CSA of cable for Motor with VSD

In summary, the speaker is discussing their use of ELEK Cable Pro for calculating cable sizes and their current project involving an 18.5kw 400v motor. They are using the load, voltage, efficiency, power factor, voltage drop, cable length, earthing, correction factor, protective device type, installation, and cable type to make their calculations. However, they are unsure of the correct circuit arrangement to use as their motor is using a variable speed drive, which is not an option in the software. They are seeking advice on which circuit arrangement to choose and what size cable to use, with the speaker suggesting a 10mm cable for the Motor Star-Delta option. They also mention the importance of considering the MCB
Load Balance
I normally use ELEK Cable Pro to calculate my cable sizes and it works very well however I have a project at the moment which has a circuit which I need help calculating the correct size cable for;The circuit is for an 18.5kw 400v motor. I have used the following

Load – 18.5kw

V- 400v

Efficiency – 90%

PF – 0.95

Voltage Drop – 5%

Cable Length – 50mtr

Earthing – TN-C-S

Correction factor – 0.9

Protective device type B 40A

Installation – In cable duct

Cable Type – 4 core armoured XLPE
My problem is that the software gives the option of 5 different circuit arrangements

1. Radial

2. Sub Mains

3. Ring

4. Motor DOL

5. Motor Star-Delta
My motor is using a variable speed drive, which isn’t an option. If I use the software and select DOL then it tells me 16mm cable but any of the other options gives me 10mm.

In my experience I would think 6mm would be ok if the MCB had been a Type C 32A but I didn’t supply the panel and it is a 40A B type which I am stuck with.

Can anyone advise?

I would think if I select Motor star-delta in the software and use a 10mm cable then my cable report would be okay and I would be covered?

Engineering news on Phys.org
1)If the MCB it is for overload protection the Iz[cable carrying capacity]of the cable has not to be more than MCB In[rated].So, the cable has to withstand at least 40 A.

In my opinion, the installation method [BS 7671 Table 4A2 pos.70] has to be D.

According to Table 4E4A column 7 for 20oC Earth and 2.5 K.m/W resistivity 4*10 mm^2 XLPE insulated copper conductors Iz=58 A. If the correction factor-for other Earth resistivity and/or other temperature [more than 20oC] is 0.9 then Iz= 52.2 A.

2) According to Table 4E4B column 4 the voltage drop will be 4 [mV/A/m].

If the motor starting method will be D.O.L. the Istart/In= 6-8 and the voltage drop for 4*10 copper will be 9.5-12.5%.

However, if VSD-variable speed drive- is actually VFD[variable frequency drive] then Istart/In =<1.5.then the voltage drop will be only 2.34%.

Babadag said:
1)If the MCB it is for overload protection the Iz[cable carrying capacity]of the cable has not to be more than MCB In[rated].So, the cable has to withstand at least 40 A.

In my opinion, the installation method [BS 7671 Table 4A2 pos.70] has to be D.

According to Table 4E4A column 7 for 20oC Earth and 2.5 K.m/W resistivity 4*10 mm^2 XLPE insulated copper conductors Iz=58 A. If the correction factor-for other Earth resistivity and/or other temperature [more than 20oC] is 0.9 then Iz= 52.2 A.

2) According to Table 4E4B column 4 the voltage drop will be 4 [mV/A/m].

If the motor starting method will be D.O.L. the Istart/In= 6-8 and the voltage drop for 4*10 copper will be 9.5-12.5%.

However, if VSD-variable speed drive- is actually VFD[variable frequency drive] then Istart/In =<1.5.then the voltage drop will be only 2.34%.
Iz[cable carrying capacity]of the cable has not to be more than MCB In has to be "not less" instead of " more" of course!:blushing:

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/csa-of-cable-for-motor-with-vsd.884052/

What is CSA of cable for Motor with VSD?

The CSA (cross-sectional area) of a cable for a motor with VSD (variable speed drive) refers to the diameter of the cable's conductor. It is an important factor to consider when selecting a cable for a motor with VSD, as it affects the cable's ability to carry the necessary amount of current.

How is the CSA of cable for Motor with VSD calculated?

The CSA of a cable for Motor with VSD is calculated by considering the rated current of the motor, the length of the cable, and the type of insulation and conductor material being used. The CSA is typically measured in square millimeters (mm²) or American Wire Gauge (AWG) for smaller cables.

Why is the CSA of cable for Motor with VSD important?

The CSA of a cable for Motor with VSD is important because it determines the amount of current that the cable can safely carry without overheating. If the CSA is too small, the cable may overheat and potentially cause damage to the motor or other components. On the other hand, if the CSA is too large, it may result in unnecessary costs and inefficiencies.

What factors can affect the CSA of cable for Motor with VSD?

Several factors can affect the CSA of cable for Motor with VSD, including the motor's rated current, the length of the cable, the ambient temperature, and the type of insulation and conductor material being used. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining the appropriate CSA for a cable.

How can I determine the correct CSA of cable for my Motor with VSD?

The best way to determine the correct CSA of cable for your Motor with VSD is to consult with a qualified engineer or refer to the manufacturer's recommendations. They will take into account all of the necessary factors and provide you with the appropriate CSA for your specific motor and VSD setup.