Crystal Thickness for particular phase difference

In summary, the question is asking for the thickness of a crystal that will cause two light waves to exit with a 90 degree phase difference. By using the refractive indices of the waves and their wavelengths, the number of wavelengths in the thickness of the crystal is found to be a quarter more than the first wave. By assuming equal frequencies, the final distance is calculated to be approximately 14.7μm.
Sekonda
1. Hey, the question I believe should be fairly simple to solve but it's been a while since I've looked over such content. There are two light waves that enter a crytstal at the same time, one linearly polarised parallel to the optic axis and one perpendicular to the optic axis, they have refractive indices η(1)=1.55 and η(2)=1.54. How thick must the crystal be for the light waves to exit with a 90 degree phase difference?

2. η=c/v

3. Right, so considering they have to have a phase difference of 90 degrees - that corresponds to a difference in quarter of a wavelength, so the amount of wavelengths in the thickness of the crystal must differ by just a quarter more i.e.

[tex]d=n\lambda_{1}=(n+\frac{1}{4})\lambda_{2}[/tex]

Where 'd' is the thickness of the crystal, the number of wavelengths 'n' can be determined from

[tex]n=\frac{\frac{1}{4}\lambda_{2}}{\lambda_{1}-\lambda_{2}}=\frac{1}{4}\frac{\lambda_{2}}{\Delta \lambda}=\frac{1}{4}\frac{\eta _{1}}{\Delta\eta}[/tex]

The last step I think we assume that the frequencies of the waves are the same... I can't remember how the last step is made unless we assume the frequencies of the waves are equal... Anyway, once 'n' is found we can substitute it into the first equation but I'm not sure how I find the final distance... I'll take another look at it.

Thanks SK

Physics news on Phys.org
... We are told the wavelengths of the waves (in the vacuum) are both 589nm... Still, is this the correct way to approach the question?

I get an answer of about 14.7μm=d

Last edited:
Sekonda said:
... We are told the wavelengths of the waves (in the vacuum) are both 589nm... Still, is this the correct way to approach the question?

I get an answer of about 14.7μm=d

Me too.

Related to Crystal Thickness for particular phase difference

1. How does crystal thickness affect the phase difference?

The crystal thickness is directly related to the phase difference between two light waves passing through it. As the thickness of the crystal increases, the phase difference also increases.

2. What is the optimal crystal thickness for a specific phase difference?

The optimal crystal thickness for a specific phase difference depends on the properties of the crystal, such as its refractive index and birefringence. It is typically calculated using mathematical equations or experimentally determined.

3. Can the crystal thickness be adjusted to achieve a desired phase difference?

Yes, the crystal thickness can be adjusted to achieve a desired phase difference. This can be done by changing the angle of incidence of the light waves or by using a crystal with a specific thickness that corresponds to the desired phase difference.

4. Is there a limit to how thick a crystal can be for a specific phase difference?

Yes, there is a limit to how thick a crystal can be for a specific phase difference. This is known as the crystal's coherence length and it is determined by its optical properties and the wavelength of the light passing through it.

5. How does the crystal thickness affect the overall performance of optical devices?

The crystal thickness plays a critical role in the performance of optical devices as it directly impacts the phase difference and polarization of light passing through it. An incorrect crystal thickness can result in inaccurate measurements or distorted images in the device.