Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CSA of cable for Motor with VSD

1. Sep 3, 2016 #1
    I normally use ELEK Cable Pro to calculate my cable sizes and it works very well however I have a project at the moment which has a circuit which I need help calculating the correct size cable for;

The circuit is for an 18.5kw 400v motor. I have used the following

Load – 18.5kw

V- 400v

Efficiency – 90%

PF – 0.95

Voltage Drop – 5%

Cable Length – 50mtr

Earthing – TN-C-S

Correction factor – 0.9

Protective device type B 40A

Installation – In cable duct

Cable Type – 4 core armoured XLPE

My problem is that the software gives the option of 5 different circuit arrangements

1. Radial

2. Sub Mains

3. Ring

4. Motor DOL

5. Motor Star-Delta

My motor is using a variable speed drive, which isn’t an option. If I use the software and select DOL then it tells me 16mm cable but any of the other options gives me 10mm.

In my experience I would think 6mm would be ok if the MCB had been a Type C 32A but I didn’t supply the panel and it is a 40A B type which I am stuck with.

Can anyone advise?

I would think if I select Motor star-delta in the software and use a 10mm cable then my cable report would be okay and I would be covered?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2
    1)If the MCB it is for overload protection the Iz[cable carrying capacity]of the cable has not to be more than MCB In[rated].So, the cable has to withstand at least 40 A.

In my opinion, the installation method [BS 7671 Table 4A2 pos.70] has to be D.

According to Table 4E4A column 7 for 20oC Earth and 2.5 K.m/W resistivity 4*10 mm^2 XLPE insulated copper conductors Iz=58 A. If the correction factor-for other Earth resistivity and/or other temperature [more than 20oC] is 0.9 then Iz= 52.2 A.

2) According to Table 4E4B column 4 the voltage drop will be 4 [mV/A/m].

If the motor starting method will be D.O.L. the Istart/In= 6-8 and the voltage drop for 4*10 copper will be 9.5-12.5%.

However, if VSD-variable speed drive- is actually VFD[variable frequency drive] then Istart/In =<1.5.then the voltage drop will be only 2.34%.

4. Sep 6, 2016 #3
    Iz[cable carrying capacity]of the cable has not to be more than MCB In has to be "not less" instead of " more" of course!:blushing:

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/csa-of-cable-for-motor-with-vsd.884052/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted