Bloch Waves within Tight Binding Approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between applying Bloch's theorem to wavefunctions in the tight binding approximation versus using a continuous plane wave. While both satisfy Bloch's theorem, they can lead to different physical interpretations and the density of the system may depend on the choice of origin. The speaker is seeking clarification on whether this difference is significant or not. An example of a one-dimensional chain of hydrogen atoms is given to illustrate the concept.
James J
So I thought I understood something well, and then I went to explain it to someone and it turns out I'm missing something, and I'd appreciate any insight you might have.
If I think about Bloch's theorem, it states that
ψk(r)=eik⋅ruk(r) where uk has the periodicity of the lattice. If u is independent of wavevector, well then I'm just multiplying some function by a plane wave. Great. The density, which is a physical observable, then is independent of k and each unit cell has the same density ρ(r).

Within the tight binding approximation, however, one typically applies that phase factor discretely to orbitals inside each unit cell. For a single orbital per unit cell, φ, one might write the wave function as ψTB=∑m eikRmφ(r-Rm)

This is distinct from multiplying the sum by a continuous plane wave (ψ=eik⋅Rmφ(r-Rm)) as it introduces nodes in the density ρ(r), and makes the density depend on the choice of origin. Both of these satisfy Bloch's theorem, but they seem physically different. I understand if I work through a simple band structure how ψTB(k) has some advantages for calculating band structures, but am I getting hung up on something unphysical, wrong, trivial, or subtly relevant?

Thanks for any insight,
James

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe a simple example helps here: Think of a one dimensional chain of e.g. hydrogen atoms. You can write down the Bloch wavefunctions immediately. Now you can also chose the lattice constant twice as large as the distance of the atoms. Then the basis will contain two atoms. The wavefunction does not change, only the interpretation. You see that the second atom will be out of phase relative to the first one by exp(ika).

1. What are Bloch Waves?

Bloch waves are a type of wave function used to describe the behavior of electrons in a crystalline solid. They are solutions to the Schrödinger equation and describe the periodicity of the crystal lattice.

2. What is the Tight Binding Approximation?

The Tight Binding Approximation is a method used to describe the electronic structure of a solid by approximating the wave function as a linear combination of atomic orbitals. This approximation is useful for understanding the behavior of electrons in a crystal, especially in the presence of a periodic potential.

3. How are Bloch Waves related to the Tight Binding Approximation?

Bloch waves can be described using the Tight Binding Approximation because the periodic potential in a crystal can be approximated as a sum of potential wells from each atom. This allows the wave function to be written as a linear combination of atomic orbitals, which can then be used to calculate the energy and other properties of the electron.

4. What is the significance of Bloch Waves within Tight Binding Approximation?

Bloch waves within Tight Binding Approximation are significant because they provide a useful tool for understanding the electronic properties of crystalline solids. They can help predict the behavior of electrons in a crystal, such as their energy levels and transport properties, which are important for many applications in materials science and device engineering.

5. What are the limitations of Bloch Waves within Tight Binding Approximation?

While the Tight Binding Approximation is a useful tool for understanding the electronic structure of crystals, it is limited by its simplicity. It does not account for all the interactions between electrons and the crystal lattice, and therefore may not accurately predict the behavior of electrons in all cases. Additionally, it may not be suitable for describing more complex systems, such as alloys or disordered materials.