Current at Resistor 2: How to Calculate using Capacitor Voltage and Ohm's Law

In summary, the conversation is discussing question 8 of a homework assignment involving a circuit with resistors, a capacitor, and an ideal battery. The conversation includes a discussion of the solution method used in the provided resource and an alternative method proposed by one of the participants. The summary also mentions the use of the equation i=dq/dt=-(q/RC)e^-t/RC to calculate the instantaneous current.
Tiago3434

Homework Statement

In Fig. 27-66, R1= 10.0 kΩ, R2 = 15.0 kΩ, C = 0.400 µF, and the ideal battery has emf E = 20.0 V. First, the switch is closed a long time so that the steady state is reached. Then the switch is opened at time t = 0. What is the current in resistor 2 at t = 4.00 ms?

This is question 8 of the following pdf if you need the picture (I don´t have a clue about how to include a picture in the question)
http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~majewski/2049/solns/hw5/hw5_solutions.pdf
It´s also question 65 of chapter 27 of Halliday
upload_2017-11-21_22-44-51.png
{Schematic added by mentor}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the solution the way it´s done through the voltage drop across the capacitor being the same as through resistor 2, but I don´t get why couldn´t i just find the current in the circuit at time t=4ms, given that all the charge in one of the plates passes through resistor 2? I know this method right here is wrong, because it yields a different answer, but could someone tell me why?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-21_22-44-51.png
    upload_2017-11-21_22-44-51.png
    3 KB · Views: 1,595
Physics news on Phys.org
Tiago3434 said:
given that all the charge in one of the plates passes through resistor 2?
How do you know that?

Isaac0427 Well, if the we disconnect the key, won´t all the charge built up in one of the plates be forced to pass through resistor 2?

Tiago3434 said:
Isaac0427 Well, if the we disconnect the key, won´t all the charge built up in one of the plates be forced to pass through resistor 2?
Yes, eventually. But not in 4.00 ms! You do not know how much charge passes through the plate at 4.00 ms (until you get the voltage). But even then it would only give you average current, but you want instantaneous current.

Likes scottdave
Tiago3434 said:

Homework Statement

In Fig. 27-66, R1= 10.0 kΩ, R2 = 15.0 kΩ, C = 0.400 µF, and the ideal battery has emf E = 20.0 V. First, the switch is closed a long time so that the steady state is reached. Then the switch is opened at time t = 0. What is the current in resistor 2 at t = 4.00 ms?

This is question 8 of the following pdf if you need the picture (I don´t have a clue about how to include a picture in the question)
http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~majewski/2049/solns/hw5/hw5_solutions.pdf
It´s also question 65 of chapter 27 of Halliday
View attachment 215421{Schematic added by mentor}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the solution the way it´s done through the voltage drop across the capacitor being the same as through resistor 2, but I don´t get why couldn´t i just find the current in the circuit at time t=4ms, given that all the charge in one of the plates passes through resistor 2? I know this method right here is wrong, because it yields a different answer, but could someone tell me why?
What exactly u can't understand in this solution?

Tiago3434 said:
Perhaps you could elaborate your attempted solution with the math associated with it so that we can see exactly what it is you've tried?

Wouldn´t the expression i=dq/dt=-(q/RC)e^-t/RC give me the instantaneous current? With q being the equilibrium charge

Tiago3434 said:
Wouldn´t the expression i=dq/dt=-(q/RC)e^-t/RC give me the instantaneous current? With q being the equilibrium charge
That’s exactly what the resource you showed did.

The source calculated the voltage drop across the capacitor as a function of time and then used ohm´s law. I proposed going directly to the current using the above expression.

Tiago3434 said:
The source calculated the voltage drop across the capacitor as a function of time and then used ohm´s law. I proposed going directly to the current using the above expression.
Combine the two steps that the source took. Remember that V=q/C.

1. What is the definition of current at resistor 2?

The current at resistor 2 refers to the flow of electric charge through a specific resistor, measured in amperes (A). It is also known as the electric current or simply the current.

2. How is the current at resistor 2 calculated?

The current at resistor 2 is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula I = V/R.

3. What factors affect the current at resistor 2?

The current at resistor 2 is affected by the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the resistor itself, and the overall circuit design. Other factors such as temperature and material properties may also have an impact.

4. How does the current at resistor 2 differ from the current at other resistors in a circuit?

The current at resistor 2 will be affected by the specific resistance and voltage values at that point in the circuit. This means that the current at resistor 2 may be different from the current at other resistors, depending on their respective resistance and voltage values.

5. Can the current at resistor 2 change over time?

Yes, the current at resistor 2 can change over time if the voltage or resistance in the circuit changes. This can also occur due to external factors such as temperature fluctuations or changes in the circuit's components.