structure calculations, the energy levels of electrons in a solid are calculated by considering the periodic potential of the lattice. The crystal momentum is used to label the different energy levels and to determine the shape and spacing of the energy bands. It is an important quantity in understanding the electronic properties of materials.

How does crystal momentum affect the electronic properties of materials?

The crystal momentum affects the electronic properties of materials in various ways. It determines the allowed energy states for electrons in a solid, and thus plays a crucial role in determining the electrical conductivity and other electronic properties. It also affects the scattering of electrons, which can impact the thermal and optical properties of a material.

Can crystal momentum be measured experimentally?

Yes, crystal momentum can be indirectly measured through various techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and electron diffraction. These methods can provide information about the band structure and energy levels of electrons in a solid, which are related to the crystal momentum.