Current-carrying coil and solenoid

Meow12
What is the difference between a current-carrying coil and a solenoid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Baluncore said:
The difference is the current.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid
Assume that the same current I passes through the coil and the solenoid. Honestly, that picture in the Wikipedia article looks like a coil to me. It seems that both a coil and a solenoid have N turns of a current-carrying wire with radius r, and I don't see the difference.

Meow12 said:
Assume that the same current I passes through the coil and the solenoid.
Then the only difference is the shape of the coil.
A solenoid is a helix.
A coil wound on a toroid, or as a planar spiral, is not a helix, so not a solenoid.

Likes Meow12

1. How does a current-carrying coil produce a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a coil of wire, it generates a magnetic field around the coil. This is due to the movement of the charged particles (electrons) in the wire, which creates a circular magnetic field according to the right-hand rule.

2. What is the difference between a current-carrying coil and a solenoid?

A current-carrying coil is simply a coil of wire through which an electric current flows, producing a magnetic field. A solenoid, on the other hand, is a specific type of coil designed to generate a uniform magnetic field when a current passes through it. It typically has a cylindrical shape with a length much greater than its diameter.

3. How can the strength of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying coil be increased?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying coil can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the current flowing through the coil, or using a material with higher magnetic permeability for the core of the coil.

4. What are some applications of current-carrying coils and solenoids?

Current-carrying coils and solenoids are commonly used in electromagnets, electric motors, transformers, and inductors. They are also used in various scientific experiments and devices, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

5. Can a current-carrying coil or solenoid generate an electric field?

While a current-carrying coil or solenoid primarily generates a magnetic field, it can also induce an electric field when the magnetic field changes. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many electrical devices and technologies.