S-wave phase shift for quantum mechanical scattering

In summary, the spherically symmetric potential energy with a Dirac delta function at ##r=a## can be described by the equation $$\frac {2\mu V\left( r \right)} {\hbar^2} = \gamma \delta \left(r-a \right)$$. The resulting S-wave phase shift is given by the equation $$\tan \left( ka + \delta_0 \right) = \frac {\tan ka} {1+\left( \frac \gamma k \right) \tan ka}$$ and in the low-energy limit, the total cross section for S-wave scattering is approximately $$\sigma \cong 4\pi a^2 \left( \frac {\gamma
EightBells
Homework Statement
Consider the spherically symmetric potential energy $$\frac {2\mu V\left( r \right)} {\hbar^2} = \gamma \delta \left(r-a \right)$$ where ##\gamma## is a constant and ##\delta \left( r-a \right)## is a Dirac delta function that vanishes everywhere except on the spherical surface specified by ##r=a##.
a.) Show that the S-wave phase shift ##\delta_0## for scattering from this potential satisfies the equation $$\tan \left( ka + \delta_0 \right) = \frac {\tan ka} {1+\left( \frac \gamma k \right) \tan ka}$$
b.) Evaluate the phase shift in the low-energy limit and show that the total cross section for S-wave scattering is $$ \sigma \cong 4\pi a^2 \left( \frac {\gamma a} {1+\gamma a} \right)^2$$
Relevant Equations
$$\tan \left( ka + \delta_0 \right) = \frac {\tan ka} {1+\left( \frac \gamma k \right) \tan ka}$$
$$k = \sqrt{\frac {2mE} {\hbar^2}}$$
a.) The potential is a delta function, so ##V \left( r \right) = \frac {\hbar^2} {2\mu} \gamma \delta \left(r-a \right)##, therefore ##V \left( r \right) = \frac {\hbar^2} {2\mu} \gamma ## at ##r=a##, and ##V \left( r \right) = 0## otherwise. I've tried a few different approaches:

1.) In examples of hard sphere scattering which are easy to find online, the equation ##\frac {-\hbar^2} {2m} \frac {d^2 u \left(r \right)} {dr^2} = Eu\left( r \right)## is used for outside the hard sphere, ##r \gt a##. I'm not sure how this would apply to a delta function potential however, so I got stuck using this approach.

2.)I found that for a spherically symmetric potential, the incoming and outgoing waves would accumulate the phase difference ##e^{i\delta_l}##. So for ##\Psi_1 = Ae^{ikr}+Be^{-ikr}## describing the left side of the potential (##r \lt a##) and ##\Psi_2 = Ce^{ikr}##, I could try to use the boundary conditions (not sure what they would be though, maybe ##\Psi_1 \left(a \right) = \Psi_2 \left( a \right)## and ##\Psi_1' \left( a \right) = \Psi_2' \left( a \right)## ?) to solve for the phase difference by looking at the ratio of coefficients, maybe ##A/B## or ##A/C##?

3.) I also found an equation ##a_l \left(k \right) = \frac {e^{i\delta_l}} k \sin \delta_l ## where ##a_l \left(k \right)## is a coefficient that depends on the value of the energy. I'm not sure how to determine that coefficient, so this was a dead end too.

b.) I've seen the equation ##\sigma = \frac {4\pi} {k^2} \sin^2 \delta_0##, so if this is the right equation I could just plug in ##\delta_0## once I've found it in part a, and check that it matches the solution given in the problem? Does this address the low-energy limit as specified in the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
EightBells said:
1.) In examples of hard sphere scattering which are easy to find online, the equation ##\frac {-\hbar^2} {2m} \frac {d^2 u \left(r \right)} {dr^2} = Eu\left( r \right)## is used for outside the hard sphere, ##r \gt a##. I'm not sure how this would apply to a delta function potential however, so I got stuck using this approach.
This is the right approach.

What would be the solution ##u(r)## if there was no potential? What do you expect to find for ##u(r \gg a)##?

Likes nrqed
EightBells said:
Homework Statement:: Consider the spherically symmetric potential energy $$\frac {2\mu V\left( r \right)} {\hbar^2} = \gamma \delta \left(r-a \right)$$ where ##\gamma## is a constant and ##\delta \left( r-a \right)## is a Dirac delta function that vanishes everywhere except on the spherical surface specified by ##r=a##.
a.) Show that the S-wave phase shift ##\delta_0## for scattering from this potential satisfies the equation $$\tan \left( ka + \delta_0 \right) = \frac {\tan ka} {1+\left( \frac \gamma k \right) \tan ka}$$
b.) Evaluate the phase shift in the low-energy limit and show that the total cross section for S-wave scattering is $$ \sigma \cong 4\pi a^2 \left( \frac {\gamma a} {1+\gamma a} \right)^2$$
Relevant Equations:: $$\tan \left( ka + \delta_0 \right) = \frac {\tan ka} {1+\left( \frac \gamma k \right) \tan ka}$$
$$k = \sqrt{\frac {2mE} {\hbar^2}}$$

a.) The potential is a delta function, so ##V \left( r \right) = \frac {\hbar^2} {2\mu} \gamma \delta \left(r-a \right)##, therefore ##V \left( r \right) = \frac {\hbar^2} {2\mu} \gamma ## at ##r=a##, and ##V \left( r \right) = 0## otherwise.
To add to DrClaude's useful hints, note that what you wrote in the last line is incorrect, ##V## is not ##\frac {\hbar^2} {2\mu} \gamma ## at ##r=a##. Have you worked with matching wavefunctions when there is a Dirac delta as boundary condition? The matching is different from usual for the derivative of the wavefunction.
Also, it looks like you think about wavefunctions on a real line (you talk about being on the `"right" or "left" of ##r=a##, here we are working along the radial direction, so you have to be careful about that, in particular the condition at ##r=0##.

Likes DrClaude

1. What is an S-wave phase shift?

An S-wave phase shift is a measure of the change in the phase of a quantum mechanical wave function when it is scattered by a potential. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter delta (δ) and is related to the scattering angle and the properties of the potential.

2. How is the S-wave phase shift calculated?

The S-wave phase shift is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the wave function of the scattered particle in the presence of a potential. The phase shift is then determined by comparing the wave function before and after the scattering event.

3. What is the significance of the S-wave phase shift in quantum mechanics?

The S-wave phase shift is an important quantity in quantum mechanics as it provides information about the scattering process and the properties of the potential. It can also be used to calculate other quantities such as the scattering cross section and the scattering amplitude.

4. How does the S-wave phase shift affect the behavior of particles?

The S-wave phase shift can affect the behavior of particles by altering their trajectories and changing the probability of certain scattering events. It can also influence the energy levels of the particles and determine whether they are bound or unbound in the potential.

5. Can the S-wave phase shift be experimentally measured?

Yes, the S-wave phase shift can be experimentally measured using techniques such as scattering experiments or spectroscopy. By analyzing the resulting data, the phase shift can be determined and compared to theoretical predictions, providing insight into the properties of the potential and the behavior of particles in quantum mechanical scattering.